The Wright Way Page 4

I'd like to say it was the worst thing ever. Of course, it wasn't. It was just rubbish. There were a couple of moments I liked: the arguments in the shop were not bad, and when he phoned up it was real Meldrew territory. I Also liked the over-zealous Health & Safety woman, who got a frisson from the idea of shutting down the M25, there could be mileage in her - although "Elf n Safety is a waste of time" is a comedy dead end, so I hope they don't play too heavily on that side.

The domestic scenes were atrocious, and the toilet business, whilst well-played, was a waste of time, not least because I simply didn't understand the problem - if all he wanted to do was wash his hands, why didn't he do it in his kicthen sink? If you don't spend your mornings clambering round the public toilet, you probabnly don't need to wash your hands so much.

And a water cooler in the toilet? :S

Next week, "Susan pushes Gerald to invite his ex-wife Valerie and her new boyfriend, brusque Aussie fitness trainer Kyle over for some of Gerald's famous homemade quiche".

Has Elton had this script in his bottom drawer for thirty years? Homemade quiche? Aussie fitness trainers? In 2013? Did Elton go into a coma in about 1982 and only just wake up?

Quote: Ringo @ April 23 2013, 11:59 PM BST

I'm depressed! Ben Elton was one of my comedy heroes growing up but this was very, very poor. I smiled once. I used to burst out laughing constantly at The Young Ones & Blackadder. It was like an average episode of Terry and June or The Good Life. And the daughter's girlfriend character had some terrible 'punch lines'. :(

An average episode of The Good Life would knock spots of this rubbish!
And, a piece of me died watching it!

Oddly I enjoyed that. Silly, blatant mugging sixth form humour, very Eltony, but this style at least suits the risible subject. Haig's full on acting style is now a nice change from the mostly laid back naturalistic sitcom acting we've had for the last decade. So the old TTBL formula I hated in the 90s now seems like a refreshing change to me, even if it is a blatant lift from TTBL. I laughed and I haven't done that with many recent sitcoms, so big box ticked.

Tap routine excellent. Shop routine pretty good but I didn't get how the receipt had changed. If someone can explain?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 24 2013, 10:23 AM BST

I didn't get how the receipt had changed. If someone can explain?

It didn't change. I wouldn't suggest watching it again but blonde lesbian mentioned buying knickers from the same place, and brunette lesbian told her to put the receipt on the fridge. He simply saw the name of the shop on the receipt, and assumed it was his. And from thence the humour arose.

Ah! Ta. Seems even funnier now then. Fantastic whack she gave him.

Yes home bits not so good, good dishwasher stuff was needed, but the girlfriend doing voices on phone thing not needed and obvious filler cum chance for new actor to show off, which should be avoided in sitcoms imo.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 24 2013, 9:30 AM BST

Next week, "Susan pushes Gerald to invite his ex-wife Valerie and her new boyfriend, brusque Aussie fitness trainer Kyle over for some of Gerald's famous homemade quiche".

Has Elton had this script in his bottom drawer for thirty years? Homemade quiche? Aussie fitness trainers? In 2013? Did Elton go into a coma in about 1982 and only just wake up?

Funny colonials. Oh dear.

For the most part, I liked it, but could do without the daughter etc perhaps. Will see how it progresses. Also, surprised they've buried it at 10:35 when they gave guff like Big Top primetime.

Jesus Christ.

Quote: curtis patrick @ April 24 2013, 2:18 PM BST

Jesus Christ.

I don't recall him being in it.

It would have made his crucifiction a lot easier for him to take.

Quote: curtis patrick @ April 24 2013, 2:43 PM BST

... crucifiction...

Or as atheists call it, the new testament.

Quote: Dave @ April 24 2013, 11:36 AM BST

Also, surprised they've buried it at 10:35

News24 now have the 2am slot.

I changed channels after about ten minutes, it was so painful to watch.

It was so funny made me laugh so much.