I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,675

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th October 2014, 4:53 PM BST

Of course it's unsavoury, dirty bastard. The maturity of a 31 year old to that of a 17 year old is completely different - only, the 17 year old doesn't know that.

It's not right and never will be!

Preeezunctly.

Can I throw a different light on this? When I was in school, some of us lusted after a teacher who was 14 years older, unmarried. After we left school he sent a letter to one of us asking her out. She didn't go because by now she was over him. Had it been me, I'd have been daft enough to go, though many years later I discovered he was a pretentious arsehole. He never did marry and died quite young. It's not actually a big age gap and if both are free, what's the problem?

Some women prefer older men.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th October 2014, 4:53 PM BST

Of course it's unsavoury, dirty bastard. The maturity of a 31 year old to that of a 17 year old is completely different - only, the 17 year old doesn't know that.

It's not right and never will be!

Why not? 14 years is nothing.

I remember a geography teacher at school who was notorious for dating sixth formers; oddly that did not seem to be a sackable offence. They eventually succeeded in getting shot of him after he was arrested for stealing bags of cement off a local building site.

I also seem to recall a lady art teacher who had a tendency to show up to work with black eyes doled out by her husband; she was rumoured to have sought solace in the arms of one of the sixth form boys.

More innocent days.

Depends on what people do with the intervening fourteen years I suppose.

Quote: Tursiops @ 12th October 2014, 9:50 PM BST

.... in the arms of one of the sixth form boys...

Young Tursiops?

Yeh it's ridiculous I got sacked for dating when I worked at the RSPCA animal shelter.

Ok I was 10 years old, but in cat years she was older than me.

I think it should have stayed a legal grey area.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th October 2014, 9:43 PM BST

Why not? 14 years is nothing.

Funnily enough I was watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Sidney Poitier was a 37 year old professor and Katherine Houghton a 23 year old student. This of course is not the reason their relationship was considered shocking. Times have changed somewhat.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th October 2014, 9:53 PM BST

Young Tursiops?

Sadly not, I had to wait rather longer than the sixth form to lose my cherry.

When I was 16 my boyfriend was 23. Obviously a few years later that 7 year gap is nothing, but looking back now that was pretty gross (he wasn't a teacher, obviously, just an immature eejit.) If the younger person is a teenager then that gap is way more inappropriate than if the younger person is 30 odd.

So concentrating on the age gap alone is misleading and irrelevant.

Quote: Tursiops @ 12th October 2014, 9:50 PM BST

They eventually succeeded in getting shot of him after he was arrested for stealing bags of cement off a local building site.

He was bound to get caught.
There was concrete evidence against him.

'Spect he was mortarfied..............

Quote: Nogget @ 13th October 2014, 12:01 PM BST

He was bound to get caught.
There was concrete evidence against him.

but only after a lot of stirring

Quote: sootyj @ 13th October 2014, 12:53 PM BST

but only after a lot of stirring

They actually use vibrators on concrete. Poker vibrators. Honestly!

..............and rendered speechless.

Quote: Nogget @ 13th October 2014, 1:04 PM BST

They actually use vibrators on concrete. Poker vibrators. Honestly!

Well I wouldn't poker with a vibrator - what a waste. :P