The Lodging House

I've come up with a sitcom idea about an old man who is a war veteran but sadly lost his wife in 1992. So instead of living alone , he let's his home out to lodgers who live with him. The old man is named Tom. Does anyone like this idea , if so , I'm willing to go away and write some scripts.

Anyone?

Its not for us to tell you whether you should or should not write something. If you like the concept go and write it. I'm sure it has the potential for humour, most situations do. Go and write a bit, put it up here and we'll have a look.

Quote: Otterfox @ February 21 2013, 1:41 PM GMT

Its not for us to tell you whether you should or should not write something. If you like the concept go and write it. I'm sure it has the potential for humour, most situations do. Go and write a bit, put it up here and we'll have a look.

OK , Cheers Otterfox

Right Then... Im gonna go away and write a short segement for this. But first here's my ideas about the show and the characters...

Tom Butterworth - an old man who lost his wife in 1992 so instead of living on his own he decided to allow lodgers to live with him. He tries his best to be the leader of the lodgers and his neighbours.

Chris - A 50 year old man , who is single and always has been. He's been living with Tom since 1992 (he was his first ever lodger and has stayed with him ever since). He's a bit lazy and mucky but does go to work but does often get on Tom's nerves.

Craig - A Young Man who moves into Tom's House in the first episode of series 1 as Tom threw the previous lodger out for not paying the rent. He works nights at a supermarket and gets along with Tom.

Alan/Shaz - A couple which have been together for 5 years , they moved in with Tom in 2007. Alan does all the manly jobs around the home because Tom as he says 'Would do them , but has got other things on'. Shaz is a nurse but she decides to help all the men out by cooking and cleaning.

Tony - Tom's old friend since the 60's , he often pops round to see him as his wife Gladice also died sadly in the 1990's so they feel they can turn to each other as they haven't got any women.

I'd say you had too many characters - try for a more equal male/female balance. Remember you need conflict - don't make the main character too nice. Of which war is he a veteran? If it's WW2, he'd be at least 90...

Quote: beaky @ February 22 2013, 7:05 PM GMT

I'd say you had too many characters - try for a more equal male/female balance. Remember you need conflict - don't make the main character too nice. Of which war is he a veteran? If it's WW2, he'd be at least 90...

Good Point , thanks very much for your feedback. I will drop the 'war veteran' idea and I'm also going to put a neighbour character in the show whois a woman. Plus , all those characters won't be in the segment but will be spread out ove the show of 30 minutes. I appreciate your feedback! :)

Well I suppose I'll have to start annoying someone at some point so ... let's start with you!
Are you sure you want to drop the "war veteran"? I feel it has some potential, both from the psychological and the situational perspective.
And good Uncle Scam spread a lot of fancy wars around, plenty for you to pick from, no need to dig up auld WWII ;)

Quote: Hell's Granny @ February 23 2013, 12:02 AM GMT

Well I suppose I'll have to start annoying someone at some point so ... let's start with you!
Are you sure you want to drop the "war veteran"? I feel it has some potential, both from the psychological and the situational perspective.
And good Uncle Scam spread a lot of fancy wars around, plenty for you to pick from, no need to dig up auld WWII ;)

Thanks again for the advice! But I have come to the conclusion to drop "the war veteran theme" as I don't feel it's going to work with my character of Tom. Thanks again. :)

Maybe all of the lodgers don't know the old man TOM charictor at all. He could have an open house day/week where the candidates can come and see the rooms but old man TOM has the final word on who fits the/his criteria.

But old man TOM might not be all he seems. He could have an agenda for something comically sinister and that's why he's carefully hand picked everyone.

Maybe he could be planning a robbery. (He was in on the great train robbery in the 60s as an unknown driver or was he? is his whole life Lie?)

Maybe he's planning on eating them all. (He's already eaten his wife!)

Maybe he's gonna set them all up for his ill got gains.

Dig deep G180e.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 23 2013, 1:22 PM GMT

Maybe all of the lodgers don't know the old man TOM charictor at all. He could have an open house day/week where the candidates can come and see the rooms but old man TOM has the final word on who fits the/his criteria.

But old man TOM might not be all he seems. He could have an agenda for something comically sinister and that's why he's carefully hand picked everyone.

