Heading Out Page 7

Hello by the way, better again, say no more about it. Nicola Walker made a good fist of being daffy but perhaps Robin Weaver would have been better.

Only saw 3 1/2 episodes, one was the final one to see if they'd pulled it out of the fire. Hmm, much the same, with a little twist Sue hopes will keep it alive, and judging by the director and producer's own previews I wouldn't be surprised if that was already settled long before the poor ratings and mixed at best, often bemused viewer reviews were being posted. I get the strong feeling this project is something the Beeb wants to continue, at least for a second series, so it doesn't have to be called a flop.

It IS a flop, if you look at the sitcom critically, it is all over place, way too busy, choppy, and even the good bits (the OTT French lover) weren't exactly Sue's own creation (which I thought was her naughtiest crime here time and again). And in the ratings it nose dived to a new low for a BBC2 sitcom. But some of the characters including Sue Perkins or Sara, did seem likeable enough as many said. But still not many people watched it, at least no where near enough for BBC2.

Someone needs to take the blame for thinking this was a BBC2 worthy sitcom! Knowing that lot don't like to be blamed for anything and would rather hide under tables, I think they'll conjur up a Series 2 of Heading Out and just hope Sue can come up with something of her own this time, after taking some narrative writing lessons. It's only her standing at the Beeb which'll save this from the chop now, but of course it will. :|

Does anyone see the financial sense of stopping a sitcom, but giving her an 'open pilot' contract? Surely pilots are more expensive?

No, there's no sense in it at all, it's just the same old excessive favouritism and cronyism the BBC cannot wrench themselves away from. If they love a personality they think represents the Beeb, then that person can do no wrong and will be commissioned for this and this and that. Perkins is untouchable like Fry is, and I've no idea why, especially after Heading Out, which is what she should be doing.

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 16 2013, 10:21 AM BST

Does anyone see the financial sense of stopping a sitcom, but giving her an 'open pilot' contract? Surely pilots are more expensive?

What should a pilot, the potential for a new, successful series, be more expensive - or, perhaps more to the point, worse value for money - than a whole other 6 episodes of a flop?

Not being funny but maybe Sue should take Godot's comments in hand. She probably won't but if you're lurking here Sue I do like you and want it to be good.