Up The Women - Series 2

I've just caught up on last week's episode, namely S2, EP1. Great cast, some funny lines and an interesting concept, but funny, well, no. I had previously seen S1, but felt the same way. I'll give EP2 a whirl though.

It's not my cup of tea. It is utter crap IMO

Quote: G180e @ 26th January 2015, 8:15 PM GMT

It's not my cup of tea. It is utter crap IMO

You have a point. It's a shame because it's a primarily female cast and Morwenna Banks is one of the co-writers.

I really love it - can't wait for episode 2.

I like it.. but the audience laughter is horrendous this time round. Gah, I thought we'd reached the point where the Beeb had stopped putting laughter on, but here it is again.

Quote: Geffers @ 27th January 2015, 1:22 PM GMT

I like it.. but the audience laughter is horrendous this time round. Gah, I thought we'd reached the point where the Beeb had stopped putting laughter on, but here it is again.

It's recorded in front of a studio audience (I've been at 2 of the recordings) and the audience really are laughing that much! :)

Can we get Bonzo on screen where she won't make up the laughter track?

A very good comedy. Just saw both series last night and thought it was really funny. Intelligently written and not for those who are more eager to see a male dominated cast. I only wish they could take them out of the same place and into some suffragette action with other women and possibly some confrontation with men.

Clearly misunderstood and under appreciated.

Felt terrible about the Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle pun, though he was declared innocent, but hey, that's the way it went back in the day. He was the first casualty of what would become the gossip page.

Quote: Alphonseuss @ 30th January 2015, 8:14 PM GMT

A very good comedy. Just saw both series last night and thought it was really funny. Intelligently written and not for those who are more eager to see a male dominated cast. I only wish they could take them out of the same place and into some suffragette action with other women and possibly some confrontation with men.

Clearly misunderstood and under appreciated.

Felt terrible about the Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle pun, though he was declared innocent, but hey, that's the way it went back in the day. He was the first casualty of what would become the gossip page.

It's not misunderstood by me; I simply wish that it was funnier. It is a comedy after all.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 30th January 2015, 8:32 PM GMT

It's not misunderstood by me; I simply wish that it was funnier. It is a comedy after all.

Couldn't agree more. One-joke characters and laboured. The hunger strike-cheese eating business was interminable. A good cast deserves better.

Quote: italophile @ 1st February 2015, 8:51 AM GMT

A good cast deserves better.

Indeed, so does the idea or sit. Hynes is talented and very likeable but for me her style is too subtle and nuanced, maybe too influenced by the modern non audience sitcom form she's worked with since Spaced.

An SAS needs you to go for the big laughs and UTW's are small. The whole set up is too small. Even Dad's Army which had a very similar set up wouldn't have survived staying in the hall the whole time.

The sit has good comedy potential which looks like it's not going to be realised here because of the smallness of the scripts and possibly the budget. Is this the cheapest made sitcom ever, and more worryingly was that the only reason the Beeb commissioned it? :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st February 2015, 11:57 AM GMT

Indeed, so does the idea or sit. Hynes is talented and very likeable but for me her style is too subtle and nuanced, maybe too influenced by the modern non audience sitcom form she's worked with since Spaced.

An SAS needs you to go for the big laughs and UTW's are small. The whole set up is too small. Even Dad's Army which had a very similar set up wouldn't have survived staying in the hall the whole time.

The sit has good comedy potential which looks like it's not going to be realised here because of the smallness of the scripts and possibly the budget. Is this the cheapest made sitcom ever, and more worryingly was that the only reason the Beeb commissioned it? :(

Absolutely spot on. I think that it is *really* cheap to make. Without wishing to sound narky, I'm getting sick of the sight of the permacasting of actresses such as Rebecca Front and Olivia Colman (I know she's not in this series, but she's bound to show up at some point sporting a long skirt and a bad wig.) I know that they're talented, but I'm getting kind of bored of seeing/hearing them everywhere.

Is the title a play on words?

I don't feel that it looks cheap and I like all the characters, especially Gwen. Different sitcoms suit different people and of course, unless your job is to review all sitcoms, you could always choose something else - there seems to be a lot more choice of sitcoms to watch recently. :)

I must be the most unobservant person ever. I hadn't really noticed they'd never left the hall.