Badults - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 27 2013, 12:37 PM BST

I wouldn't worry about it mate. None of the people slagging this know shit from a synecdoche.

I could play a game on here popping into threads to see what people say about shows I think are good but it wouldn't be a game because the word game suggests an unpredictable outcome. Generally you shouldn't go against the audience but when it comes to most of the commenters on this thread I would scotch that rule.

I've only seen the one episode (with the five thousand pounds) and basically tuned in to slag it off but was quickly won over by the quality of the gags, acting and set-up.

It seems modelled on The Young Ones - right down to the surreal comedy inserts - incidentally both the Darwin Twitter gag and the signing girl ones were excellent. I even liked the 'three talents' spoof.

So don't feel down that a few twats on here didn't like it, these people aren't behind the curve they're underneath it.

Absolutely correct sir. 100%.

Gosh, it's all got a bit heated. I hope none of this is my fault.

As for giving new writers a chance. Pappy's are new to TV writing. Old writers like me get to script edit. It's better than being unemployed, and it usually draws on experience, which older writers have!

Quote: Andrew Collins @ July 28 2013, 6:49 PM BST

Gosh, it's all got a bit heated.

On the internet, of all places.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ July 28 2013, 6:49 PM BST

Gosh, it's all got a bit heated. I hope none of this is my fault.

Yes you do, you little tart!

I happen to think the writing is fine. It's just that every quip and off the cuff gag seems to be suffocated by the "look" of the show. Everything feels flat. I don't know whether it's the set, how it's been shot, or even the editing, but if it's been a conscious attempt to recapture what they do live and convert it to television, then it's kind of failed.

Having had the great joy of developing a script with Pappy's, which the BBC powers at the time didn't get, I'm thrilled that Badults has made it to air. It reflects them brilliantly, and with Andrew as script editor, Izzy Mant as producer, and Ben Kellett as director, then the behind the scenes A team is delivering the vision. If people don't get Pappy's, that's sad, but they're just funny. It's not meaningful, it doesn't have sub-text, it's three well-defined characters being silly in a clever and intelligent way. But then I'm a fan, and delighted to see them with a series.

And has anyone noticed the girl in it was Zsa Zsa that horrible teenager in EastEnders around 2010, who was related to Zelda - sorry, Shirley. I knew her face from somewhere, only just worked it out. Though for legal reasons I am sure she is nothing like that in real life.

Badults. Oh dear! The Goodies meets The Inbetweeners, but without the charm of either. Unfortunately, the only amusing moment was "It's all gravy!" - the rest made me embarrassed to have recorded it and, even worse, to have suggested watching it with my partner, who now thinks I have questionable taste. Ho hum, Pappy's - you can't win 'em all. :S

As I said earlier I love Pappy's live, but this didn't gel with me. I think maybe the live show you get a better sense of the manic energy and feel more part of the experience, where as in comparison Badults felt flat - that being said I am will continue to watch, to see if they can capture the live magic.

The one thing I will say as much as I enjoy them, I can't say I see them as well defined characters, to me on this AND even live I think they are pretty much interchangeable (for me) and would struggle to come up with a description of each which differed from the others without resorting to physical descriptions... but then perhaps I need to watch them more.

Surely Matthew is the one who tries to be grown up but fails, Ben is the credulous one, and Tom the devious one?

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ July 30 2013, 9:21 AM BST

Surely Matthew is the one who tries to be grown up but fails, Ben is the credulous one, and Tom the devious one?

As I said, from the few live shows, and one episode of the sitcom, I personally wasn't getting that at all.

For me, at this stage, the lines could've been interchangeable and I would not feel any one of them is acting out of character.

I may well be in the minority here though and as they become more established, in the show and thus my experience of them more established these traits may become more obvious.