The Olympics Page 127

Quote: chipolata @ 9th August 2021, 6:40 AM

It is weird that many right wingers seemed to celebrate when some American athletes lost because they were perceived as "woke." That is a very strange patriotism.

The joke was that Trump was commenting on a picture circulating that supposedly showed some of the team standing (Trump: "There were, however, a few Patriots standing.") but the rest kneeling.
The picture was from February.
F**king idiot.
He also said "the woman with the blue hair... played terribly".
Megan Rapinoe played well, actually scored two goals - leading goalscorer in the match, as it happens.
Buffoon.

Not a big fan and glad to see it over really, apart from it gave me an opportunity to catch up on DVDs. For me the BBC coverage has been, as usual, lopsided covering skinny people in Lycra running somewhere.

What I've always enjoyed in the past has been Weightlifting, which was well covered, but this time barely a mentch - YET we get skateboarding, BMX and to rub salt into the wound f**king baseball! So when will cricket feature? Or darts? Or shove ha'penny? Or hopscotch? Or............

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th August 2021, 11:50 AM

Not a big fan and glad to see it over really, apart from it gave me an opportunity to catch up on DVDs. For me the BBC coverage has been, as usual, lopsided covering skinny people in Lycra running somewhere.

What I've always enjoyed in the past has been Weightlifting, which was well covered, but this time barely a mentch - YET we get skateboarding, BMX and to rub salt into the wound f**king baseball! So when will cricket feature? Or darts? Or shove ha'penny? Or hopscotch? Or............

To be fair, Britain is now a BMX superpower.

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th August 2021, 11:14 AM

The joke was that Trump was commenting on a picture circulating that supposedly showed some of the team standing (Trump: "There were, however, a few Patriots standing.") but the rest kneeling.
The picture was from February.
F**king idiot.
He also said "the woman with the blue hair... played terribly".
Megan Rapinoe played well, actually scored two goals - leading goalscorer in the match, as it happens.
Buffoon.

Nobody promotes hate quite as effectively as Trump.

Quote: chipolata @ 9th August 2021, 11:54 AM

To be fair, Britain is now a BMX superpower.

wow :|

Quote: chipolata @ 9th August 2021, 11:54 AM

Nobody promotes hate quite as effectively as Trump.

I don't know. Putin, KIm Jong-Un, Xi Jinping & the president of Belarus all seem to be pretty effective. If anything I would say Trump was not very effective at it. A lot of bluster perhaps but not very effective.

I'm always reminded at these times of those great words of Margaret Thatcher.

You's all pommel if you want to. This horse is not for pommelling.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th August 2021, 12:54 PM

I don't know. Putin, KIm Jong-Un, Xi Jinping & the president of Belarus all seem to be pretty effective.

Speaking of Belarus, yesterday we happened upon some sort of demonstration in Prague's main square. A cop told us that they were protesting the president of Belarus.

EDIT: Most of the crowd were draped in what I assumed was either a Czech or Belarus flag, but a Google search shows that they were Czech flags.

I'm always reminded at these times of those great words of Jim Callaghan.

Crisis? What radish? What, what.

23 March - A Key Date for Britain in The Olympics

The most successful male British Olympian by gold medals won is Jason Kenny, who has won seven gold medals in track cycling. He is followed by Sir Chris Hoy who won six. Steve Redgrave won gold medals at five consecutive Olympic Games, the only man ever to have done so.

All three have birthdays on 23 March.

Not only this but Sir Mo Farah, the most successful British track athlete in modern Olympic Games history, was also born on 23 March. The date of course is exactly nine months - and you have to think here of the most likely date they were conceived - after 23 June which is formally annual World Olympic Day.

So my question is simply this.

Just how long are we going to have to wait for Damon Albarn and Princess Eugenie - who were also born on 23 March - to get off their fat behinds and do something equally useful?

Riding a bike? What's so clever about that without drugs?

So, Breakdancing is to be included in the next Olympics - what next?

Changing the wheel on a car?

Peeling 5 Kg. potatoes?

Changing a duvet cover?

FFS....................

Breakdancing needs strength, dexterity, balance and posture, so it's no less valid than a lot of Olympic sports or disciplines. Hell, it's probably harder than curling.

They've had worse events

i.e. poetry

Quote: chipolata @ 24th July 2023, 10:50 AM

Breakdancing needs strength, dexterity, balance and posture, so it's no less valid than a lot of Olympic sports or disciplines. Hell, it's probably harder than curling.

There are a hell of a lot of things that require those attributes, but that doesn't make them sports, which "dancing" (and I use that word very loosely) isn't.

And why is it harder than curling, which requires a lot of skill, which breakdancing doesn't. ALSO, it brings me on to the point that there should be no sport that requires a panel of judges to decide who is the winner. First past the post, heaviest weight lifted, furthest thrown etc. is defining - anything else is someone's opinion.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th July 2023, 12:33 AM

There are a hell of a lot of things that require those attributes, but that doesn't make them sports, which "dancing" (and I use that word very loosely) isn't.

And why is it harder than curling, which requires a lot of skill, which breakdancing doesn't. ALSO, it brings me on to the point that there should be no sport that requires a panel of judges to decide who is the winner. First past the post, heaviest weight lifted, furthest thrown etc. is defining - anything else is someone's opinion.

There are a lot of Olympic sports that require judges: gymnastics, diving, ice skating and ski jumping. And doesn't boxing require judges?

I'm looking forward to watching the breakdancing. I reckon GB may be in with a shout for a medal.