Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 21

Quote: Millsy @ February 29 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

Let's give it a go./ "Very poor."

However unfunny we thought it was (and I gave up on it, although I did laugh twice in ep 2), it certainly has provided a catalyst for self-consciously bad surreal creativity, which is still nonetheless a form of creativity, and therefore has value.

(puts on bacon earmuffs and a coat of watering cans, then paddles off down a stream of liquidised Margaret Thatcher with my friend the skipping-rope ghost in a the oversized platform boots Elton John wore in Tommy, through a landscape of Antony Worrall Thompson's facial hair into a jar of Eric Pickles*)

(*oops, too much like a gag to be authentic)

I need to check this out, I do love good old Noel!

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 29 2012, 1:21 PM GMT

Careful though, try too hard and you become Noel Fielding.

Don't get bogged down with it Millsy, some people find it funny, some people don't.

Which is of course fine. There just aren't any jokes as far as I can see!

Like it Nogget. Perhaps this place can be renamed the British Luxury Comedy Guide, a place where we can all go on wonderful flights of fantasy.

Neither being a fan or someone who specifically dislikes Noel Fielding I watched a few mintues of it and just found it directionless and dull. The reviews on the other hand I found quite interesting.

For your interest: http://liverpoolstudentmedia.com/2012/02/noel-fieldings-luxury-comedy-television-review/

Quote:
All good comedy needs a victim, preferably a human one. In Boosh, there was the downtrodden and defenceless Howard Moon. On Never Mind the Buzzcocks they have some mophead, smack-addled two bob indie eejit they've paid to mumble into his own hand. On Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy, in a land of manta ray music producers and Mexican wolf boys, it can only be you, the viewer, for having to put up with such bewilderingly unfunny nothingness. Don't watch it. You don't deserve this.

http://comedyjournal.co.uk/reviews/noel-fieldings-luxury-comedy

Quote:
Admittedly, as with most sketch shows, some scenes don't work as well as others and if you're not a fan of The Mighty Boosh, NFLC definitely won't be for you. However, if Fielding's aim was to create something in the spirit of the notoriously surreal Spike Milligan, I think he's achieved it. Roll on Episode Two then, while I go off to peel my brain from the ceiling...

Quote: Millsy @ February 29 2012, 1:47 PM GMT

Which is of course fine. There just aren't any jokes as far as I can see!

Like it Nogget. Perhaps this place can be renamed the British Luxury Comedy Guide, a place where we can all go on wonderful flights of fantasy.

I agree with both points.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 29 2012, 2:16 PM GMT

http://comedyjournal.co.uk/reviews/noel-fieldings-luxury-comedy
Quote:
Admittedly, as with most sketch shows, some scenes don't work as well as others and if you're not a fan of The Mighty Boosh, NFLC definitely won't be for you. However, if Fielding's aim was to create something in the spirit of the notoriously surreal Spike Milligan, I think he's achieved it. Roll on Episode Two then, while I go off to peel my brain from the ceiling...

Now I don't agree with this comment about it being in the same spirit as Spike Milligan. Spike Milligan didn't rely on painting a new psychedelic world (with a g-string made of bananas), it is something completely different. In addition Milligan could make jokes. Episodes of Q8 are on YouTube and it has definitely got jokes in it. I find Fielding's humour to be more in the vein of 'naughty' grammar schoolboy humour, with the same grin.

However this Fielding-style 'surrealism' could be a new meme.

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 29 2012, 5:36 PM GMT

I find Fielding's humour to be more in the vein of 'naughty' grammar schoolboy humour, with the same grin.

As a grammar school boy, I find that highly offensive! :P

Quote: Aaron @ February 29 2012, 5:40 PM GMT

As a grammar school boy, I find that highly offensive! :P

So was I on both accounts.

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 29 2012, 5:36 PM GMT

However this Fielding-style 'surrealism' could be a new meme.

Perhaps we could we call it Fieldinism? As in "a new Fieldinist comedy will be on Tuesday on BBC Three"? Similar to Pythonesque?

Oh dear. I just compared Noel Fielding to Python. I must go and beat myself up.

Yes, beat yourself about the prostate with a bowl of crunchy nut while singing "Give Me Oil In My Lamp".

Quote: Millsy @ February 29 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

SCENE ONE.

A stick insect with a Beatle wig is getting a haircut.

