Nerd News Page 25

Quote: chipolata @ May 29 2009, 10:11 AM BST

Does it ultimately matter if they remake and reboot everything?

Well, I'd rather see something new, then a ropey version of something I've already seen is all. There have obviously been a few good remakes over the years, but not many.

Quote: Gavin @ May 29 2009, 10:10 AM BST

They are reebooting Predator as well

Quote: chipolata @ May 29 2009, 10:11 AM BST

And Robocop, with the guy who directed The Westler, I think.

Oh dear. :(

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2009, 10:15 AM BST

Well, I'd rather see something new, then a ropey version of something I've already seen is all. There have obviously been a few good remakes over the years, but not many.

Firstly, we're talking about mainstream Hollywood blockbusters here, which are essentially fluff. When you come to the end of the year and think of the great movies you've seen, the chances are they were smaller-scale ones, not the over-hyped Summer movies.

And secondly, new stuff will continue to break through. The year Attack of the Clones came out the runaway smash was The Matrix. And last year Iron Man came from nowhere to be one of the years most fun films. So you're always going to get new stuff in amongst the tired old reboots.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2009, 10:15 AM BST

It's stupid. Doesn't move the franchises forward. If they want to do a Predator/Robocop do new stories.

Quote: chipolata @ May 29 2009, 10:18 AM BST

Firstly, we're talking about mainstream Hollywood blockbusters here, which are essentially fluff. When you come to the end of the year and think of the great movies you've seen, the chances are they were smaller-scale ones, not the over-hyped Summer movies.

And secondly, new stuff will continue to break through. The year Attack of the Clones came out the runaway smash was The Matrix. And last year Iron Man came from nowhere to be one of the years most fun films. So you're always going to get new stuff in amongst the tired old reboots.

So, as well as not being allowed to be tired of seeing Susan Boyle, I'm also not allowed to be tired of rubbish remakes? Why don't you PM me this stuff first before I go and make a fool of myself?

Quote: Gavin @ May 29 2009, 10:18 AM BST

If they want to do a Predator/Robocop do new stories.

Yeah, I agree with that. Shitty sequels I don't mind for some reason.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2009, 10:22 AM BST

before I go and make a fool of myself?

We both know it's too late for that. Unimpressed

Speaking of Robocop, there's some videos on YouTube of a guy driving around present-day Detroit, which is where the movie was filmed back in '87, and the place now looks just like the it did in the movie. The city is filled with abandoned buildings and houses, and apparently there's only one cinema in the city centre.

Quote: catskillz @ May 29 2009, 9:16 PM BST

Speaking of Robocop, there's some videos on YouTube of a guy driving around present-day Detroit, which is where the movie was filmed back in '87, and the place now looks just like the it did in the movie. The city is filled with abandoned buildings and houses, and apparently there's only one cinema in the city centre.

Wasn't Detroit a big car manufacturing city? That's probably why, when you consider the state of the American car industry nowadays.

Detroit was the center of the U.S. automotive industry. It's also one of the nastiest, most blighted ghettos in the country and has been for decades. There are plenty of surrounding areas that are just fine, but the city itself is crumbling.

Some streets are filled with abandoned mansions, and even the city's gigantic train station (imagine London's Euston, but twice as big) is now empty, with every window smashed. Apparently, the place is becoming such a ghost town, that all sorts of wildlife, that even old men who have spent their whole lives in the city have never seen, is now regularly being spotted there.

Quote: Gavin @ May 29 2009, 10:18 AM BST

It's stupid. Doesn't move the franchises forward. If they want to do a Predator/Robocop do new stories.

Predator VS Robocop
Predator wins. Robocop is too slow.

Quote: Curt @ June 1 2009, 4:37 PM BST

Predator VS Robocop
Predator wins. Robocop is too slow.

Robocop gets owned by anything though, slow and weak joints. Like the OAP of cyborgs.

Next Superman film should be 'The Death of Superman.'

Didn't they just do that one? ;)

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 1 2009, 8:50 PM BST

Didn't they just do that one? ;)

No they f**king wussed out. Proper Death of Superman film. :D Come on it'll be better then the re-reboot their planning.