EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 11

Well, if you vote 'Out' you'll help him on his way and God help Britain. Also God help Scotland - he's not our friend.

Quote: keewik @ 20th May 2016, 9:35 PM BST

Well, if you vote 'Out' you'll help him on his way and God help Britain. Also God help Scotland - he's not our friend.

Even a Corbyn premiership is worth voting Leave for.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 19th May 2016, 10:59 PM BST

This is what I think everytime I see the thread Laughing out loud

I know sod all about it all but I personally think it will be a disaster for the economy and world relations if we leave the EU and I'm highly suspect of all the politicians in favour of it.

Our economy is totally and utterly f**ked

Were about £1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 in debt!

Ask Greece how good being in the EU is for their economy

The question I'm asking myself, as someone over 60 years of age, is "should I vote at all?". If I did so I would vote to leave (I voted "no" in 1975).

But I strongly believe that voting in this referendum should be limited to those under 60 (or even younger). Those over 60 have already voted once, albeit on a slightly different question, and their decision duly implemented for better or for worse.

The polls say that younger people are more likely to vote to stay in. What right have I, who has no long term future and who hasn't got to worry about any impact on the job market, got to interfere with those who have?

Let's face it - my generation has already messed up the world for future generations. Let those whose long term future it will affect now decide their own destiny.

We have to leave. I'm pissed off being dictated to by Brussels. All this scaremongering is bollocks. Nobody knows what will happen if we leave. The world will still want our money whether we're in the EU or not.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th May 2016, 11:50 PM BST

Let those whose long term future it will affect now decide their own destiny.

Good point, well made.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th May 2016, 10:41 PM BST

I'm pissed off being dictated to by Brussels. All this scaremongering is bollocks. Nobody knows what will happen if we leave.

I share your sentiment about being dictated by Brussels, but we can predict what will happen when we leave. Obama, the Bank of England, a long list of FT100 companies and others have already told us, they will use it as an opportunity to negotiate our trading terms downwards. Why wouldn't they ? The rules of Economics ignore the likes of Borris and Galloway (as they ignore them).

The uncertainty is on the leave campaign, because they aren't able to present us with anything but calling the opposition liars and scaremongers. Must say, I'd hoped they come up with a better argument, as leaving does sound appealing. But they haven't. Vote to leave, but tighten your belt as unemployment will rise, British equities will fall and so will the pension pots that rely on this. That's not fair on future generations, who need those jobs. And for what - just so we tell the Boss to stuff it ?

EU Referendum - In Or Out, shake it all about, you do the hokey-kokey and you turn around, that's what it's all about, ohhhhhhhhh hokey kokey kokey.................

Got my voting cards this morning and I have place them in the slot of my recycling bin already! :)

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th May 2016, 7:56 AM BST

Vote to leave, but tighten your belt as unemployment will rise, British equities will fall and so will the pension pots that rely on this. That's not fair on future generations, who need those jobs. And for what - just so we tell the Boss to stuff it ?

Our pension pots have been whittled down to nothing anyway because of mass immigration causing a glut of cheap labour and no need for expensive pensions from employers.

Jobs to future generations of what? EU immigrants who've flooded in to take our jobs for half the wages we demand. A vote for In is a vote for the them, not us.

None of their fears or threats will materialise for long if we leave, without Britain the whole silly project will collapse, and hopefully we can start rebuilding our own distinctive identities again instead of being forced to be modern Europeans! >_<

F**k Europe, they think eating yoghurt for breakfast, mass corporate corruption, cheating in sport and adultery is perfectly acceptable and all hate the British for daring to tell them it's not. They're f**ked up over there! Get us ouuuut!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th May 2016, 8:18 AM BST

F**k Europe, they think eating yoghurt for breakfast is perfectly acceptable and all hate the British for daring to tell them it's not.

They did give us chips with mayonnaise though which I quite like, and not forgetting of course . . . erm, no - that's all I've got.
Cool

My opinion polls.

Comedy Guide:

http://www.datahighways.net/voting/vote.asp http://www.datahighways.net/voting/result.asp

Remain: 9 Leave 13 Dunno 1

Facebook:
Remain 4 Leave 4 Dunno 0

Twitter
Remain 1 Leave 5 Dunno 0

Should we stay or should we go now?
Should we stay or should we go now?
If we go there will be trouble
And if we stay it will be double

Anyone with half a brain knows it's all bollocks.

