Up The Women - Series 1 Page 3

Love it so far. First episode was nice, but it really picked up with the second onwards. Too bad that it's just 3 episodes though, for this season :(

'Who was Nietzsche?'
'Like Shocked-headed Peter, only much crosser!'

Classic Laughing out loud

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 7 2013, 7:40 AM BST

Could it be the new Dad's Army....?

No.

Parfitt, Sampson and Pierson are the stand-out highlights of this sitcom. Wonderful performers.

Quote: Aaron @ June 11 2013, 11:45 PM BST

No.

Not literally, nothing could be it literally.

I thought it was Dad's Army like myself, haven't seen the third one yet. But the set up of eccentric characters in a room, with a leader - Jessica Hynes, a disinterested but competent one, Wilson - Front, the spikey brave one - Jones. There's at least one Godfrey in there too.

They need to spice up the bickering if anything because DA was very bitchy and that's where much of the comedy came from. And they weren't women! They could do with looking at the DA plots too. It has potential because of the situation and characters but needs to be a fair bit louder I'd have thought. First two too tame and quiet, no one'll notice it. They need a petrol bombing or two to give it life. IMO.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 12 2013, 10:20 AM BST

I thought it was Dad's Army like myself

And now Radio Times has made the comparison.

Do they come round here, or are they just slower than us?

Cool

Radio Times is the biggest selling mag in this country, hold your tongue!

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ June 13 2013, 1:54 PM BST

Radio Times is the biggest selling mag in this country, hold your tongue!

Magazines? What are they?

Besides never said a word.

Brilliant today. It really did get funnier every week!

The short clips I saw looked quite good. I am off tomorrow and will try to watch it on iPlayer

It got better with each episode. Deserves another series but it's hard to see it getting off BBC Four and therefore attracting a decent audience. It's a proper (trad style) sitcom, it may look like a female Dad's Army and sound like Blackadder, the Pankhurst dialogue sounded very Eltony to me, but that shows sitcom knowledge at least. But will they ever get out that door? Do they have the budget to? 6 new eps in one room! Teary

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 14 2013, 8:55 AM BST

It got better with each episode. Deserves another series but it's hard to see it getting off BBC4 and therefore attracting a decent audience. It's a proper (trad style) sitcom, it may look like a female Dad's Army and sound like Blackadder, the Pankhurst dialogue sounded very Eltony to me, but that shows sitcom knowledge at least. But will they ever get out that door? Do they have the budget to? 6 new eps in one room! Teary

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001166/up_the_women_suffragette_sitcom_series_2_order/
FTR.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 14 2013, 8:55 AM BST

6 new eps in one room! Teary

It's annoying, why can't they make it 8 to make up for such a short series? After all, surely no one plans a series of three, other episodes must have been in the pipeline.

I don't know, it did have a sort of mini character/plot arch with thingy's mum finally standing up for her.

Really enjoyed this in the end. Sandi Toksvig was brilliantly funny. The characters are wonderfully designed and by the second episode it was well into its stride. A special mention must go to Vicki Pepperdine who was really funny throughout.

I take it the other character is the trifle woman? If so, yes, top character, funniest thing in it and seems a good actor is playing her. When Pankhurst was dramatically saying 'death to that woman' or whatever, her trifle quivered. Class. The characters and the acting have been good. Not sure about the scripts yet but the sitcom idea you can't fault. You sort of think 'Why hasn't this been done yet?'