Working class sitcoms...

Not sure if we've discussed this before, but can anybody think of sitcoms that are aimed at the working classes, or whatever passes for them nowadays. Most seem to be aimed at the middle-classes.

All sitcoms by their very nature are middle class. For goodness sake does nobody read Karl Marx anymore!

:)

There it is again.

The Likely Lads two weren't exactly intended for leafy suburbia.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 12:29 PM BST

All sitcoms by their very nature are middle class. For goodness sake does nobody read Karl Marx anymore!

There it is again.

All sitcoms NOW seem middle-class. Twenty or thirty years ago Fools and Horses, Dads Army etc, seemed to have a broader appeal.

Do you mean current(ish) ones, Chipo?
Like the Royle Family?

Aimed at the working class or in a working class setting? The Royle Family had a working class setting, but I suspect My Family is aimed more at working class demographic..

Quote: chipolata @ August 15 2008, 12:31 PM BST

All sitcoms NOW seem middle-class. Twenty or thirty years ago Fools and Horses, Dads Army etc, seemed to have a broader appeal.

It's nothing to do with seeming. They are the products of a bourgoise society so they are themselves middle class. The subject matter is irrelevant. It is part of the establishment's toolkit towards the embourgoisement of everyone. The working class should be in a cold theatre watching Brecht not in a cosy suburban home on the sofa watching sitcoms and eating Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 12:36 PM BST

The working class should be in a cold theatre watching Brecht not in a cosy suburban home on the sofa watching sitcoms and eating Kentucky Fried Chicken enslaved and working for Aaron.

Till Death Us Do Part seems to fit the bill what with its constant labour/tory rants etc.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 12:54 PM BST

I reckon The Green Green Grass is aimed at the working class.

Not sure who it is aimed at, but I am surprised it hasn't had the Countryside Alliance marching on London with pitchforks.

I would be frankly shocked if any sitcom was deliberately targetted at any "class", as though it were thought to be inaccessible to those of any other "class". The reality is, whatever the setting for a sitcom, the great ones find fans in all "classes". OFAH, Fawlty, Porridge, Til Death Us Do Part, these touched the hearts of the British of all backgrounds. (Saying that, On The Buses was just for the plebs.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 15 2008, 12:59 PM BST

The reality is, whatever the setting for a sitcom, the great ones find fans in all "classes". OFAH, Fawlty, Porridge, Til Death Us Do Part, these touched the hearts of the British of all backgrounds.

Verrrrrry true.

I do however think that the business bods at the channel probably do focus on a certain class, among everything else. They like to write lists about their perfect viewer on a white board in coloured pens.

female
working class
reads Heat
shops in Primark
etc.

True, like Touch Me I'm Karen Taylor:

Demographic: Men who like big tits
Chapman

Quote: zooo @ August 15 2008, 1:02 PM BST

Verrrrrry true.

I do however think that the business bods at the channel probably do focus on a certain class, among everything else. They like to write lists about their perfect viewer on a white board in coloured pens.

female
working class
reads Heat
shops in Primark
etc.

Has a 4-year old labrador called Missy.

There's a very interesting document which can be found on t'InterWebs, detailing the consultation and planning process the last time the BBC website was completely re-done. A bunch of different personas like that.

Strangely though, there weren't any of the normal male middle-class types included.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 15 2008, 1:04 PM BST

True, like Touch Me I'm Karen Taylor:

Demographic: Men who like big tits
Chapman

Laughing out loud

And Little Miss Jocelyn:
Demographic: Black women
Idiots

I read Heat and shop in Primark. :(

I should change it to Take A Break and erm... Lidl.