Status report Page 6,176

That's the Oxford comma. Some people include it, some don't. Either is fine.
I think it's more used by Americans.
I like it because it makes things more neat and clear.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st November 2023, 8:17 AM

eg red, yellow, blue, and green. Is that right?

It is yes otherwise blue and green would be seen more as blue & green or blue/green, a combo rather than two more separates.

It depends on what you are trying to convey. If you wanted to convey four separate colours you would just write "red, yellow, blue and green" (without the Oxford comma). However, if you wanted to convey three colours, one of which is stripes, you would write "red, yellow, and blue and green" (with the Oxford comma).

Likewise if you wanted to convey a meeting of two people, both of whom were your offspring (named John & Robert), you would write: "those attending were my two sons, John and Robert". If, however, you wanted to convey that there were four people there - your sons (who are called Paul & James) plus two other people called John & Robert - you would use the Oxford comma and write: "those attending were my two sons, John, and Robert".

Quote: zooo @ 1st November 2023, 8:22 AM

That's the Oxford comma. Some people include it, some don't. Either is fine.
I think it's more used by Americans.
I like it because it makes things more neat and clear.

The Americans are well known grammar pedants which is ridiculous given what crimes they've committed on the English language like sox and their daft pronunciation. Being punctilious myself I tend to overuse it although I don't like the look of it, I just fear being sneered at for poor grammar.

Where it does have a practical use is in scriptwriting, as it should act like a brief pause or a beat. spit spit - I hate that American word I refuse to use in scripts.

Right. Thank you, I'll stop telling Grammarly to f**k off when it 'red lines my 'and without a comma.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st November 2023, 8:55 AM

Right. Thank you, I'll stop telling Grammarly to f**k off when it 'red lines my 'and without a comma.

The problem is that Grammarly (whatever that is) doesn't know whether you have four separate colours or three, one of which is striped!

Don't entirely agree with all the aforementioned - I always use a comma after a 'list' such as "red, green, blue, and..........." IF what follows is on totally different subject. For example, "red, green, blue, and fat and thin" - otherwise, if they were all colours, you would/could go on forever with commas i.e., "red, green, blue, puce, purple, etc. etc."

What I do agree with is the Americanisations creeping in, because they have no idea of how to speak proper English like what we do.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st November 2023, 8:50 AM

their daft pronunciation

If I had the time or energy, I'd gather a list of hundreds of words commonly mispronounced by (English) English speakers.

Be out of bed in a few hours time to get in the queue for the Tesco 6am opening for Christmas shopping slots.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2023, 12:13 AM

Be out of bed in a few hours time to get in the queue for the Tesco 6am opening for Christmas shopping slots.

Booked 😊 Quite easy this year - was in the shop at 1 minute passed 6, which is the quickest it's ever been.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2023, 6:08 AM

Booked 😊 Quite easy this year - was in the shop at 1 minute passed 6, which is the quickest it's ever been.

Is it nearly Christmas then?

Quote: Chappers @ 7th November 2023, 7:48 AM

Is it nearly Christmas then?

It is if you want to book a delivery slot! It's panic every year and every man (yes, or woman) for him(her)self!

Did you order Easter Eggs too while you were at it?

No, they didn't have them in stock! Bloody Tesco...............

I bought 3 Caramac bars the other week

That was the kiss of death...

🍫