Using Celtx

A question to those that use Celtx.

Despite reading through the Celtx webpages, Wikipedia and the Celtx forum boards a question I have still remains unanswered (or perhaps I'm blind and have missed it?).

**Do you have to be online to actually use Celtx for script writing?

Someone mentioned this on the forum but their question was kind of answered in the positive and quickly sidestepped. The forum master said something along the lines of 'yes you need to be online but that is the trade off for great software'. The poster of the question was then thrown into a dark dungeon I believe.

The wardens here switch the power off at 9pm so I can't be going online when I want to write.

Please tell me I'm thick and have the wrong end of the stick and you don't need to be online to use this software.

Def.

You don't have to be online to use it.

As Shoepie says you can use it off line. The only reason you need to be online with it is to use the "Typeset" feature to create a formatted PDF version of your script.

kjs

You can go offline? Don't like the sound of that.

Quote: Mike Greybloke @ October 16 2008, 10:46 PM BST

You can go offline? Don't like the sound of that.

Yep... apparently there is something called the "Real world"... don't believe it myself, I think it's an urban legend...

kjs

Quote: KJSmyling @ October 16 2008, 10:44 PM BST

As Shoepie says you can use it off line. The only reason you need to be online with it is to use the "Typeset" feature to create a formatted PDF version of your script.

kjs

Oh I didn't know that. I use the free cutePDF for creating PDF files so you can even do that offline if you need to.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

I've just downloaded that software and it creeps me out a bit if you have to be online with the software to use it. All this talk of screenplays being stolen and stuff.

Honestly, you don't have to be online to use it?

Quote: ShoePie @ October 16 2008, 11:00 PM BST

Oh I didn't know that. I use the free cutePDF for creating PDF files so you can even do that offline if you need to.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

If you use the Typeset feature it automatically does all the MORE'S and CONTINUED'S etc. Just check that page size is set to A4 I think the default is "US letter" which buggers up the printing.

Quote: James Turner @ October 16 2008, 11:00 PM BST

I've just downloaded that software and it creeps me out a bit if you have to be online with the software to use it. All this talk of screenplays being stolen and stuff.

Honestly, you don't have to be online to use it?

You can be offline to use the basic features. Anyway the good folk at Celtx have more important things to do than read through the 1000's of scripts which pass through their servers each day on the off chance that the next Blade Runner/titanic/Gone with the Wind is on there. Anyway your script is typset sent back to you and wiped from the server. There is more chance of your stuff being nicked from a site like this or Writer's Dock than from Celtx...

kjs

Celtx is a great piece of software. Never experienced having to be online thing before?

I just looked and there are about 50 million versions of Celtx.

Which is the best one to download for a laptop?

(shows how computer illiterate I am)

Are you looking here... http://www.celtx.com/download.html

Just pick the one that matches your operating system (along the top) and language (down the side)... simples...

What iz on ur laptop? Windows, Mac, Linux, other??

The most current version would be best, assuming you have Windows direct download link here.

I haven't used it in a while. But it's a little complicated to figure out at first (on the Mac version anyway).

Register a username (if you haven't already).

And then go onto Project Central - Login - And you should be able to upload your scripts, if you need to (to back up or display it on the web).

Don't know if I've explained this well, but once you get the hang of the basic functions. You should find it useful.

Does anyone know if it's possible to export a Celtx project to Word/PDF?

Not sure about word? But if you click on 'TypeSet' tab at the bottom of your project/script. It'll convert it into PDF and then you save/export it.

Looks like there are plenty of pdf-word converters about. Not sure how good they are but this looks like the first non-trial free one Google found: http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf2word/index.asp

Dan