Derek - Pilot Page 3

Looks good from the clips. Reminds me a little of Human Remains in terms of style

At the Bafta screening last week someone from Channel 4 spoke before it started and asked the audience to "laugh in the right places" so they could secure a series.

Seems like the people with the cash are hedging their bets and want to see how it goes down with the general public.

I like the look of it, but I don't think Karl should have been wedged in there because from those clips it looks more like An Idiot In A Care Home than anything.

What I have learned from the clips:

-The 'is he mental or is he acting?' debate about K Pilkington can now end. He's an actor.

-Gervais finally doubles his range by gurning over his usual 'Brent' routine.

He's evidently a jolly good actor.
I don't think that means his entire personality for the past 10+ years is proved to be fake though... (if that's what you were even getting at.) :)

Quote: Jinky @ April 4 2012, 12:06 AM BST

What I have learned from the clips:

-The 'is he mental or is he acting?' debate about K Pilkington can now end. He's an actor.

It's a hard one to judge. It's pretty obvious in the podcasts and An Idiot Abroad that he's hamming it up a bit but way back in the early days when he was a radio producer he was exactly the same. He actually hated Ricky for a while and didn't turn up for shows. Then Ricky started a campaign to get him famous....

Is he really even acting in Derek? he's more or less himself with a comedy wig and glasses.

He must be a very dedicated method actor to spend all those years as an XFM producer for it to on come to fruition as zooo says 10+ years later.

We would have definitely seen an Ali G/Bruno/Borat or Avid Merion/Keith Lemon type thing if he were an actor by now as well.

Trailers and new out-take all in one package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjrW5hXinzk

I think Karl's character's hair is going to annoy me...

It looks so wiggy!

If he were a real actor he would have grown his hair.

Argument over.

Wish the original "Derek" clip from YouTube hadn't been removed (it stood for years until recently, obviously Ricky/Channel 4 had it pulled). It gave a good introduction to the character and really got me intrigued. More than the official trailers I've seen so far anyway.

Quote: Jinky @ April 4 2012, 12:06 AM BST

-Gervais finally doubles his range by gurning over his usual 'Brent' routine.

From what I've seen it does appear to be a very different sort of character to Brent.

I submitted a sitcom pilot to the Bafta/Rocliffe Prize 2011; my idea for sitcom pilot was about a carer who lived with his mum and then joined a carers' support group.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/mock-the-disabled-me-ricky-gervais-on-how-he-has-been-misunderstood-7621909.html

"Originally the character was an excuse to see the world differently," he says. "He lived with his mum..."

How long does it take to turn an idea into a script and pilot? Would 5 months cover it?

Quote: Captain Carex @ April 6 2012, 1:53 PM BST

I submitted a sitcom pilot to the Bafta/Rocliffe Prize 2011; my idea for sitcom pilot was about a carer who lived with his mum and then joined a carers' support group.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/mock-the-disabled-me-ricky-gervais-on-how-he-has-been-misunderstood-7621909.html

"Originally the character was an excuse to see the world differently," he says. "He lived with his mum..."

How long does it take to turn an idea into a script and pilot? Would 5 months cover it?

lol, your point being?

:D

Quote: Captain Carex @ April 6 2012, 1:53 PM BST

*yawns*