Derek - Pilot Page 5

It seemed a very false performance of a person with some sort of developmental disorder. All the awkwardness and gestures were there but none of the actual person.

It also wasn't very funny.

Good call on the Tropic Thunder speech Renegade.

People with these conditions are real, with feelings, and dreams. And that just wasn't there. It felt hollow and patronising. Like an animated version of the Joey Deacon story.

It's also passe. South Park has done this kind of thing better years ago.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 12 2012, 11:48 PM BST

I feel like I've been touched against my will.

C'mon now, that's because you switched over to Sexcetera half way through. Smarmy

I want to see a series. I think they did an admirable job in this one-off with the limited time they had, but the impact of Joan dying and Derek's love for the nurse was lessened by the lack of backstory. If those relationships had been given time to grow over a few episodes, the pathos would've been far more intense.

As it was though, I really liked it. For all Karl Pilkington's meant to be a complete idiot with a head like a f**king orange, he's very natural and funny in front of the camera, even if in this case he's just playing Karl Pilkington in a wig.
And I didn't feel uncomfortable with Ricky's portrayal of Derek at all. Yes he gurns and mugs but then so did Ian McKellen in Walter. So did Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot. I don't really see why comedy actors can't play characters with learning disabilities too, as long as it's done sensitively. And Ricky ALMOST pulled it off I think, although I could've done without the slapstick. I'm not averse to physical gags at all but the sitting in the pudding and falling in the pond bits were a bit too telegraphed.

Anyway, I thought it was good. I think it'll get flack because it's assumed that Ricky's taking the piss but I didn't feel that at all. Derek is the hero. He's nice, he's kind, he's in tune with his emotions, he puts everyone else before himself and he's brave as well. How is that taking the piss?

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 12 2012, 10:54 PM BST

First post...

Please make it your last Rolling eyes

If you're going to attack new members so nastily for merely daring to air their opinion, please make THAT post YOUR last, Dr Sanchez.

In brief...

...Gervais's gurning was a massive distraction.

...it felt like he was trying to condense the kind of pathos of Tim and Dawn (achieved over two series and two specials) into 25 minutes. He didn't succeed.

...the mock-doc style felt very old-hat, in part due to The Office.

...I knew I wouldn't like it when the opening mock-doc interviews were telling us what to think about other characters ("Derek is funny!") rather than showing us through their actions and behaviour. Maybe Gervais wasn't confident enough in his writing or acting to achieve the latter. Maybe he was right.

...it was still better than Life's Too Short.

...lots of people will say how great it was.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 12 2012, 11:48 PM BST

I feel like I've been touched against my will.

Well where else would the Priest touch you?

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 13 2012, 12:13 AM BST

So did Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot. I don't really see why comedy actors can't play characters with learning disabilities too, as long as it's done sensitively.

Daniel Day Lewis was playing a physically disabled man with intellectual brilliance as a way of showing how he over came his limitations.

Loving Walter was made at a time when someone like Walter or Derek would have been locked up in a hospital for life. People like him simply wouldn't have been able to appear in such a film. To compare a ground breaking polemic which used a controversial performance to make a vital point to Derek.

Is well odd to say the very least.

I don't really see why comedy actors can't play characters with learning disabilities too, as long as it's done sensitively.

And why can't learning disabled actors play themselves?

The writing was fantastic, but Gervais' acting really pulls the whole show down. I was fine with the character, but his portrayal was really piss poor.

It's kind of ironic that Gervais has brought so many talented actors to our screens in The Office and Extras, and yet he manages to comically miscast himself in the starring role.

I hope if it is turned into a series that he really tones down the character. Being learning disabled is fine, but I've been surrounded by people like that, and they don't speak like that or do that thing with their mouths. It's what they say and in general their outlook that makes them stand out.

Derek is the hero. He's nice, he's kind, he's in tune with his emotions, he puts everyone else before himself and he's brave as well. How is that taking the piss?

I guess being patronised makes everything ok then?

I mean how about if the BNP finished every party political broadcast with a tribute to great black footballers?

Quote: sootyj @ April 12 2012, 11:53 PM BST

It's also passe. South Park has done this kind of thing better years ago.

I can't think of when, what South Park ep's comparable?

I don't get why it was mockumentary at all, it seemed like it would have been more effective without the whole 'talking to the camera' routine.

Quote: sootyj @ April 13 2012, 12:28 AM BST

Daniel Day Lewis was playing a physically disabled man with intellectual brilliance as a way of showing how he over came his limitations.

I think Derek displays equally-admirable qualities in spirit and determination to help others, even though he's had a shit life himself. Just because he's not painting or spouting florid poetry doesn't mean he's not a strong character.

Overall I thought it was pretty average - not quite funny or touching enough - but people in both opposing Gervais camps are saying some mad bollocks about it.

I dunno Lee if you met Derek down the pub would you buy him a pint or would you snigger at him?

Quote: sootyj @ April 13 2012, 12:28 AM BST

And why can't learning disabled actors play themselves?

They can. And have.

Quote: sootyj @ April 13 2012, 12:39 AM BST

I dunno Lee if you met Derek down the pub would you buy him a pint or would you snigger at him?

F**k off Sooty, now you're making assumptions about me that I don't like. Give your head a shake.

That Lee was kinda the point I was trying to make.

I mean imagine if the BBC had Benedict Cumberbatch play Biffa Bacon, because whereas there are Geordie actors, they didn't feel any were good enough.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 13 2012, 12:42 AM BST

F**k off Sooty, now you're making assumptions about me that I don't like. Give your head a shake.

Ok not you specifically.