Up The Women - Series 2 Page 2

The hall is the main set, but the kitchen is a separate bit of the set that's often used. And they've also used the big porch / main entrance. :)

Quote: Bonzo @ 1st February 2015, 5:58 PM GMT

I don't feel that it looks cheap and I like all the characters, especially Gwen. Different sitcoms suit different people and of course, unless your job is to review all sitcoms, you could always choose something else - there seems to be a lot more choice of sitcoms to watch recently. :)

No it's not my job to 'review all sitcoms', but I am a comedy fan, so therefore like to give most shows a try. This is a forum devoted to giving an opinion on the good, bad and the ugly (comedy wise) so if it's OK with you, I'll continue. Thank you kindly.

Yes, ok! :)

Quote: Bonzo @ 1st February 2015, 11:06 PM GMT

Yes, ok! :)

Fair enough :D

Ep2 was much better. It's great to see that female characters are taking the lead and it certainly passes the Bechdel Test. The script also treats the viewers as intelligent beings.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd February 2015, 1:04 PM GMT

Ep2 was much better. It's great to see that female characters are taking the lead and it certainly passes the Bechdel Test. The script also treats the viewers as intelligent beings.

How the hell would you know? ;)

Actually better double the ;)

:)

Quote: Marc P @ 2nd February 2015, 1:20 PM GMT

How the hell would you know? ;)

Actually better double the ;)

:)

I know because I've bugged the whole of the UK's sitting rooms. Oh yes. I am writing this from my secret volcanic lair...

Rebekah Staton was brilliant in her guest appearance this week.

How did this go in the end? What were the ratings anyone know? I saw ep 1 then totally forgot about it. Didn't seem to be much advertising on Beeb for it which is odd for a BBC2 show.

The whole thing was so low key and modest looking that you sort of feel, well I do, that this was a completely token sitcom commission. That's not the sort of thing anyone wants, artist or audience.

I'll admit to having given up on Series Two after watching two episodes. I agree that the Beeb didn't promote it particularly well though, but the Radio Times was always supportive of both the cast and the writing. Perhaps it fits neatly into the term one of the other BCGers coined recently: "a sitdram?"

I've enjoyed both series, though it is admittedly light on really big laughs (those that are there are usually courtesy of Ryan Sampson) and could do with a bit more bite overall, I do find it consistently enjoyable, well-acted and, yes, funny, if only gently so! I would rate it a minor triumph, but can see why it's not exactly set the world alight.

Strangely the final episode was very clearly meant to be the Christmas special, hinting at it sitting on the shelf for a few months, so if it's that low priority I doubt we'll see a series three. Pity, as it could do well in a better time slot (the 'Still Open All Hours' slot for example).

I loved it. Admittedly it looked (and was) dirt cheap and the scripts weren't always up to par, but its amazing cast of immensely talented people more than made up for it.

Yeah I thought the cast were good but deserved a much funnier sitcom, it's a waste of talent really. Subtlety and nuance are not sitcom things, this modern style is just wrong for studio sitcom. When will someone tell them? Huh?

How do you know if you don't watch? Maybe you just like female orientated sitcoms?

Er I did watch. First 4 episodes, that's nearly half the output. And I would have watched more had it been stronger.