Nobody KNOWS what will happen WHEN we leave. All those scaremongers are getting backhanders from the EU.

I can still see valid arguments from both camps, but Stephen Hawking articulated my initial gut reaction, and he is right about everything:

"Gone are the days we could stand on our own, against the world. We need to be part of a larger group of nations, both for our security, and our trade."

:|

The Doom&Gloom brigade in the Remain camp are at it again: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/national/14539843.Brexit_could_cost___34_4bn_in__export_tax___warn_Javid_and_Mandelson/

The new Britain Stronger In Europe analysis found that leaving the EU's single market would create a £34.4 billion "export tax" from the erection of non-tariff barriers on UK businesses that export to the EU. This is equivalent to an average £79,500 for each of the 430,000 British businesses that export to the EU.

and http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-david-cameron-urges-voters-to-register-as-leave-camp-surges-ahead-a7068386.html

The Remain campaign has published an analysis claiming UK exporters would face £34.4bn 'Export Tax' from cost of non-tariff barriers alone if Britain leaves the EU's Single Market. This, they say, represents an average cost of £79,500 for each of the 430,000 British businesses that export to the EU.

The thing is that there appears to be no such analysis online and no references are given to its name, authors or any other provenance, so there's no way of checking the assumptions made in deriving this estimate.

Cameron accuses the Leave camp of lying, yet he does it all the time, maybe not explicitly, but by exaggeration, ommission and probably by quoting the worst case situations in tone and words that make that worst case seem to apply to all cases.

This is the closest desription to the real source of these figures that I have found so far:

http://www.strongerin.co.uk/economic_reality_check_for_leave_campaigners#osmpMhORPmX8X48Q.97

Business secretaries and the CBI: reality check on exports

Former Business Secretary, Peter Mandelson, and current Business Secretary, Sajid Javid, will warn at a press conference in Central London at 10am today that if Britain leaves Europe our businesses will face trade barriers. In a joint letter to the Vote Leave campaign they write: "A campaign to leave the EU's single market without a plan for an alternative is an act of economic sabotage which would risk thousands of jobs, billions of trade and investment and the future economic stability of our country."
They will be joined by the head of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn, to say that Britain's economy is stronger within the EU's single market.
New analysis from Stronger In today shows UK exporters face £34.4bn 'Export Tax' from cost of non-tariff barriers alone if Britain leaves the EU's Single Market, which is an average £79,500 hit for each of the 430,000 British businesses that export to the EU.

Read more at http://www.strongerin.co.uk/economic_reality_check_for_leave_campaigners#QGrOfLgdBzlr4vDl.99

Little tip for the Remain campaigners... There is no Reality Check in figures pulled out of thin air.

Is that 34.4 billion pounds even remotely realistic?

1. From https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/OTS.aspx we see that UK exports are around 26 billion per month.

2. From https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/EU_and_Non-EU_Data.aspx we see that the EU portion of that is around the famous oft-quoted 44%, so the numerical value of exports to the EU is around 11.4 billion per month or 137 billion per annum.

So the amazing extra cost 34.4 billion in todays speeches is 25% of the annual trade figure. They claimed that was the average figure and applied to every business that exports to the EU.

Yet we see in a table tpublished earlier from the treasury report (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/517415/treasury_analysis_economic_impact_of_eu_membership_web.pdf) that a 25% tariff only applied to some categories of goods and the average was around 5 and a bit %. So maybe, unmentioned thereby making it look an immediate cost and cause panic, that the 34.4 billion£ is the total across the 15 year span of the former treasury report. Ah well that implies a cost of 1.67% per annum. It doesn't look very frightening now does it!

Oh, but the 34.4 billion applies to NON-TARIFF barriers.. So what are these?
Well Google says they are:

A nontariff barrier is a form of restrictive trade where barriers to trade are set up and take a form other than a tariff. Nontariff barriers include quotas, levies, embargoes, sanctions and other restrictions, and are frequently used by large and developed economies.

Oh you mean like all the EU rules & regulations.... But we ALREADY COMPLY with these so there is no extra cost. Do you seriously think the the EU will impose new non-tariff restrictions other than their obligatory WTO tariff, if they want to buy stuff from the UK?

As for non-Tariff barriers with non-EU countries, well as I said before if they exist between Country XXX and the EU we already pay them and if we leave the EU they are likely to stay the same or be reduced by country XXX.

So as far as I can see the whole analysis published today is hogwash.

One thing I do agree with is the use of a goat video to get people to register:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36472498