The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 12

Quote: Declan @ 22nd April 2014, 11:13 AM BST

Would anyone like to define 'sitcom'?

Is it 15 minutes long and stageable? No, hang on, not necessarily stageable? But definitely 15 minutes long?

Quote: Badge @ 22nd April 2014, 11:19 AM BST

Is it 15 minutes long and stageable? No, hang on, not necessarily stageable? But definitely 15 minutes long?

Bingo

:)

And so the thread is back on track.

Mission accomplished! :)

Quote: Declan @ 22nd April 2014, 11:13 AM BST

Would anyone like to define 'sitcom'?

I guess the thing is that in the main, a sitcom pretty much returns to the status quo at the end of each episode, in terms of the show's emotion structural dynamics, whereas a comedy drama doesn't have to do this - and pretty much doesn't over the arc of the series. As I say... in the main. :)

You know a sitcom is not a comedy drama. Nowadays 'sitcom' is a label being used for both sitcom and comdram as a handy collective. It's why we've lost the separate definitions. Before Gervais showed up we clearly knew what each one was. I wish we would go back to that.

If it helps you Alfred, The Office is a sitcom. So is Rev.

Quote: Marc P @ 22nd April 2014, 11:52 AM BST

Mission accomplished! :)

I guess the thing is that in the main, a sitcom pretty much returns to the status quo at the end of each episode, in terms of the show's emotion structural dynamics, whereas a comedy drama doesn't have to do this - and pretty much doesn't over the arc of the series. As I say... in the main. :)

Good, someone else believes they are different beings too. I'll add that one contains a measure of drama too. I'll let you guess which one.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 22nd April 2014, 12:01 PM BST

Good, someone else believes they are different beings too. I'll add that one contains a measure of drama too. I'll let you guess which one.

Name a Sitcom with no drama.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 22nd April 2014, 12:12 PM BST

much funnier than a typical comdram

But is 'funnier' the definition of SitCom?

I think it's all a bit like the "when does a biscuit become a cake" argument.
Do I like it - don't I like it, does for me.
The very fact that so many shows blur the line makes one question whether there's a need for a line in the first place.

Fair question now so much TV comedy has become more dramatic. For me yes, you need the line for listing purposes so viewers know what type of show is on. Minder is nothing like Fawlty Towers.

Sorry Lazzard, I took a look and thought it seemed I was hogging the page. So er, now you are, oops. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd April 2014, 12:38 PM BST

I think it's all a bit like the "when does a biscuit become a cake" argument.

A very important argument that is too.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vfoodmanual/VFOOD6260.htm

So a man walks into a bakery in Edinburgh, points at the display cabinet and asks the assistant. 'Is that a biscuit or a meringue?' And the assistant replies, 'No sir, you are quite correct. That is a biscuit.'

Laughing out loud

To my shame, I had to read that a few times to get it. :$

Lol. ;)