Are sitcoms essentially disposable trash? Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ July 24 2008, 12:39 PM BST

1. Are even the best examples of the art - Fawtly Towers, The Office, Peep Show - doomed to be forgotten?

2. Even hugely well regarded and popular shows of just a few decades seem forgotten about now.

1. How you can suggest that 'The Office' and 'Peep Show' are in the same league as 'Fawlty Towers' is beyond me. If 'FT' is at the top of the Premiership then the other two are definitely bottom half of the First Division!

2. There are a few sitcoms thirty and forty years old that are being talked about still, some still repeated on TV and all head and shoulders above anything 'new' on telly now, e.g. 'Dad's Army', 'Hancock's Half Hour', 'Steptoe & Son', 'Sgnt Bilko', to name but eighteen!

3. Re your avatar ... are you really that pretty? (swoon)

Frankie xxx :-)

Quote: Griff @ July 24 2008, 6:40 PM BST

So, what was the last play you went to see, Pete ? What kinds of plays do you enjoy ?

Me? A few good men was the last i saw....was very good.

I'm not saying all plays are great but it's a bit odd that a writer dismisses them so easily.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 24 2008, 11:47 PM BST

1. How you can suggest that 'The Office' and 'Peep Show' are in the same league as 'Fawlty Towers' is beyond me. If 'FT' is at the top of the Premiership then the other two are definitely bottom half of the First Division!

But you don't particularly like any new sitcoms do you?
Because they're new, seems like.

I'll bet there were old buggers like you when Fawlty Towers came out, saying it wasn't a patch on Steptoe and Son. :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 24 2008, 11:47 PM BST

You beat me to it. Whilst Peep Show is at worst a 'not-half-bad' programme, it will NOT be one of the things even we watch in 50-odd years time. The Office, I'm not entirely sure about. The ultimate point of the guy trying to impress and whatnot will undoubtedly resonate for hundreds of years to come, but the workplace setting will, I expect, become increasingly alienated for each generation of new viewers. Not that that's a law that it will therefore be shite, re Red Dwarf discussion earlier.

I would quite happily place The Office alongside Fawlty Towers as they were both ground-breaking in their day. The Office is having the same adulation that FT got in it's day and in 10-15 years, when the hype has died down, I am sure The Office will stand up very well to critical attention.

Neither comedy would get into my super league ;)

Quote: zooo @ July 25 2008, 12:08 AM BST

But you don't particularly like any new sitcoms do you?
Because they're new, seems like.

I'll bet there were old buggers like you when Fawlty Towers came out, saying it wasn't a patch on Steptoe and Son. :)

You would say that, just typical of you to be ageist! :)

Quote: Griff @ July 25 2008, 12:09 AM BST

Do you know, I might not have been entirely serious, Pete.

How would i know that? You just said plays were rubbish for no reason.

Quote: Griff @ July 25 2008, 12:09 AM BST

Seeing as how I mostly write for theatre and all that.

Why would I know that? (and why would i care?)

Quote: chipolata @ July 25 2008, 9:52 AM BST

Words fail chipolata.

It's often the best way Chip, when in doubt, say nowt! ;)

The Ronan Keating principle in full flight.

I don't know why Chipolata doesn't just delete his posts. I'll have to put in some more mechanisms for posting regulation.

Quote: Aaron @ July 25 2008, 1:07 PM BST

I don't know why Chipolata doesn't just delete his posts. I'll have to put in some more mechanisms for posting regulation.

Teary

(Packs bags and leaves for Chortle. Gets there. Unpacks. Looks around. Repacks bags and heads back to BSG)