Bread vs. Porridge Page 2

It's like the news paper heading about the woman who head butted some guy in the high street.

HONEY NUT'S LOOPS. >_<

hmm this thread should not even exist, Clement and La Frenais were and still are one of the top comedy writing duo this country has produced who came up with a good comedy series in Porridge

So im going with Porridge on this one

Quote: Tuumble @ May 12 2008, 1:36 PM BST

Yes, I know how to spell cereal - I was trying to be clever. TV serial...geddit?

Nevermind...

I got it. But I think Aaron's pedantry overcame his sense of humour. It's an automatic reflex action I'm afraid.

It must be just me then because I can't really ever get into Porridge.

I don't hate it but I do go out of my way to watch it either.

I just guess a sitcom set in a prison just doesn't attracts me.

Quote: Richard Wells @ May 14 2008, 10:20 PM BST

It must be just me then because I can't really ever get into Porridge.

You climb up the side of the saucepan.

Hardly seen any Bread, but never really found it funny.

Porridge on the other hand, I love. Fletcher has to be one of the best British comedy characters ever.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 14 2008, 10:21 PM BST

You climb up the side of the saucepan.

Not if you happen to microwave it

:D

I like Porridge best. I used to like Bread but not anymore.

Bread actress Gilly Coman dies aged 50

RIP

Porridge is and remains awesome. "What with these feet" always cracks me up everytime. It is one of my fav lines in comedy ever!

Quote: Charley @ July 17 2010, 1:21 PM BST

Porridge is and remains awesome. "What with these feet" always cracks me up everytime. It is one of my fav lines in comedy ever!

What was the joke again? I thought that was Morecambe and Wise.

Quote: Chappers @ July 17 2010, 1:25 PM BST

What was the joke again? I thought that was Morecambe and Wise.

You thought wrong then dickhead. :D It is all over prison shoes.

Oh yes - I remember now. I got confused and thought it was bread. Loafers maybe.

You could probably make a porridge out of bread, if you really had to.

Carla Lane did write some okay shows, I would say Butterflies was really quite good myself, easily her best, but they were all a tad emotional maybe, for sitcoms. But Bread (which must be her most overtly 'funny' and sitcommy sitcom) turned me off right from the first episode, I just didn't like the idea of it and I hated most of the characters, especially the mouthy one. The attempted pathos of a hard working class family getting by was too cringey for me.

Porridge was just class from the very first minute, and I can only think of a couple of other sitcoms, FT and The Office where nearly every single episode was a classic or near classic. Then again it had only three series (I think) which does make it easier to achieve this. I think Alan Partridge achieved it in series two. Does Bread have ANY unforgettable standout episodes?

I like both Porridge and Bread. They are somewhat different styles, so they each bring something different.

A while ago I watched an episode or two of Bread and it didn't do much for me. But then I sat down sometime later and watch a couple of series (or more - can't remember) and really enjoyed it and thought how good it was. It does seem to have dated more than Porridge in some ways, partly I think because prison life might have changed less in some respects than the outside world.

One thing I didn't like about Bread when it was first around was they kept changing the actors. However, that doesn't seem to bother me these days.

Some sitcoms do seem to date more than other though.