Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 3

Quote: zooo @ October 9 2013, 6:15 PM BST

There are!

"I stand corrected", said the man in the orthopedic shoes! (Dan Moody, I'm Alan Partridge S2)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 9 2013, 6:14 PM BST

I'll watch it but this can't work:

1. No Ronnie Barker/Arkwright
2. Granville is 120 years old so what made him funny in the original shows, being an unexperienced insecure boy, can't be revisited now.
3. There are no little grocery stores in the 21th century (correct me if I'm wrong)

So nearly every aspect of the original premise is missing. You can't do a James Bond movie without the main character, without a manic villain and technical gadgets.

That's a very good point, but hopefully the writers will acknowledge that and play on those changes.

3. There are no little grocery stores in the 21th century (correct me if I'm wrong)

You're wrong. :) And it's 21st.

2. Granville is 120 years old so what made him funny in the original shows, being an unexperienced insecure boy, can't be revisited now.

Granville was never really a boy... he was over 30 and looked it from the start of the show.

Quote: Aaron @ October 9 2013, 8:00 PM BST

And it's 21st.

:)

Quote: MTpromises @ October 9 2013, 8:10 PM BST

Granville was never really a boy... he was over 30 and looked it from the start of the show.

Is it international know-all day? Yes, but he behaved as if he were a little boy. And the character was about 25, no matter how old David Jason was at the time.

When I was little and watched the repeats I thought he was about 40. Always thought it was a bit weird that he was treated practically like a teenager.

But anyway, as you say it doesn't matter, the character was 20 something.

Just watched the pilot episode again. A very, very young Keith Chegwin comes into the shop and buys an ice pop.
Could you have a comedy character today who stammers and the audience laugh when he does? I d-d-d doubt it very much.

Quote: Ringo @ October 10 2013, 9:26 PM BST

Could you have a comedy character today who stammers and the audience laugh when he does? I d-d-d doubt it very much.

Mostly because there's probably no current comic actor as talented as Ronnie. It's not the impediment that's funny, but his portrayal of it in how Arkwright handles and responds to it.

Just watched the pilot episode again. A very, very young Keith Chegwin comes into the shop and buys an ice pop.

That was really Keith Chegwin? Must watch my DVDs again.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 10 2013, 11:30 PM BST

That was really Keith Chegwin? Must watch my DVDs again.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/open_all_hours/episodes/0/1/

That episode should have been called 'Cheggers Plays Shop'.

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 11 2013, 1:12 PM BST

Is the Milk Woman (Barbara Flynn) making an appearance?

That would make sense. Granville could reunite with her and become a nervous insecure teenager again.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 11 2013, 1:36 PM BST

That would make sense. Granville could reunite with her and become a nervous insecure teenager again.

She might be Granville's wife. We know he will have a son.

I'm intrigued by this but I'm glad they're not trying to do an overblown special. Smacks of the Perrin Legacy thing which is a worry but for 30 minutes a couple of daydream cut aways to Arkwright would suffice methinks. Part of me wonders if a 15 minute Comic Relief skit would've been a better idea.