Award-winning comedian Samantha Baines (The Crown, Sunny D, BBC Radio 4) returns to Edinburgh after a smash-hit, sell-out run in 2016. This year she's exploring the lost women of science. Expect facts, puns and an ear trumpet attached to a whiskey bottle. It's science meets funny. 'One of the ones to watch' (Evening Standard). 'Very funny' (BeyondTheJoke.co.uk). 'One of the punniest comedians in the land' (Metro). 'One of the best comedians on the circuit' (ComedyCoroner.WordPress.com).
- Chortle: Who is the unsung hero of the Fringe and why?
- Chortle: What would be your fantasy sketch quartet?
- Chortle: Samantha Baines picks her perfect playlist
- Chortle: What do you think of critics?
- The List: Fringesider #5: the Fringe through a feminist lense
- Chortle: What's the oddest thing you've read in a Fringe review?
- Chortle: What do you plan to do on your day off?
- Culturised: In conversation with Samantha Baines
- Laugh Out London: Samantha Baines: Edinburgh Fringe 2017 interview
- Chortle: What track do you walk on to and why?
- Moody Comedy: The Edinburgh interviews 2017: Samantha Baines
- British Comedy Guide: Fringe comedians remember their smallest gigs
- Funny Women: Samantha Baines is poentry to our ears
- Chortle: The one thing Fringe performers wish they knew first
- The Aperiodical: Maths at the Edinburgh Fringe
- Edinburgh49: +3 interview: 1 Woman, a High-Flyer and a Flat Bottom
- The Huffington Post: Seven Edinburgh survival tips from Fringe performers
- Broadway Baby: #EdFringe17: Sam Baines
- The Telegraph: The 20 funniest one-liners from the Edinburgh Fringe
- Female First: Samantha Baines discusses her new show
- Broadway World: BWW Q&A- Samantha Baines
Award-winning comedian Samantha Baines (as seen in The Crown and Bucket) returns to the Edinburgh Fringe following a sell-out run in 2016. This year she's exploring the lost women of science in 1 Woman, A High-Flyer and a Flat Bottom. Expect facts, puns and an ear trumpet attached to a whiskey bottle. Samantha's naturally charming wit ensures big laughs and her boundless enthusiasm for science means you might learn a little something too.
In 2017, Samantha has been touring her smash-hit debut show 1 Woman, A Dwarf Planet and 2 Cox around the UK and became the first woman to make the final of the UK Pun Championship. She has previously been awarded the 24 Hour Film Race Best Actress, What the Frock Best Newcomer Award 2015 and was a Funny Women Awards Finalist in 2014.
As an actress Samantha has appeared as Mary in The Crown (Netflix), Janet in Sunny D (BBC3), Dot in Call the Midwife (BBC1), Miranda in Bucket (BBC4), Steph in Lee Nelson's Well Funny People (BBC3) and Mary in A Royal Night Out (feature film) and various characters in Pop Sludge (4music).
As a journalist she has written for The Guardian, The Pool and Standard Issue and regularly contributes to Time Out, who named her Featured Blogger of the Year 2015. She can regularly be heard on BBC Radio 4 and TalkRADIO, has guest hosted shows on Virgin Radio and BBC Radio London and hosts her own weekly Hoxton Radio show and podcast Baines Plus One which has been featured in the iTunes new and noteworthy highlights.
"One of the punniest comedians in the land" Metro
"effortlessly mingles science facts, feminism, puns and a high standard of audience interaction making her show stand out" **** Funny Women
"One of the best comedians on the circuit" ***** Comedy Coroner
"Very funny" BeyondTheJoke
"A multi-faceted talent to watch out for" **** Voicemag.uk