I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,695

Just out of curiosity - police seem to shoot to kill fairly quickly if the person in question doesn't put the gun down (real or fake) immediately. I've always wondered how often deaf people have been shot cos they have no idea a bunch of cops are behind them telling them to lower their weapon.

Quote: zooo @ 10th January 2015, 12:15 PM GMT

Just out of curiosity - police seem to shoot to kill fairly quickly if the person in question doesn't put the gun down (real or fake) immediately. I've always wondered how often deaf people have been shot cos they have no idea a bunch of cops are behind them telling them to lower their weapon.

It has happened on occasion, but the scenario as you describe it is unlikely to take place. The cops don't typically shoot someone in the back, so they're unlikely to shoot someone who is facing away and can't see them. Once he turns around and points the gun in their direction, he's a goner.

Ah, I see. I shall wonder about it no longer.
Plus if you're deaf you probably make yourself a bit more visually aware of what's happening around you, I suppose.

I can't help thinking that if there was as much money in 'knock-down' weaponry as there is in the more lethal kind, there would've been a bit more R&D by now.
Perhaps they should start.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th January 2015, 12:31 PM GMT

I can't help thinking that if there was as much money in 'knock-down' weaponry as there is in the more lethal kind, there would've been a bit more R&D by now.
Perhaps they should start.

Hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on such R&D. Less-lethal (note that it's not 'less than lethal') weaponry is big business, but terrorist attacks and hostage situations are not ideal for such weapons. They are designed to clear rioters or subdue non-combatants in a military raid, not serve as the only line of defence in a deadly situation.

Figures more likely in the billions

The perfect incapicating weapon is something of a holy grail, or better mouse trap.

In the 90s the US Marines tried sticky foam guns in Somalia and ended up hitting people in the face and choking them.

In the naughties FN Herstal produced a paintball gun that fired rubber balls, pepper balls and paint markers. Ended up killing or blinding protestors every time it was used.

Then the Tazer corporation came up with a self contained taser shotgun shell. Which cost 50 dollars a shot and like most tasers doesn't work well on really angry people, it's use was reckoned to have made Raul Moat kill himself.

Ultimately they're all less lethal. And if it's an armoured, desperate client with a machine gun and possible a rocket launcher or grenade.

You shoot them in middle of the face and blow their brains out. Unless they surrender of course.

Quote: sootyj @ 10th January 2015, 4:06 PM GMT

You shoot them in middle of the face and blow their brains out. Unless they surrender of course.

Yep. Tranquilizer darts are a great pie-in-the-sky idea until you consider the realities of deploying them. The dosage that would stop an enraged 300-pound man would likely kill a petite woman. The drug would be injected into a muscle, so it would probably take on the order of minutes to incapacitate someone.

The sad reality is that the only real option once negotiations have failed is to try to kill the bad guys while trying to keep the good guys alive.

As was seen in the Moscow theatre siege where they used anaesthetic nerve gas

Quote: sootyj @ 10th January 2015, 5:40 PM GMT

As was seen in the Moscow theatre siege where they used anaesthetic nerve gas

I mentioned that earlier. Keep up! ;)

Yeah but well done to the Ruskies for being creative, it was a fantastic Bond villain idea you'd expect from Putin. OK they ending up killing EVERYONE Laughing out loud but at least they tried it. 'Back to machine guns now lads.'

Quote: Chappers @ 9th January 2015, 11:24 PM GMT

I did that years ago and had to have my say in court.

My argument was that there are 10 payments in a period of 12 months. Why couldn't I choose which months to pay as long as it was paid up within the year.

Needless to say nobody agreed with my argument.

Great aren't they!!! :D

Quote: DaButt @ 10th January 2015, 5:44 PM GMT

I mentioned that earlier. Keep up! ;)

So did I you cranky old geezer

Watching the news on channel4 about the Charlie incidents in Fance Krishna whatisname referred to the French tricolour being beamed onto London Bridge. Funny ' looked like Tower Bridge to me.

In Britain, it's not just no-go zones, there are actual cities like Birmingham that are totally Muslim where non-Muslims just simply don't go in.

Parts of London, there are actually Muslim religious police that actually beat and actually wound seriously anyone who doesn't dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11338985/Fox-News-terror-expert-says-everyone-in-Birmingham-is-a-Muslim.html

American terrorism commentator Steven Emerson speaking on Fox News has been forced to apologise for the above remarks.

Quote: Nogget @ 12th January 2015, 9:39 AM GMT

In Britain, it's not just no-go zones, there are actual cities like Birmingham that are totally Muslim where non-Muslims just simply don't go in.

Parts of London, there are actually Muslim religious police that actually beat and actually wound seriously anyone who doesn't dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11338985/Fox-News-terror-expert-says-everyone-in-Birmingham-is-a-Muslim.html

American terrorism commentator Steven Emerson speaking on Fox News has been forced to apologise for the above remarks.

Americans need to get out more.