I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,697

Quote: Nogget @ 14th January 2015, 7:42 AM GMT

a new YouGov poll showing that 45 per cent of Britons agreed with at least one of four antisemitic statements put to them./../ one in five accepted as true that "Jews' loyalty to Israel makes them less loyal to Britain than other British people

Not sure if that question really determines anti-Semitism, surely a lot of people could answer Yes just by not understanding the implications.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-new-antisemitism-majority-of-british-jews-feel-they-have-no-future-in-uk-says-new-study-9976310.html

Yet on each of the questions, the vast majority disagreed with the 'anti-jewish' statement. (75%, 87% & 80% respectively)
And what was the 4th question?
Seems a funny way to report the figures.

The campaign against antisemitism are very much a fringe group that popped up last summer.
Round about the time the support Gaza campaign took a rather spin from being proPalestinian and even Anti Israeli, to out right antisemitic.
I'm thinking of the Jewish Film Festival being driven out of the Tricycle theatre.
Like so many of the [offence industry] groupings such as TelMAMA or Everyday sexism. Their main purpose is to create the impression of a massive awful, threat that only they can oppose.

The thing that is fascinating is CAS is so well crass and their survey so easily debunked. It's an interesting study in the very modern phenmomena of organised panic and paranoia.

That last phrase is excellent.

So "spot on" (unfortunately).

I see Cameron and Obama are going to 'share intelligence'.

Well. that should get it close to three figures.

Brilliant ! Needed saying. F**ked off with the hype.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/18/weather-forecast-british-warning-cold

Pope says I'll knock your lights out if you knock my mum. Which is code for it's fine for religious lunatics to slaughter you in the street if you criticise their god.

Good old RC, they've been totally outdone by islam for dangerous religious nuttery in last few years but this is a good attempt to get back in there.

Dierdre has died.

In real life.

Yikes. How will they explain that I wonder.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 19th January 2015, 9:34 PM GMT

Dierdre has died.

In real life.

Oh no!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30891246

She spent 44 years on Corrie!

No offence to the woman - she's not the only one - but I truly don't understand any actor worth the name who stays playing one character in one show for that amount of time. It would be like mindlessly feeding a conveyor belt.

When my wife announced "She's died!" I thought she was talking about the Queen, not some soap actress. >_<

A five-year-old was billed for failing to attend a friend's birthday party - resulting in threats of legal action.

Alex Nash, from Cornwall, was invited to the party just before Christmas.

An invoice for £15.95 was sent by his schoolfriend's mother Julie Lawrence, who said Alex's non-attendance left her out of pocket and his parents had her details to tell her he was not going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30876360

The question is, which set of parents are the worse? The invoicers, for their bizarre litigiousness, or the invoicees, for their rudeness? I think most people would say the invoicers were worst, but I have to say, if their overreaction prompts other party-cancellers to do the decent thing and contact the hosts before not turning up, then they have done us all a good service.

Quote: keewik @ 19th January 2015, 11:37 PM GMT

No offence to the woman - she's not the only one - but I truly don't understand any actor worth the name who stays playing one character in one show for that amount of time. It would be like mindlessly feeding a conveyor belt.

Sadly, it's very hard to get decent work after a run in a soap.
What starts out as a decent earner becomes a life sentence.
A few have made it over the wall - but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th January 2015, 9:32 AM GMT

Sadly, it's very hard to get decent work after a run in a soap.
What starts out as a decent earner becomes a life sentence.
A few have made it over the wall - but they are the exception rather than the rule.

She might have enjoyed it.

There is probably a strong argument to ban any talk about the deaths of famous people in the media and on the internet. It's not very British. In fact, death didn't happen in this country until 24 hour news and social forums. Well, it did but only to the Zarathustrians.