Doctor Who... Page 1,083

Decent coherent story without too much faff, proper nasty bastard Daleks again and Fantastic Voyage in a Dalek is a decent idea.

But everyone except Peter Capaldi is shit. He's very, very good as a distinctly nasty Dr [crikey finally they got that right]. So this ones a big improvement a strong B.

But jeezus no tension at all, when uncle threatened to kill them he might as well minced upto Dr and said, oooh I'll smack your legs cheeky.

And again action sequences are kinda weak and flimsy, stop doing shoot outs they look cack compared to the scenes in Easties when Phil gets his hands on a sawn off.

So it's good but no tension, no story. If it didn't have Capaldi this would be a C heading to a D.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th August 2014, 9:27 PM BST

Zooo and Dalek sitting in a tree...

I so would.

How would you get a Dalek up a tree.

Quote: sootyj @ 30th August 2014, 9:37 PM BST

How would you get up a Dalek up a tree.

I'd tell you but you'd only get banned from Forbidden Planet again.

It was poor and made no sense.

There were some good ideas like dalek antibodies but they were ruined by inconsistent application - they killed when "good dalek" was in charge but didn't when, er, the bad dalek went good again.

Russell T Davies would have done this so much better. Mawkish or not, we would have had a reason to care about Journey and her clan. Moffatt doesn't give us that.

Having said all that it was better than last week.

Good to see you again Badge.

In old Who or Star Trek or Button Moon there are no random alien races.

Yet here we had people with the resistance, with no character, history or anything. It's just lazy, lazy writing and where did all these Daleks come from, who are they fighting I thought they were wiped out.

And for flips sake less crappy action sequences this stuff is considerably worse than US shows were doing 30 years ago.
[that said I'm holding onto my higher rating for the excellent Capaldi but even he's going to wear against such tepid tales]

oh and Daleks eat people now, that's a bit shit.

Quote: Badge @ 30th August 2014, 10:47 PM BST

There were some good ideas like dalek antibodies

That one wasn't even their idea though, was it, it was a direct lift from Fantastic Voyage. Interesting that the Doctor himself alluded to the film early on, so that we knew that the writers knew that we'd know about the film...but that didn't help the fact that there was a bit of a 'seen it before' feel to the whole thing.

I still liked it on the whole though, despite the flaws which I try hard not to think about during the show, to avoid it ruining my viewing pleasure. Of course, it doesn't always work; like, I'm not sure how one old rusty dalek can take out a whole company of fit healthy daleks.

Both episodes this series have so blatantly "borrowed" from elsewhere that the scripts have knowingly/shamefacedly referred to the inspiration.

What concerns me most about Who right now is how many people are willing to ignore how poor it has become. Compare this episode and "Dalek" from the first series and it's like watching totally different programmes.

that certainly is true.

It's given up on The Simpsons principle that any character however small needs a backstory.

The only good news is Capaldi.
He's been allowed to ditch the "confused by my change" schtick (even though it's happened ten times before!!) -and replaced it with a proper, darker doctor.
The rest is down to it's usual standard.

Are we opening a book on the role of 'heaven' yet?
Is that biddy collecting all the people the Doctor has offed - to confront him at the end of the run in the usual "Am I a good man?" finale??

I don't know all I know is it'll probably be dull and incomprehensible.

That said Morwenna if that's her name is rather good.

Oh and how boring is the inside of a Dalek, properly back to old 1970s shaky walled sets.

Not a good thing

Not sure about the importance of introducing the new romance storyline, hopefully it may be significant as time goes on.

I think there was a scrap of interesting idea, something they started in the previous series.
That the Dr's companions live with him, they have lives of their own and only meet up with him when he needs them.
But it's a lone goodish idea in a weak episode.

Quote: sootyj @ 31st August 2014, 2:16 PM BST

I don't know all I know is it'll probably be dull and incomprehensible.

That said Morwenna if that's her name is rather good.

Oh and how boring is the inside of a Dalek, properly back to old 1970s shaky walled sets.

Not a good thing

(Michelle Gomez. Not Morwenna Banks.)

meh they're both women

Can't argue with that.