That made me laugh without even seeing the programme. Laughing out loud

In defence of the Jelly Fox.

Really enjoyed this show and can't wait for a second series. I find the vitriolic comments on here puzzling,...Noel Fielding is a rare talent, a great comedian and comedy-writer, as well as being a unique visual artist (the only other similarly-gifted individual I can think of is Spike Milligan).

Reasons for liking LUXURY COMEDY

The comedy Fielding offered had depth, it was indeed 'luxurious'. Take the character Fantasy Man for example, very funny whilst being poignant (always a worthy comedy recipe), sketches based on a man who has adventures in a fantastically realised world full of light in which he is a hero...but who switches back into a 'real' world (which is portrayed as dark, dirty, urban and dangerous). We then realise that Fantasy Man is actually mentally delusional.
Also Dondy Lion...on the face of it a bouncy caged lion trying to make the best of his captivity decaying into a tearful wreck.... being a comment on the effect of Zoos on wild animals. A controversial issue.

The music on the show was exceptionally good. With the input of Kasabian's Serge Pizzorno, many of the songs were produced to a high level as well as being hilarious. Many of them being 'stand alone' music videos.

The Art....Noel's unique art, sublime and giving a coherence to the disparate sketches.

The show appealed to many generations. Noel Fielding is approaching 40, yet my son of 16 and his friends can't get enough of his comedy.

I also like the fact that Noel assumes his audience is intelligent enough to understand his references, i.e. Andy Warhol pretending to be Freda Kahlo....

Those of you who are attacking this show may well have missed the boat on what will undoubtedly be seen as a 'cult' comedy show in the future. Maybe you should make yourselve another cup of cocoa and sit in your armchairs watching the 'safe' sterile comedy-pap served up by the BBC, such as Watson and Oliver.

Only managed to catch about four episodes, including last night's, but really did enjoy it. Glad there will be more. (Be even more glad if he and Julian get some fresh Boosh action on the boil.)

Quote: freddie gagtella @ March 9 2012, 7:53 AM GMT

Really enjoyed this show and can't wait for a second series. I find the vitriolic comments on here puzzling,...Noel Fielding is a rare talent, a great comedian and comedy-writer, as well as being a unique visual artist (the only other similarly-gifted individual I can think of is Spike Milligan).

Still don't agree with the comparison, (oh well). The way I see it is that Spike Milligan was pretty much grounded in the real world, with his surrealism walking off the edge. Whereas Fielding is something else and indeed somewhere else (no inclination to liking him).

I also like the fact that Noel assumes his audience is intelligent enough to understand his references, i.e. Andy Warhol pretending to be Freda Kahlo....

Being nitpicky but not "intelligent", just in the know. If you have ever been in a debate about intelligence you would know how tricky it is to define. :)
(I say this because I have no idea what you are on about.)

Maybe you should make yourselve another cup of cocoa and sit in your armchairs watching the 'safe' sterile comedy-pap served up by the BBC, such as Watson and Oliver.

Never had cocoa before but I have watched Watson and Oliver and I find it to be a desert in terms of comedy, i.e. there is very little. You would need to be a comedy cactus to stand a good chance of finding laughs.

Love this show, also love cocoa. Conflicted.

It had its moments, but it wasn't overall good. People who disagree really need to be reeducated for their own good.

Example the squirrel with a shotgun.
Nice joke a small stuffed squirrel with a Tenessee accent would appear to be planning on raping Noel Fielding. Nice simple, slightly surreal joke.

Would work brilliantly if played against a straight man. Except Noel is walking in a wacky manner whilst wearing a world war one helmet. And silly pointless music plays in the background.

The culinary equivalent of when Rachel in Friends made a trifle with minced lamb. Because she got the recipe wrong.

And getting the recipe wrong happens again and again. That boring yellow cop, that boring mantaray the intermidable bit about fab lollies.

Every time he makes fun of Andy Warhol or Joey Ramone. My only thought is you're not worthy.

The truly pointless choccy finger bloke.

But there keep being neat bits that infuriatingly work. Secret Peter was pure Vic Reeves character comedy (I laughed at the bit about him shitting his cereal outside the shop). Or the actually inspired Jelly Fox runner.

But it's up against the tutting mountains, the chlamydia fox and Daddy thingy. And every other boring self indulgent faux surrealist indulgence.