Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

I've never seen it. Got dvd for my birthday. I'm home alone tonight. Is it worth watching all in one go? I know nothing about it but am extremely intrigued...

If you watch it, I'll watch it too (never seen it either).

Watch it! It's fantastic.
Be good to watch it all in one go too, I reckon. It creates a certain, atmosphere.

Just got into Darkplace myself recently. Love it. Particularly love Matt Berry as Dr Sanchez.

Saw Garth Marenghi at the Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Royal Albert Hall a few weeks ago, and was brilliant.

It is...(dreaded word)...cult viewing.

Watch it all in one go and then watch it all again with the hilarious commentary from Merenghi, Learner and Rivers.

A superb series :)

Quote: shaggy292 @ May 30 2008, 11:47 AM BST

Just got into Darkplace myself recently. Love it. Particularly love Matt Berry as Dr Sanchez.

I think you'll find that Todd Rivers portrayed Dr Sanchez. Who is this Matt Berry you talk about?
:D

Matt Berry's (sorry Todd Rivers') overacting is the high point of the series ("Get *down*, Dag!!!"). Quality.

The hammy acting might be too much to take in one sitting, mind. Three eps at a time may be easier on your brain.

It is a great series though.

Dan

Quote: monkeybeard @ May 30 2008, 11:49 AM BST

I think you'll find that Todd Rivers portrayed Dr Sanchez. Who is this Matt Berry you talk about?
:D

Laughing out loud Yes, sorry.

'Behave like a cheapskate and expect the shitty portion' - Lucien Sanchez, Quality! Quality! (Dare I repeat myself) Quality! :)

I love this comedy so much. The effort they put into making the continuity so deliberately bad was impressive.

In hindsight I'm glad it only lasted one series though - the novelty of the idea would have worn down over time and the clichés tired and over-used.

As for One Track Lover, I still think that's the best song in the world!!! Matt Berry did an amazing job creating that, and Richard Ayoade's rap at the end - perfect. Love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH4_mZh-bj8

al_gernon - let us know what you thought when you've seen it. It is a bit of an acquired taste.

Quote: shaggy292 @ May 30 2008, 11:47 AM BST

Saw Garth Marenghi at the Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Royal Albert Hall a few weeks ago, and was brilliant.

It is...(dreaded word)...cult viewing.

I was there too, it was amazing! :D

It really is worth watching, and it's one of the few series that I'll re-watch on a fairly regular-ish basis. :)

Big, big shame about the spin-off Dean Learner thing. That has to go down as one of the biggest disappointments in British Comedy History, along with Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

Quote: catskillz @ June 1 2008, 1:27 PM BST

That has to go down as one of the biggest disappointments in British Comedy History...

Is that an idea for a thread I smell or are you wearing old socks?

Both.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is easily one of the best comedies of the last 10 years.

It seemed like I waited an eternity for the DVD to finally come out.

The extras on the DVD are class, by the way.

"You and he were... 'buddies'... weren't you?"

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

I've recently bought this on dvd, but like most of the dvd's I buy, I haven't watched it yet.

Def.