Heading Out Page 2

Poor.

It was promising for about ten minutes, and then you realised that there was a dead cat joke that they didn't know how to get a laugh out of, which was to put it mildly symptomatic. And news that the appalling "life coach" introduction, which appeared to have come from an entirely different programme, presages a major role next week, means that I won't be watching.

Oh, and "posh blokes like fat birds, they're a bit dirty you know" isn't edgy 21st century sexual politics, Sue, it's Benny Hill without the subtlety.

Teary Blimey. Certainly quite a bold opening. Ambitious but risky. It's Good that she's not been forced to bring in half a dozen helpers, like MH was, but was it funny enough? Quirky's one thing but a good sitcom needs more than that.

Personally I found it painful to watch, and full of previously done comedy routines. It was like a jamboree bag of comedy tropes. I like Sue Perkins at her day job so it's a shame I cringed so much at this sitcom attempt. But then this is the risk they all take in moving into sitcom, a form too many of them don't seem to respect enough or know enough about. And they will be judged against some really good stuff. So let them keep coming imo. Looking forward to watching Russell Howard's. Please. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 27 2013, 9:17 AM GMT

Teary Blimey. Certainly quite a bold opening.

Which was the bold bit? The whole episode, or the cat bit at the start??

The opening scene with the dead cat, but I didn't say scene because kitty stayed with her throughout. 'Bold' because a Sue Perkins sitcom I'd have thought, would have a fair few females tuning in to watch, many of them possibly with their er, cats. I resisted. Bold and risky to say the least.

I thought it was extremely dull. I didn't laugh once. Some of it felt nasty and verging on smutty.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 27 2013, 9:30 AM GMT

Bold and risky to say the least.

But not, unfortunately, remotely funny.

Why on earth are the BBC hiding good comedies like Bob Servant away on BBC Four while this guff is shown on the terrestrial channels?

This was a holocaust of a show and every knows that lesbianism is only an urban myth anyway... (a quote from the aforementioned Bob Servant before anyone complains).

I enjoyed it much more than Bob Servant, to be honest.

Now I always give new sitcoms a go but sadly I was quite looking forward to this as it did sound rather promising but sadly it just wasn't to my taste.

Hence, I will not watch the rest of the series ;)

Quote: zooo @ February 26 2013, 10:28 PM GMT

ASIDE FROM ALL THE HORRIBLE CAT STUFF,

But is it easy to get aside from? Is this one of the most ill conceived sitcom intros ever, I'm wondering? How on earth could she think this would be a great scene to open a new (female oriented, let's not forget) sitcom? Or was this the very point of it, showcasing her spikey subversive sense of humour from the start?

But after the very bold and long opening scene I was really struggling to find the empathy needed to continue watching and for some I reckon it could've killed the sitcom there and then. Having said that, the carrying it around in her handbag thing was darkly amusing and possibly symbolicly funny, but there was too much guesswork for me about what exactly was indended in it. A very challenging first episode imo.

Quote: chipolata @ February 26 2013, 10:11 PM GMT

And any sitcom that opens with a scene involving a dead cat is asking for trouble on the metaphor front.

Yes, and on most other fronts I'd have thought. :O Still a bit staggered by it.

The dead cat stuff was alienating whether you're male or female. And didn't really work because it seemed to be there purely as a lazily written mcguffin.

It was definitely alienating, the utter opposite of a textbook intro to pull viewers in! But I almost feel some respect for it for so boldly being so. Hmm.

Am I alone in suspecting that it would have caused less offence if had been a granny rather than a cat? You can be as dark and subversive as you like, but hurt a pet and uproar ensues.

Sue Perkins has never actually been funny, she and Mel have a knack of delivering extraordinarily weak lines in a way which suggests that they are hilarious. Presenting is probably their true metier.

Quote: Tursiops @ February 28 2013, 12:30 PM GMT

Am I alone in suspecting that it would have caused less offence if had been a granny rather than a cat? You can be as dark and subversive as you like, but hurt a pet and uproar ensues.

Agree.