EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 2

Quote: beaky @ 24th January 2016, 3:23 PM GMT

indefinitely.

adverb: indefinitely

"For an unlimited or unspecified period of time."

Is that an option on the voting paper?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th January 2016, 7:07 PM GMT

They're ALL lying bastards.

You're probably right, but some(Thatcher) are evil bastards.

The trick will be getting people to care.
If they don't, all the undecideds will either not vote or vote for staying as we are - afraid of change.
Not sure the 'out' lot have much chance.

I reckon it will be an overwhelming Out. People are sick of being told what to do by Brussels.

Economically there's no getting away from our need to access large markets. Japan, America and many other trading partners use the UK as their access to EU. Not just the favourable trading terms but also our diplomatic pull. We would lose our status as a finacial hub. Scottish business made this point at their referendum and if it were not for that, they'd be a little fish out of water as would we if we jump out of Europe.

As for all the other argument, fair play, I don't like the red tape either. But 3 large single markets were predicted in Orwell's 1984 and we are now living them: The North American Trade agreement; the European Union and SE Asia alliance (i.e. China).

In times of turmoil we become protective, we lean to the extremes of politics. But unless you want to win a war, extremes of politics are very bad for the economy. Who would have thought the BNP or SNP would become the government. Look what happened in Greece, for all their revolution and hard talk, Europe had them for breakfast. So I'm defiantly in. However being up north we're fed up with London telling us what to do, so...

They said on the radio yesterday that Norway which isn't a EU member is 7th in the league table of "European countries most integrated with the EU", way ahead of the UK, and 4th in the table of the biggest European financial contributors to the EU. One of their politicians added that while officially they were out they were in truth 75% in including having open borders. They were only separate on fisheries and agricultural policies.

So there you have the best indication of the current referendum con and why it isn't worth listening to any of the arguments. If the UK votes to leave, it will still be 75% in with open borders, even fuller integration and probably making an even bigger contribution. It isn't so much they will have another referendum to get the in result they prefer but they will fix it so that the UK is to all intents and purposes still in even though it's out.

Like everything else in politics now, it is all a sham.

Quote: keewik @ 24th January 2016, 10:11 PM GMT

You're probably right, but some(Thatcher) are evil bastards.

You're getting 'Thatcher' and 'Scargill' confused again, keewik!

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th January 2016, 6:45 PM GMT

Look what happened in Grease, for all their revolution and hard talk, Europe had them for breakfast. So I'm defiantly in.

Hmmm...

Quote: Aaron @ 25th January 2016, 9:33 PM GMT

You're getting 'Thatcher' and 'Scargill' confused again, keewik!

Don't you know they were secretly siblings, hence their pact to destroy the miners?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 23rd January 2016, 11:38 PM GMT

I'm disenfranchised because I want us to be a member of a nine country EEC as in 1973.

In fact, I want all of 2016 to be 1973.

In 1973 my parents got married and Bruce Lee died (unrelated incidents).

Belly button: In
Europe: In

If we leave Europe, where would we move to?

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 25th January 2016, 11:18 PM GMT

In 1973 my parents got married and Bruce Lee died (unrelated incidents).

Belly button: In
Europe: In

If we leave Europe, where would we move to?

I moved to Florida in 1973. At any given time it seems like half the UK is already at Disney World, so maybe nobody would even notice.

I want to be in an EU that actually sticks to the rules it makes.

Those people who will vote 'no', do you never travel in the EU? I imagine that would get more difficult and expensive if we were 'out'.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th January 2016, 9:33 PM GMT

Hmmm...

Not too sure what you mean by that Aaron. Maybe I should clarify. Grease is the best example I can think of where a Nationalist party has demanded big concession from Europe. They had nothing to lose, but the UK has plenty to lose. Also they demonstrate how nationalistic parties rely on charismatic leader winning over harts, and bending the facts to suit their argument (more so that the middle ground). They threw everything at it, they incited hatred towards Germany pushed the blame away and ensured they hit the world press hard. They did this masterfully , but still Europe had them for breakfast.

And yet a vein Cameron then tried to win concessions by back room negotiation and we were eaten for breakfast , even though he had the threat of a referendum to back him up. Then Greece vote out their extreme party, which is good news for Greece. Point being, most politicians would like more control but we need Politicians that do the right thing for the country and that isn't always by slowly creeping towards total control. Hence being in Europe makes Economic sense. Playing Russian roulette with Merkel could easily end in disaster for the UK.

Quote: Nogget @ 26th January 2016, 8:36 AM GMT

Those people who will vote 'no', do you never travel in the EU? I imagine that would get more difficult and expensive if we were 'out'.

Could cause big trouble for them if it does, Brits bring more money via tourism than anyone bar the Germans. Same applies if their produce prices go up, their markets will suffer because we can get all we want from SA, USA, C&S Am, China Aus an NZ, definitely in terms of food produce. And most non food produce already comes from outside EU.

I'm not that sure we'll vote to leave, might be fairly close but Cameron will get some kind of halfway deal at eleventh hour if it looks that close. When they see we could really leave they will give way on some their nonsense rules. Or as I do half suspect some countries like France, Italy, Greece, Spain are hoping we'll leave to pave the way for them going. They're just getting us to do the leg work and be unpopular with everyone. I do sense this is spelling the end of the big bossy EU if not the actual end just yet. Our economic power could swallow up half of Europe like little sardines.

Maybe I should clarify. Grease is the best example

Grease is the word..........

Sorry

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th January 2016, 10:12 AM GMT

Grease is the word..........

Sorry

Thanks Stephen. So that's what Hmmm... means. I guess a dyslexic needs more than a spell checker *bangs head against wall*.