I think we've upset someone Page 21

Yes.

And can I just say I think he's great.

*turns over new leaf to be more self-promotional*

Great, I've now got to page through over twenty pages to find out what the Karl Rove of BBC comedy said.

No probs, chip.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ October 8 2008, 1:14 PM BST

Thanks people. Glad to have kicked something off. My blog was written in response to a post on my previous entry and not, sadly, inspired by here. You'll all be thrilled to know that Coming of Age audience figures and share increased in the second week, and that it's in considerable demand on the i-Player. Pip pip!

PS Chipolata is a tit.

Did he really say that about me? Teary

Yes, but I edited it out to save your feelings.

He also did a crude pencil drawing of you sucking off a camel.

Quote: zooo @ October 8 2008, 3:14 PM BST

I don't mind that. Camels have humps so it'd be like sucking off a ladyboy. That I can live with. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ October 8 2008, 3:07 PM BST

Great, I've now got to page through over twenty pages to find out what the Karl Rove of BBC comedy said.

Surely Lee Attwater?

For goodnesss sake if SootyJ is listening don't say Sarah Palin, Micheal.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ October 8 2008, 3:52 PM BST

Surely Lee Attwater?

Nah, he's your double, Jon Plowman. :)

Quote: zooo @ October 8 2008, 3:14 PM BST

Yes, but I edited it out to save your feelings.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ October 8 2008, 3:15 PM BST

I don't mind that. Camels have humps so it'd be like sucking off a ladyboy. That I can live with. ;)

Just like Coca-Cola, only the real thing will do.

And Perry, that timeline was simply superb.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ October 8 2008, 3:52 PM BST

Surely Lee Attwater?

:D

I thought you might have been reading this thread Michael ;)

Just going back on the anonymity thing... I can see why people have reasons not to post under their real name. For example, you'll not find my surname anywhere on this website - it's not because it's a secret, I just try to keep my work identity seperate from running this site (plus, I don't want any more creepy people adding me to their Facebook profiles :P).

I don't think the internet can ever compare to face-to-face conversations in terms of civility. Even if you use do your real name, the fact is that there's an inanimate screen that won't cry at you between you and the production team you're criticising, which makes it much easier to jump to rash criticism. I think that's just human nature. For example, I'm pretty sure if I met Tim Dawson (the Coming Of Age writer), I'd be very polite to him and find positives to say about his show, rather than what I've done on here.

Human fallibility or not though, Micheal's original post is quite right... new broadcast comedy, particularly mainstream audience grabbers, in the main gets a right kicking on the internet and that's because we're all too snobby and quick to pass judgement on a show rather than giving it time to bed down (yet we're quick to complain when a commissioner doesn't give a show a second chance).

How far away is New Year's?... I feel a resolution forming.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 12:12 PM BST

I've been thinking about dumping the pseudonym and starting again under my own name.

Just to mention: if anyone does want to change their display name, rather than starting a new account talk to me or Aaron as we can manually alter your account name for you. But we'll only do this if you want to swap from a pseudonym to your real name (or visa-versa). And it is a one-off change. Plus may cause others confusion. So think carefully first.

Quote: Mark @ October 8 2008, 7:21 PM BST

:D

I thought you might have been reading this thread Michael ;)

Just to mention: if anyone does want to change their display name, rather than starting a new account talk to me or Aaron as we can manually alter your account name for you. But we'll only do this if you want to swap from a pseudonym to your real name (or visa-versa). And it is a one-off change. Plus may cause others confusion. So think carefully first.

Scary!

Actually, I really would prefer to start a new account - wipe the slate clean. I probably won't do though.

I see my name as a stage name rather than pseudonym. My name is Frank btw and the Rage bit is a semi-anagram of my real name anyway. I have posted on forums using my real name, but the posts were no better.

Quote: Finck @ October 8 2008, 12:19 PM BST

No, it wouldn't. In the early days of the usenet there was a strict rule of using real names on some servers. It didn't soften (or whatever) the conversations in the slightest.

The internet has been around for a while, so have forums. Everyone knows that the language gets a bit rougher in written communication (just pick up a newspaper opinion/review page; and those people have much more power with regard to the things they're smashing to pieces in their columns than we have).

And it *is* a matter of honesty to not praise something you thought was shit. As a writer you might want to phrase it differently, but we're not all writers, we're the audience. Well, that part of the audience that actually gives a shit and will maybe watch a rerun or even buy a DVD.

Also, there are good reasons for not using real names and if someone chooses to do so, it should be respected.

Finck is, of course, my complete real name. I'm not a coward.

I should qualify that I was talking about pseudonyms in regards to writers (this is the writers part of the forum after all). I get that some writers feel the need to protect their privacy but I think some do it in order to be able to behave a certain way without fear of reprisal. That's just cowardice in my view. That's not to say that honesty is about praising something undeservedly, I just believe that writers should (if at all possible) be held accountable for the statements they make. If it's worth saying, say it as a person, not an avatar.