Up The Women - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 31 2013, 10:37 AM BST

Did anyone else not recognise Vicki Pepperdine?

It took me a couple of seconds to recognise her!

Some good set pieces-someone to fight against in Rebecca Front's character (which I can't get a name for).

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/up_the_women/details/ ;)

I gave it ten minutes but it was so appalling I switched it off. Not enough to hold the attention never mind raise a laugh.

Great idea for a sitcom

Surprised it's not been done before

Sadly I just found it very dull

Maybe it'll pickup next week. .. :(

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 31 2013, 10:37 AM BST

Did anyone else not recognise Vicki Pepperdine?

Straight away!

Then I thought ... No, no it's not her

D'oh!

Thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.

Re. "Up the Women": who is singing "Nana was a Suffragette"?
Can't find any credits anywhere.

Nana was a Suffragette was written and sung by Jules Gibb, a fantastic community singer and musician who lives and works in Manchester. She should have been in the credits...especially on a programme about women...not hidden, but celebrated!

Was a bit worried about this for the first ten minutes or so then it seemed to just click into place, nice acting and the characters were formed from the get go.
Nice setting too with the suffragette movement, loved the line, went something like 'do you want the world to be wiped out? well get stitching then'.

I think the reason they didn't credit the singer or song is because they knew the announcers were planning to talk over it every bloody week.

Even better this week! Much funnier.

Very good. :D

Quote: zooo @ June 6 2013, 8:58 PM BST

I think the reason they didn't credit the singer or song is because they knew the announcers were planning to talk over it every bloody week.

Sounds like Chumbawamba to me.

or not...

Quote: Hahabonk @ June 6 2013, 9:28 AM BST

Nana was a Suffragette was written and sung by Jules Gibb, a fantastic community singer and musician who lives and works in Manchester. She should have been in the credits...especially on a programme about women...not hidden, but celebrated!

Could it be the new Dad's Army....?

Bum. Forgot about this; to iPlayer-! *Whisks cape as exits*

A 2nd series of this ordered already? That's a surprise to me, have to say. It's a pleasant enough thing I agree but it barely gets into first gear, never mind second. Static would be the word for this, it could turn out to be the slowest sitcom in history.

I like the characters and the idea and the humour is just about there, but thin on the ground. It's going to need a lot more about it to keep another six new episodes going, isn't it?

I actually think this improved quite considerably on the second episode. It has distinct possibilities now that the characters are being more clearly defined. Some nice lines and the acting is really quite nicely judged.

Quote: Pingl @ June 7 2013, 12:02 PM BST

I actually think this improved quite considerably on the second episode. It has distinct possibilities now that the characters are being more clearly defined. Some nice lines and the acting is really quite nicely judged.

Totally agree!
I'm so glad this already has a second series. It's already the last one next week, just as it gets good.

Must get to the second episode on Cathchup then, as you all seem to be suggesting that it picks up. I didn't dislike the first one, but I found it mildly amusing at most, and even though I tend to favour slow-paced and understated, this was a tad too leisurely even for me. But you can't fault the performers, it's clearly written with compassion and intelligence and BBC Four seems like a good home for it. Seems like the kind of thing that needs time to grow, and looks as though the BBC have given it chance so to do.