Maybe he could be planning a robbery. (He was in on the great train robbery in the 60s as an unknown driver or was he? is his whole life Lie?)

Maybe he's planning on eating them all. (He's already eaten his wife!)

Maybe he's gonna set them all up for his ill got gains.

Dig deep G180e.

Oh Yes That's a great idea , Cheers Nigel. I will be putting up a segment of this later in the week so keep your eyes peeled...
Whistling nnocently

Excellent ideas, Nigel!

Sorry Guys ,

Still writing this , nearly finished. Should be ready for Tuesday. Its only going to be a segment though and if you all like it , I will write a full episode.

I can't wait to see where your head has been for the past week or so. Errr

:) Right Then , Here it is...

The Lodging House - S01 E01

(It's 1992 , Tom and his wife Glenda are sitting watching television)
(Glenda is sitting one side of the room whilst tom is sitting in his arm chair. Glenda looks unhappy. The Couple have just had a row)

Tom: (Looks at Glenda) Cup of Tea?
Glenda: What d'you think?
Tom: Ah...with a couple of ginger nuts
Glenda: You just don't get it do you?
Tom: Get what? My little lemon meringue
Glenda: You just get on with it as if nothing's happened at all
Tom: Well nothing bad has happened has it sweetie!
(Tom leaves living room and enters the kitchen)
(He gets the cups out and boils the kettle)
(Glenda then also enters the kitchen)
Glenda: (Under her breath) Nothing bad has happened
Tom: Sorry?
Glenda: You've shouted at your son and made him leave. And nothing bad has happened. Me and You are gonna fall out Tom Swifton. You mark my words!
Tom: Oh just shut up , you cloth eared old sow and get them bloody ginger nuts out the cupboard.
Glenda: (opens cupboard) There's none in here
Tom: Oh No! You'll have to pop to Dave's house
Glenda: Why?
Tom: Well he is ginger so he'll definitely have some ginger nuts for you to dunk in your tea.
(Glenda walks off disgusted back into the living room)
Tom: (Laughs) (Walks back into the living room) He are!
(Glenda is flat out on the floor)
Tom: Glenda!
(Tom gets onto the floor and picks up her hand to find no pulse)

(SCENE ENDS)
(6 months later)
Tom is standing by Glenda's grave
Tom: Ah well Glen , we had some good times didn't we. I've bought a new house now I thought well 20 years without you it ain't been the same y'know. I've got me self a lovely 4 bedroom place not far from here. I'm Lonely without you though so I thought I'd get some lodgers in.
(Tom Returns home)
(Knock on door several times)
Tom: Yeah I'm coming I'm coming hang on a minute
(Banging on door)
Tom: Hang On
(More banging on door)
Tom: F**king Hang On. Jesus Christ! I don't own anything worth robbing
(Tom Answers door)
Tom: Yes!
Chris: Hello Mate! I'm Chris I'm here about lodging one of your rooms
Tom: Oh Yes Come on in
(Chris enters the kitchen with all his bags)
Tom: I'm sorry I didn't realise this was a f**king youth hostel.
Chris: O sorry Mate. I'm a bit bagged up ay I (Chuckles to himself)
(Tom rolls his eyes)
Tom; Indeed you are!
(Tom takes a seat and so does chris around the kitchen table)
Tom: So Then chris...?
Chris: Williams.
Tom: So then Chris Williams
Chris: R
Tom: Question number 1. Do You Work?
Chris: Yes
Tom: Question number 2. Where do you work?
Chris: At a lock factory. I'm sorry bab I day realise this was an interview (Chuckles to himself)
Tom: Sorry , did you just call me bab?
Chris: Yeah
Tom: Well Don't
Tom: Question Number 3
(Fade Out)
(fade in)
Tom: And That's everything Chris
Chris: So am I in then?
Tom: Yes , I will show you to the room
(Tom and chris go upstairs)
Tom: And here it is
(SCENE ENDS)
(PRESENT DAY)
(More lodgers have now moved in by this point)

So there it is , Guys. What does everyone think? Please do give me lots of feedback as it does help and means a lot.
Cheers.
G180e.
Smarmy

C'mon what does everyone think?