The strange and wonderful Mighty Boosh Page 4

Hush!
He is not old. Don't say it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 27 2008, 10:01 PM BST

You do realise Julian Barratt is getting on a bit! And though the TV series was last year, they are now doing a stage show for months and months, then probably (or even at the same time) writing the next series/film/other thing that is neither of those things. Take a break! Recharge! Come back stronger and full of ideas!

I kneeeer. (that was me being northern. I don't know why)
That's why it feels they've been gone for ages.

I have just finally started watching it. I saw them many years ago before the show on stage. Got the first series. I didn't laugh out loud at it but it was okay. Not something I'd rave about but the ideas and stuff are good. I'll keep trying.

Quote: Aaron @ October 25 2008, 4:08 PM BST

Godot is actually quite nice in real life.

This is true. It's the internet that makes me seem like a c**t.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 27 2008, 10:11 AM BST

I fall into the camp which thinks The Boosh are talentless comedians whose only fan base is made up of NME readers, students or ex students.

It is actually the NME who is talentless and whose only fanbase is students and ex students. When I was a student, the NME was considered shit because they regularly dissed The Wedding Present. I learned to despise them long before their twelve year old editor lambasted Morrissey for being a racist.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 27 2008, 9:50 PM BST

Basically, they're never going to beat series one; I loved the zooniverse, the intros and outros in front of the curtain, Bob Fossil, Bainbridge; it's still their best TV series so far.

I could not agree more with this analysis. The pair as two put upon zoo keepers who've failed to live up to their dreams is much cleverer than them as rocks stars doing gigs and running a boutique etc. And sorry to drop two cool names in one day, but when I met Paul King and suggested they bring back the red curtain. He said he got a lot of requests for it. He also also told me the production values of series one and two were about the same, even though series one looks much more expensive.

Quote: zooo @ October 27 2008, 9:52 PM BST

A bit like Red Dwarf. When the sets and effects get slicker and less ramshackle, the feel changes too much from what you fell in love with.

*Exactly* what I was going to say.

Life is a long song. They have already done well. Some bands only last 5 years, some go on for 25 years. The comedy business seems to have got more like the music biz in some ways, certainly for The Boosh anyway, as has been said already. Noel is enjoying the fruits of his success - and who could blame him!?
He makes me smile whenever I see his moosh! I don't care who their fanbase is, anyway it may change later. They are something out of the ordinary in my view and the only modern comedy I have found to my taste since the L of G.

These forums are great. I think for a whole page the topic went off disscussion, then magically became a debate about the Boosh.

I am an ex-student so maybe I do fit the demographic, however this is seriously not the type of comedy I usally enjoy. Saying that, I liked Monkey Dust too...

I tend to agree with the criticisms. Series three was better than people are giving it credit, Crack Fox was epic, The Shamens' Guild featured a lot and they always make me laugh (especially the little girl who is so off her tits she doesn't say a word).

And Godot has a point:

"The pair as two put upon zoo keepers who've failed to live up to their dreams is much cleverer than them as rocks stars doing gigs and running a boutique."

It was.

In regards to the NME, it's a rag (like the Daily Star but without the half-naked ladies); the people who use it as their life Bible need a good slap.

Edited by Aaron.

Ooh, Aaron is going to be all over your arse-capital letters Mr Evans! It's for your own good!

*cracks editing whip*

Quote: Aaron @ October 29 2008, 1:47 PM BST

*cracks editing whip*

*Bends over*

Quote: Winterlight @ October 27 2008, 10:11 AM BST

I fall into the camp which thinks The Boosh are talentless comedians

Hm. That's going to persuade him otherwise.

I'd watch it even if it wasn't considered a comedy.
I just love oddball retro tv. The Munsters, Adam's Family, Hilarious House of Frankenstein, the Ghostbusters (original 70's tv show). I can't help but love them all even when they aren't funny I find myself watching with childish amusement.
Hey if anyone can recommend anything else to this vein of similar television show I would be greatly appreciative.

The Munsters
The Adam's Family
Hilarious House of Frankenstein
Scoobie Doo
Ghostbusters (1975 tv show, pre movie)

Come to think of it the original Ghostbusters tv show reminds me a LOT of the Mighty Boosh. Two guys, one monkey coming across mystical and creepy comedic scenarios. I wonder if they ever watched the show as kids?

I am definitely starting to cool off in my love for all things Boosh.

Noel Fielding seems a bit annoying and I think if I went to see them live again like I did on the last tour I would be the only person above the age of 12 who wasn't a parent. Or a girl.

Edited by Aaron.

Yup it was the base idea for the movie apparently. I think some of the writers were fans of the show because it had so many guest old time comedy celebrities. Mostly from the show F-Troop plus a lot of old time 50s-60s from the same school as Rodney Dangerfield (although he wasn't ever in the show but they were all comedy pals).

did I type it in capitals? or did I Do This?