Derek - Pilot Page 8

Quote: Phil Gwilliam @ April 13 2012, 9:01 AM BST

A more apt comparison I think would be Peter Kay's "Leonard" The oldest paperboy in Bolton.

A very similar character and one off dramedy.

That's what it reminded me of. Thankyou! For the record, I think 'Leonard' was done much beter- hitting the balance between comedy and drama. I enjoyed Derek but it just didn't really make me laugh. It was, however, done with affection which I think kept it floating above water. Hmmm I just don't know...

Sadly the usual now tired RG unfunny shtick!

Quote: Lindyloop @ April 13 2012, 3:29 PM BST

That's what it reminded me of. Thankyou! For the record, I think 'Leonard' was done much beter- hitting the balance between comedy and drama. I enjoyed Derek but it just didn't really make me laugh. It was, however, done with affection which I think kept it floating above water. Hmmm I just don't know...

There's almost no comparison.

Leonard is a sweet human figure, who's funny partly because he's hapless. But also about how he reflects the world around him.

The joke being more about his strength of character and others false pity.

Derek is just a nasty little collection of observed ticks with custard on his trousers.

For those who found this show hilarious I'll be releasing a video of me gurning, with a mop on my head falling into a pond full of custard.

You'll f**king die laughing.

Quote: sootyj @ April 13 2012, 4:25 PM BST

Leonard is a sweet human figure, who's funny partly because he's hapless. But also about how he reflects the world around him.

You've just described Derek...

I found the first half a little dull and there were no laughs for me. The second half, though, had a couple of laughs and some warmth was creeping in. The gurning from Gervais seemed very amateurish and a couple of jokes had the most blatant setups ever, but I'd be interested in seeing a little more.

Oh and I thought Karl Pilkington's acting was ok, but I've never seen him in anything else, so he may just be playing himself.

Sat down to watch on 4on Demand. Turned off after the Hamster on a piano. Does Ricky Gervais call this comedy. 'Cause it wasn't!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ April 13 2012, 7:32 PM BST

Sat down to watch on 4on Demand. Turned off after the Hamster on a piano. Does Ricky Gervais call this comedy. 'Cause it wasn't!

Oh you should have kept going. The first half wasn't great, but the second half was redeeming.

Personally, I really enjoyed this and looking forward to a full series :)

It was warm, amusing and touching at times.

I believed in Ricky as Derek from the outset and saw the 'gurning' and such likes simply as a part of Derek. That's who he is.

Karl was, well Karl. Who never fails to amuse :D

And it was great to see David Earl pop up as the third member of their little group.

All in all, me thinks a great return :)

Quote: sootyj @ April 13 2012, 12:39 AM BST

if you met Derek down the pub would you buy him a pint or would you snigger at him?

Sadly some people always seem to find some comfort in pointing at the minority when they see themselves sitting with the safety of the majority.

However, I'd like to believe those that 'snigger' would possibly start to re think after watching something like this. Individuals as such as Derek are still real people with real feelings and despite how they may appear they are still made of the same stuff.

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2012, 12:46 AM BST

Joan's death. It did feel a tad overdone, and I didn't quite buy into Derek being so devastated by it: he's supposed to work in a nursing home, and he's still so gravely personally affected by the death of a patient? Pull the other one.

Really? I saw it as Derek has very little outside his work, so his work is his life and those he works with are his family. So for me, more than believable to be devastated by the death of a very close friend/patient. Some people in such positions in the real world do get very attached.

Quote: random @ April 13 2012, 8:13 PM BST

Really? I saw it as Derek has very little outside his work, so his work is his life and those he works with are his family. So for me, more than believable to be devastated by the death of a very close friend/patient. Some people in such positions in the real world do get very attached.

But if you work in a nursing home, one of your "family" (under your interpretations) dies every few weeks. Yes you'll find it upsetting, but not quite as devastating as was portrayed. You might argue that that's still the case, and that Derek is supposed to be particularly close to that one particular patient, in which case we return to previous criticisms of the show that Gervais's writing was poor and he'd failed to set up the relationships that he was trying to get pay-off to.

Either are possible. Both highlight poor writing. *shrug*

But if you work in a nursing home, one of your "family" (under your interpretations) dies every few weeks. Yes you'll find it upsetting, but not quite as devastating as was portrayed. You might argue that that's still the case, and that Derek is supposed to be particularly close to that one particular patient, in which case we return to previous criticisms of the show that Gervais's writing was poor and he'd failed to set up the relationships that he was trying to get pay-off to.

He said she was his favourite and that she reminded him of his mum - what more do you want?

Something a bit more solid than a single easily missable line, perhaps.

Quote: johnny smith @ April 13 2012, 9:40 PM BST

He said she was his favourite and that she reminded him of his mum - what more do you want?

Yeah, their relationship was set up as well as it could have been within a 24 minute pilot.

Quote: random @ April 13 2012, 8:13 PM BST

Personally, I really enjoyed this and looking forward to a full series :)

It was warm, amusing and touching at times.

I believed in Ricky as Derek from the outset and saw the 'gurning' and such likes simply as a part of Derek. That's who he is.

Karl was, well Karl. Who never fails to amuse :D

And it was great to see David Earl pop up as the third member of their little group.

All in all, me thinks a great return :)

Same.
It wasn't perfect, there were a couple of scenes which were a bit too mawkish/heavy handed. But Karl was great (more of him please), and so were Ricky and Kerry Godliman.

I think Ricky should shelve the second series of Life's Too Short and just concentrate on making a series of this instead.

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2012, 8:50 PM BST

Lol, it's a small nursing home, they don't pass away weekly in a small nursing home Aaron. Are you not aware some people live out their final 'years' in these places?

And it was a half hour slot, very limiting to set up all that was achieved. (would have loved longer) He did set up their relationship in the episode I saw :)

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 13 2012, 10:19 PM BST

Yeah, their relationship was set up as well as it could have been within a 24 minute pilot.

Pleased

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2012, 10:33 PM BST

Same.
It wasn't perfect, there were a couple of scenes whcih were a bit too mawkish/heavy handed. But Karl was great (more of him please), and so were Ricky and Kerry Godliman.

I think Ricky should shelve the second series of Life's Too Short and just concentrate on making a series of this instead.

:)

Quote: random @ April 13 2012, 10:35 PM BST

Lol, it's a small nursing home, they don't pass away weekly in a small nursing home Aaron. Are you not aware some people live out their final 'years' in these places?

Of course. But I didn't say weekly. Granted, it's probably a bit less regular than even every few weeks, but y'know, it's still a nursing home, the sole purpose of which is to care for people until they die. Was there any allusion as to how long Derek was supposed to have been working there? I don't recall any mention, but certainly didn't pick up that he was a new recruit.

Average life span once entering such a home is about 24 months, BTW.