Working class sitcoms... Page 2

Woo hoo for the Primark massive! :D

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 1:06 PM BST

There's a very interesting document which can be found on t'InterWebs, detailing the consultation and planning process the last time the BBC website was completely re-done. A bunch of different personas like that.

That's because apart from the Queen and Brian from Big Brother. Everybody now is already middle class so they are now just finding different sub catergories.

:)

(Lidl do on occasion have some good hardware type stuff though. Not the consumable food shizzle, mind.)

:D

What's that other one that sounds like Lidl...?

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 1:07 PM BST

That's because apart from the Queen and Brian from Big Brother. Everybody now is already middle class so they are now just finding different sub catergories.

Oh no, not at all. Some of them were proper working class types. They were clearly individual, not subcategories, as you put it.

Aldi?

Has anyone ever shopped in Wilkinsons? Haven't myself, but it looks ideal for the proletariat.

Sitcoms are often stereotypes of all classes - therefore everyone understands them. My Family features a middle-class family, but I suppose everyone can 'recognise' the characters (even if it's "me dentist is just like that funny bloke").

But I've found that only people wo have experienced real working class backgrounds 'get' The Royle Family, which is probably the most accurate and warm portrayal of the working class family (can't think of another at the moment). Also I can't think of a non-working class character who appeared in The Royale Family.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 1:09 PM BST

Oh no, not at all. Some of them were proper working class types. They were clearly individual, not subcategories, as you put it.

But the working class is now lower middle class.

Aldi! That's it!

Noo, I go in Wilkinson's too! It's fun in there.

Quote: zooo @ August 15 2008, 1:08 PM BST

What's that other one that sounds like Lidl...?

Aldi.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 15 2008, 1:09 PM BST

Has anyone ever shopped in Wilkinsons? Haven't myself, but it looks ideal for the proletariat.

I've only ever popped into one a couple of times. But on zooo's recommendation, I'll have to venture further. Because I'm cheap. :)

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 1:10 PM BST

But the working class is now lower middle class.

*sigh* Nevermind.

And I don't, so I must be proper middle class!

Wish I were upper though.

*weeps*

When I say 'experienced' a working class background it could have just been your friends you hung out with, or a relative though...

I get The Royle Family.
My dad was pretty working class before we got the mansion in the country though. ;)