Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 20

Watched episode 3 last night. A couple of sniggers but really not very good. I think I've given this a fair go and probably won't be watching again.

I was sick down myself last night; I found it considerably more entertaining than episode 2.

I actually feel really sorry for Noel. I have a strong suspicion he has spunked all his talent on the kind of drugs that are best left well alone. Ask Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston.

Series 2 is going to be one of the most painful things to watch ever if it gets made.

Sorry Noel, lay off the crack and heroin mate. Watching someone self destruct isn't funny.

Quote: Harridan @ February 12 2012, 11:37 AM GMT

weirdness, self-indulgent and completely lacking in focus.

All of those things yes, but there's an innocent inoffensiveness to it, and though it certainly seems like an experimental reversal of a kids TV show, I like Noel in it. I never watched the Boosh so have nothing to compare it to, having only ever seen him on panel shows. The 'wayoutness' of the show may prove too much of a leap, but I don't see it as being ironic for the sake of it, more the product of a wild imagination being let loose...his drug habits I know nothing about so can't say if the whole thing is one long trip he once had coming to life, or just a creative man child at work.

Quote: what @ February 13 2012, 2:56 PM GMT

Watching someone self destruct isn't funny.

Errr

It is on Al Quaeda's you've been framed.

I thought Episode one was pretty painful to watch but episode 2 & 4 (missed 3) had some genuine moments of brilliance in them. I'm up for weird niche comedy though so I can imagine how many bewildered viewers there are out there.

Noel has some great ideas and a unique vision but he needs someone to talk him out of some of the balls to the wall weird and unfunny stuff he comes out with i.e talking stingray & The Chocolate finger soldier.

So overall I think it's been a pretty decent if patchy solo outing for Mr Fielding.

Student Grant in Viz slates this, this week.

If he's trying to make juvenile middle aged gits like himself laugh then he's failed with this juvenile middle aged git.

Noel is taking nothing but abuse from his 'fans' on twitter about this show. And he's replying to a lot of it.

Like others, disappointed by first show, BUT I am now addicted. How dare I doubt the genius of Noel. OK, it's not always funny, but there has to be a place for this type of show and comedy and indeed somebody like Noel. Long live the imagination, let the surrealness continue.

Yeah, the first show was a (lack of a) joke. But much better now. I have a soft spot for ice cream eyes.

Watched last night's, still very good fun.

Watched this for the first time last night. I should state that I don't dislike Noel Fielding at all. I think he's good in The IT Crowd and entertaining on Buzzcocks. But this...what is it? I genuinely can't imagine people sitting and laughing out loud at this. Yes, it's colourful and different, but where is the actual humour? The punchlines, the jokes? It's a tired expression, but zany for zany's sake doesn't automatically equate to good comedy. I honestly think literally anyone could write this. There is no underlying message, there is no plot to speak of. Let's give it a go.

SCENE ONE.

A stick insect with a Beatle wig is getting a haircut. He looks at the creams and lotions on the counter and they're all poisonous. He then looks out of the window and it's raining sausages. He looks back at the mirror and it's an image of his wife asking him if he's done the garden, because "it's a shithole." He looks back to the barber, who's a skeleton. He screams. End scene.

SCENE TWO.

Our protagonist is reading a magazine, called "The Wondeful World of Biscuit Shaped Marsupials" or something. He opens the magazine and a free sample of shampoo falls out. He picks up the shampoo and goes to start using it. As he goes to cut it open, the shampoo sample comes to life and says, in a cockney accent, "Oi you slag! You got no feelings or something? All easy for you, with your everyday life. Nobody ever gives consideration to the samples. They said I'd be famous. Cor, what a life."

AD BREAK

As Vic Reeves, who understands zany humour, would say; "Very poor."

Quote: Millsy @ February 29 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

I genuinely can't imagine people sitting and laughing out loud at this.

Try harder then!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 29 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

Try harder then!

Careful though, try too hard and you become Noel Fielding.

Don't get bogged down with it Millsy, some people find it funny, some people don't.