Things that piss you off Page 857

The first film of his I saw was the Wedding Singer. About his only solidly good film. So everything since then has been a disapointment.

His role as a hi status character who does well is just comedy kryptonite.

ALbeit Happy Gilmore was ok.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 6 2012, 1:21 PM GMT

Adam Sandler who I used to think was a comedy legend

:O

Quote: sootyj @ February 6 2012, 1:23 PM GMT

The first film of his I saw was the Wedding Singer.

That's the only one of his own films I've liked.

He's been good in one or two other peoples films; like Punchdrunk Love.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 6 2012, 1:23 PM GMT

:O

The first time I saw him, he was doing little bit parts on an MTV game show and he shone out amongst the rest of the cast. Then he did some great bits on SNL for years.

Then Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore came out and I thought he was hilarious. The Waterboy soon followed and then the rot began to set in.

Every script was the same - I am a man child who must learn a valuable lesson in order to mature as a human being and attain happiness.

Pants!

Oh my God have you seen the trailer for that new Adam Sandler film? (I'm sure it's him) where he plays his own twin sister?
For f**k's sake. I was sure it must be a joke.

Quote: zooo @ February 6 2012, 1:30 PM GMT

Oh my God have you seen the trailer for that new Adam Sandler film? (I'm sure it's him) where he plays his own twin sister?
For f**k's sake. I was sure it must be a joke.

Been and gone at the cinema here. Made it half way through the very short trailer before switching channels.

There were all these conspiracies going round that it was a fake trailer and he was playing a big joke on the audience. But it turned out to be true and though it failed spectacularly at the box office (and was utter donkey shit), Sandler made a ton of cash from the initial investors.

S owas the thoery that the actual film was different or that the trailer was made as spoof to be put on YouTube?

Everyone thought that the trailer for Jack and Jill was fake and that when they went to the cinema, they'd be shown a completely different film.

In Unfunny People, Sandler's character was mocked for appearing in a slew of bad comedy films - Merman, Re-Do, etc.

It was thought that the Jack and Jill trailer would appear in the film, but only as a joke to show the kind of terrible movies his character was making.

Whoops.

Well I don't know how he can sleep at night!

(Aside from cuddling up to all his piles of cash...)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 6 2012, 1:05 PM GMT

something genuinely brilliant like Dodgeball

I was right behind you until you said that. Eh?

Can't undsrstand any major antipathy towards Superbad. Remember, it was a teen comedy targetted at the teen market. Considering that such efforts are usually completely dire, Superbad is actually a very good example of how to do a teen comedy well. It was properly funny in some places and took a standard teen movie-type plot and gave it some freshness and originality. The casting was really good too, with Michael Cera and Jonah Hill giving a couple of great performances (in the days before they were in everything and everyone got sick of them). Rogen's performance as one of the cops was very funny too.

Quote: sootyj @ February 6 2012, 1:14 PM GMT

Superbad and Kncoked Up were just ghastly.

Kinda like some awful mutant version of a John Hughes film. Where the writer just went, man the thing missing from 16 Candles was nudity, swearing and fart gags.

Eurgh they were the Pukka pies of movies.

It's a rum do. I have Superbad, Knocked Up and 40-Year-Old Virgin in the stack of DVDs I haven't watched yet. Based on Sooty's review the first two will remain unwatched. The upshot is that clever dirty comedies have now become preachy morality films with fart jokes?

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 6 2012, 2:11 PM GMT

Can't undsrstand any major antipathy towards Superbad. Remember, it was a teen comedy targetted at the teen market. Considering that such efforts are usually completely dire, Superbad is actually a very good example of how to do a teen comedy well. It was properly funny in some places and took a standard teen movie-type plot and gave it some freshness and originality. The casting was really good too, with Michael Cera and Jonah Hill giving a couple of great performances (in the days before they were in everything and everyone got sick of them). Rogen's performance as one of the cops was very funny too.

It's a rum do. Based on Tim Walker's comments I will likely watch Superbad, provided it has Chinese subtitles.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 6 2012, 2:11 PM GMT

Can't undsrstand any major antipathy towards Superbad.

Explanation coming up - It was hyped to the heavens as the greatest teen comedy of them all. A fresh, hip, look at the popular teen culture and a reflection of American society at the time.

It was in fact a film with two jokes - period blood stain on jeans and a guy who calls himself McLovin. And that's about it.

As sooty pointed, John Hughes (and his ilk) were making classic teen comedy back in the day - 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Better Off Dead, Weird Science, etc. - proper films that were proper funny and proper good.

Michael Cera and Jonah Hill were great in Superbad - in fact so good, they've decided to play the same characters in every single film they've made since.

Quote: Lee @ February 6 2012, 2:10 PM GMT

I was right behind you until you said that. Eh?

I am glad that you are no longer behind me. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 6 2012, 2:55 PM GMT

It was hyped to the heavens as the greatest teen comedy of them all.

By who??? I'm not saying it wasn't. But God man. Don't hate something because it was popular.

Quote: Lee @ February 6 2012, 3:06 PM GMT

By who??? I'm not saying it wasn't. But God man. Don't hate something because it was popular.

Please read the rest of my reply including the two jokes in the entire film bit. The Hangover was hyped to death, but when I saw it, I quite enjoyed it. So that sinks your theory.

And don't get me started on Forgetting Sarah Marshall - the most hyped piece of shit I've ever seen - it was astonishingly awful.