The Wright Way

I'm really looking forward to this Ben Elton-penned sitcom starring David Haig as uptight Health and Safety inspector Gerald Wright. It's to be filmed from March. Any word on a broadcast date?

Not sure where you got that from, Dave. Episode 3 will be filmed in two days time.

It's possible we'll see it in the Summer, but Autumn schedule seems more likely.

Good news - it stars David Haig.
Bad news - it's called The Wright Way and is about an H&S man called Gerald Wright.

Good news - it's written by Blackadder co-writer Ben Elton.
Bad news - it's written by We Will Rock You co-writer Ben Elton.

Quote: youngian @ January 30 2013, 6:59 PM GMT

Bad news - it's called The Wright Way and is about an H&S man called Gerald Wright.

That's not bad, that's how sitcoms work, you know that. Got to have a catchy handle to swing it from. That's fine.

The Ben Elton angle may not be, never been a huge fan of his sitcom writing, myself. Far too twaddly.

I don't know why, but the first episode is to be shown at 10:35pm on a Tuesday. This means either the BBC don't have confidence in it or they're stupid. I think it's the latter.

I saw an ad for it today, looked like it might be good. And David Haig is always great.

David Haig is one of my favourite actors. Why cannot show this on BBC One? The great Ben Elton wrote this so the show will be more funnier!
Looks like it has some great potential for a 2nd series too.

Looks very Eltony, that's my main worry. Two of the actors were in his Thin Blue Line, one of the most cringey sitcoms in TV history imo. This already looks like a TBL copy, same sitcom format in a slightly different setting.

He does good interviews, I like everything he says in that one apart from the 'this isn't nepotism' bit for explaining why his mate's daughter has a role. Do us a favour, Ben. He always talks the talk but walks a bit wobbly, imo. Just not a fan of his sitcom scriptwriting. But we'll see.

Thin Blue Line was aces! :)

Just looked at the forum on it and I see I'm a lone voice. Again. Odd, because when it was on, I remember lots of people saying how annoying or OTT or childish it was. Where are they now? It was funny but it was sitcom panto imo, which is more or less what I'm expecting TWW to be. But we'll see, better give it ten minutes first.

I haven't hot much hope for this considering Ben Elton's last sitcom was Blessed which sank without a trace despite Ardal O'Hanlon, Mel Giedroyc, Rowland Rivron, Robert Webb and Sally Bretton being in it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0484798/

Blimey - had no idea Russell Brand was once in it too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCghoJJnYfw :| :| :| :O :O :O

....and the less we talk about 'Get a Grip' the better. Laughing out loud

Funny how Richard Curtis, on his own or with Paul Mayhew-Archer, can write warm cosy comedies like the Vicar of Dibley and all his idealistic, feel-good Hugh Grant films - and Ben Elton, with The Young Ones and Filthy, Rich and Catflap, writes more anarchic and chaotic scripts with a heavy dose of broad, cartoonish slapstick violence...yet when they joined forces they made something like Blackadder (2-4) which isn't too much like any of the above - and is without a doubt their best work.

Quote: David Smith @ April 17 2013, 9:22 PM BST

Why cannot show this on BBC One?

It is been shown on BBC One! I am quite looking forward to it but I have a feeling it may not be that great

It's amazing - and amazingly great - that this seems to be a spin-off in all but name for Derek Grimm from The Thin Blue Line. Incredible, as that was seventeen years ago! Trailer shows Gerald to be just as stressed out and taking his job just as seriously as Grimm.

I thought The Thin Blue Line was really funny! And I agree that this looks similar, but to me that's a good thing! Ben Elton's stuff is usually good, and I like David Haig, so I think it looks promising.

I've just previewed the first episode. I think it safe to say that if you hated The Thin Blue Line, don't bother - but if you loved it, then you're almost certain to enjoy The Wright Way. It's very much in the same vein; similar in tone, style and humour.

Personally, I laughed my head off.