Sunshine

Craig Cash and Phil Mealey's latest offering 'Sunshine' starts this Tuesday on BBC One at 9pm. Its the first of a three part mini-series and stars Steve Coogan as a bin man with a gambling problem.

I hope it's going to be good seeing as in IMAO they should have spent the time writing a third series of Early Doors instead of a comedy drama.

The world needs more episodes of Early Doors!

:D

Much as I love anything Steve Coogan does, I wish he'd f**k off TV for a while. I have to defend everything I write against the "it's too much like a Steve Coogan script" at the moment, like that should be a criticism of the writing! Trouble is one can imagine Coogan doing every character one writes.

Still, looking forward to this. Nice to see Craig Cash back writing. :)

This show has got some fantastic preview reviews so I have high hopes, but yes I'd agree - Early Doors series three would have been more welcome.

I'm getting a bit behind, but our guide to Sunshine should be online later on Monday.

Personally I'm a bit gutted as I've been working on a gambling-related comedy. I'll definitely watch if only to see how much slimmer my already slim chances of getting anywhere with it have become. Guess I might have to cross Baby Cow off the list.

On the plus side I could just look on Sunshine as a binman-related comedy drama.

I'm really looking forward to this, I'm a big fan of the writers and Coogan too. I hope they do bring back Early Doors as it was brilliant. It could run for series after series - such a great mix of characters.

Quote: Greg @ October 5 2008, 11:59 PM BST

Can't argue with that.

I want to see if crime cracked itself yet. Oops off-topic... err... Sunshine - looks good. Huh?

Er. Yeah.

I liked it. It was what I thought it was going to be; a gentle, light drama, rather than an actual comedy.

As a drama, it was passable. As a comedy, it must violate numerous advertising laws.

And Craig Cash looked ill.

Quote: Aaron @ October 7 2008, 10:07 PM BST

And Craig Cash looked ill.

He's definitely been on a diet.

Quote: Aaron @ October 7 2008, 10:07 PM BST

As a drama, it was passable. As a comedy, it must violate numerous advertising laws.

I think people are thinking/saying comedy more because of the fact that Coogans in it and people known as comedy writers wrote it; because it definitely wasn't a comedy. It was a light drama with in a faintly humorous vein.

Quote: Greg @ October 5 2008, 11:59 PM BST

:D

Nobody on this forum has ever been so correct. I salute you sir. To the regiment! I wish I was there!

My favourite Early Doors line:

"I once saw Tommy drop 5p on the floor - he bent down to pick it up so quickly it hit him on the back of the head."

I had no idea Sunshine was a Cash project.

Just watched this. Thoroughly enjoyed it, felt very reassuring and homely and had me smiling throughout. On a stupidly-nitpicking level I thought Steve Coogan could've maybe scaled back his performance a bit - he seemed a tad full-on considering the general tone of the show - but really, really good. Definitely one to watch again.
Obviously not singling Coogan out as the weak link - the man's a God.

And yes, Craig Cash did look a bit peaky didn't he? But then he's not really been onscreen for a few years.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 12:17 AM BST

My favourite Early Doors line:

"I once saw Tommy drop 5p on the floor - he bent down to pick it up so quickly it hit him on the back of the head."

I had no idea Sunshine was a Cash project.

That joke is ancient.
I remember kids saying that about tight-fisted people at my school.
It was a stand-up comedian who first did that gag in the 80's.