Heading Out Page 3

Dead pets can be funny, as A Fish Called Wanda proved, here it just seemed pointless. In fact the vet stuff was all very unconvincing, she might as well have been a data entry clerk or florist. But I'd agree Perkins is a very good host, and seems better suited to that than acting.

It wasn't laugh-a-minute, but I did like the world they created, it was very cosy and pleasant. A nice bit of netball and walking the dog. I know that's probably not quite what Sue was going for - 'pleasant', but there we are. I'll definitely watch the rest.

Quote: zooo @ February 28 2013, 12:36 PM GMT

Agree.

Pansy.

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the best, or most original sitcom I've ever seen, but I love Sue Perkins and I thought some of her lines were brilliant. And, yes, it's really nice to see some normal lesbians on TV.

And it had the funny bloke off Miranda, whose name I always forget. Hurrah!

And it had Mark Heap

Quote: zooo @ February 28 2013, 6:38 PM GMT

And it had the funny bloke off Miranda, whose name I always forget. Hurrah!

Are you referring to Dominic Coleman?

I do believe I am.
He is ace.

Quote: Harridan @ February 28 2013, 8:39 PM GMT

And it had Mark Heap

Oh yes! He wasn't in it as much as I'd expected.

So I ended up seeing the second episode, as my (teenage) daughters wanted to watch it.

What an absolute shocker. Firstly, it has absolutely no narrative coherence. The various strands --- the faux friend, the paintballing, the man at the bar who lifts weights --- are from different programmes, both in content and in tone. Secondly, last week's dead cat looks like Shakespeare compared to the completely random arrival of "the woman who breaks into The Birdie Song". Thirdly, if the claim's going to be that it's light drama rather than comedy (ie, as an excuse for not being funny), not even the flimsy characters are self-consistent. Would the driven woman who want to get into Sue's knickers really be put off by a dim blonde? Would the finniky metrosexual be driving a ten year old Golf in a nasty metallic colour? How would "life coach" so hideous remain in business?

Anyway, appalling. Leave the room for next week, I think.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ March 5 2013, 11:18 PM GMT

Would the finniky metrosexual be driving a ten year old Golf in a nasty metallic colour?

I think that's slightly reaching for things to be annoyed about!

How did they get Justine (I had to look the character's name up) out of The Birdie Song, not once but twice, and yet still not know how to do it? I've seen embarrassing hynopsis subplots in many sitcoms, but never as poorly executed as that. It didn't make sense within itself.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 28 2013, 12:05 PM GMT

How on earth could she think this would be a great scene to open a new (female oriented, let's not forget) sitcom?

Why do you think it's female oriented?

I couldn't be bothered to watch the second episode even though I like Sue.

Better than the first episode, but still not there.

I was hoping someone would post first so it didn't look like I have an agenda against this new sitcom and just want to slate it, as I don't and I like Sue Perkins. But what the flipping hell was she thinking when she formulated this?

I just don't know where to begin with criticising it, it had most of the elements of modern 'sitcoms' I hate the most packed into one episode. I doubt she could've have made it anymore unappealing to me, but then I'm not one of the viewers she's making it for it clearly seems. It's not very broad appeal sitcom making, it's her take and taste in the modern sitcom idiom, it seems to me. Which is clearly not my cup of tea, but, could be others' I suppose.

Quote: AJGO @ March 5 2013, 11:28 PM GMT

Why do you think it's female oriented?

Because a premise of a lesbian on a journey to 'out herself' is I'd say not typically made for a core of male viewers in mind as much as for women.

Or

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ March 5 2013, 11:18 PM GMT

So I ended up seeing the second episode, as my (teenage) daughters wanted to watch it.