Female comedians Page 7

entered the right-on wonderlance Ltd......

Time has proved that female comics are not up par with their male counter parts.This is not to say female comics can't be funny.Personally I think the funniest female in the industry is Caroline Aheren.Just thought I'd mention that.

I personally think it has something to do with the impression men give out about themselves.Its easier to laugh at men about themselves
.The self-deprocating style I think fits males moreso whereas women just can't seem to make that connection with the audience.

Either that or they just aren't as funny.

I instantly massively dislike you. Well done, that must be a record. It usually takes me seeing at least 5 of someones' posts before I decide that the world is better of without them :)

lol as of now men>>>>>>women at being funny or at least the famous ones are.

I would have thought history and general opinion would have proved that point.

Just my thoughts....

Quote: buyon ferry @ October 14 2010, 1:42 PM BST

Just my thoughts....

Thanks for sharing them...

In future, could you try to use full stops, etc properly? Posts can be hard to read when the poster has decided to use punctuation in some strange, unique way. Thank you.

People saying things like that is one of the main reasons women have a hard time getting into comedy (especially stand-up). I'm just glad that the people who've been at my gigs haven't been of that poor school of thought.

I think I've made it overtly obvious that I think Sarah Millican is the best of her comedy generation (closely followed by probably Ed Byrne). It's such a shame so many funny women will never get into performing comedy. Makes my heart sad.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ October 14 2010, 1:49 PM BST

People saying things like that is one of the main reasons women have a hard time getting into comedy (especially stand-up). I'm just glad that the people who've been at my gigs haven't been of that poor school of thought.

I think I've made it overtly obvious that I think Sarah Millican is the best of her comedy generation (closely followed by probably Ed Byrne). It's such a shame so many funny women will never get into performing comedy. Makes my heart sad.

I don't think it can be that hard if they are funny enough. Also it wouldn't appear so as they are many female comics around. I would have to agree with Sarah Millican being good although not the best of her generation. I'm sure if you're good enough you will make it as a female comic.

Got to be better than what's on offer now lol. j/k.

Quote: zooo @ October 14 2010, 1:45 PM BST

In future, could you try to use full stops, etc properly? Posts can be hard to read when the poster has decided to use punctuation in some strange, unique way. Thank you.

I want to hurt you.

For the record though, there is the highest number of female comics now than there ever has been. In this year's Fringe, 1/5th of the comedy performers were women. One of the reasons there aren't more is that preconception that they'll probably not be as funny as their equivalent male counterpart anyway, so why bother?

I wish this thread didn't exist. It's making my inferior female emotions all a-flap.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ October 14 2010, 2:09 PM BST

I want to hurt you.

For the record though, there is the highest number of female comics now than there ever has been. In this year's Fringe, 1/5th of the comedy performers were women. One of the reasons there aren't more is that preconception that they'll probably not be as funny as their equivalent male counterpart anyway, so why bother?

I wish this thread didn't exist. It's making my inferior female emotions all a-flap.

Yes, well that's to be expected.

Also, that was the point I was making. There are more female comics now than there have ever been so it is easier than ever for females to make it in comedy and if they are going to give up because of a preconception that they think males have then that's no attitude is it?

Wait, hang on, am I being trolled? This isn't an actual human being is it?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ October 14 2010, 2:21 PM BST

Wait, hang on, am I being trolled? This isn't an actual human being is it?

What does being trolled mean?

Do you find female comedians funnier or as funnier overall?

I must add I am curious to find out your favourite comics. May I request a top 5 or 10 list?

I'd say out of my top five/ten list probably about 1/5th of them are women. The maths is right. I think the percentage of funny female comics and the percentage of funny make comics are equal. Percentage mind you, not number. That would be ludicrous.

Do you think the best comedians out there, or of all time, are male because there is more of them? The tone of that sentence may come out harsher than intended.

If you have 100 of one group and 20 of another with objective equal skills, which goup do you think would statistically dominate a leaderboard? I would have thought that was fairly obvious. And even now we're still in an obvious minority, it has been an even smaller minority historically.

It doesn't help also that a big chunk of the female alternative comedians who came to TV fame in the 80s told a lot of jokes which were fairly inaccessible to a dominating male audience. I respect them for pioneering lady stand-ups, but it has certainly gone a long way to perpetuating dangerous stereotypes.