Has anyone ever considered moving to America? Page 2

If you've never lived out of the UK before then that is good enough reason to go. 'Broaden your horizons' is a cliche but its a true one.

I read that Texas is absorbing a huge number of British immigrants. It must be true because I hear quite a few English accents when I'm out on the town. Cheap housing is drawing people to San Antonio from all over the place. Where else can you buy a new 2500 sq ft home for under $200,000? Check realtor.com and you'll see why people are flocking here from overpriced places like California. (I'm one of them.)

Quote: Griff @ April 21 2008, 8:21 PM BST

Me, I went to live in Australia for three years.

But I'd recommend living abroad for a year or two. I certainly found it a life-changing experience.

I lived in Aus for 8 months, and it really was a life changing experience. I agree with Griff about living abroad for a year or too. You certainly appreciate what we have at home, but learn a lot too.

I haven't been abroad since 1998. To South Africa.

Their TV consisted of nothing but UK and US shows. I think there were a few homegrown shows, but not many.

I should be going to Paris later this year. I've been there before and liked it. I also want to go Italy.

And shouldn't this be in General Discussion? I should be a mod. I really should.

I remember seeing this funny US sitcom whilst I was there, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I'd never heard of it at the time and never heard of it since.

Quote: Winterlight @ April 21 2008, 8:47 PM BST

And shouldn't this be in General Discussion? I should be a mod. I really should.

Unfortunately my powers do not venture to this land. I shall mention to one of my buddy's to move it over to my domain! So I can watch it for naughty behaviour! :P

That's ok. I forgive you this time, Ellie. This time.

Quote: James Williams @ April 21 2008, 8:09 PM BST

Yeah, I fancy living in France.
*Cue consternation from Aaron*

Beyond help, you are!

Quote: EllieJP @ April 21 2008, 8:56 PM BST

Unfortunately my powers do not venture to this land. I shall mention to one of my buddy's to move it over to my domain! So I can watch it for naughty behaviour! :P

buddies* Unimpressed

Quote: Winterlight @ April 21 2008, 8:47 PM BST

And shouldn't this be in General Discussion?

Yes it should. Naughty catskillz! Naughty!

In answer to the original (implied) question, no. Vegas is f**king amazing and is the only place in the US that I'm really longing to go back to, but I couldn't ever imagine myself living there.

In summary, agreed:

Quote: Winterlight @ April 21 2008, 8:02 PM BST

Nah. I like England too much.

Quote: Griff @ April 21 2008, 8:48 PM BST

Minus the homegrown SA shows probably.

Ever see the series "Charlie Jade?"? Not a comedy, but it was a really great SA/Canadian show. I don't think it ever aired in the US, but it's readily found online. I keep hoping for another series or two, but it seems to have stalled out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jade

Quote: catskillz @ April 21 2008, 7:56 PM BST

I've been getting a bit fed up recently, and I feel like I need to make a massive change in my life. I was wondering whether I should give America a try.

What part of America? Almost every state is different and the differences are even greater between the North and south, east and west.
I love being in Texas, and most of them are really nice people BUT for a Northerner their humidity is unbearable in the summer! They don't breath air, they drink it. You know a beautiful state that gets ignored a lot? West Virginia it's absolutely gorgeous. Ok I'm rambling now.

Before Curt came on I was going to say the USA has never really appealed to be - but Canada sounds a lot cleaner and open - and it's not filled with Yanks!

Actually, I should've made myself more clear, in my original post, I was thinking about America, purely for the writing opportunities it might offer.

Sorry, got carried away with the whole living away from UK!

But anyway - America seems like a great place to live, but I get kind of frustrated by the people there. I'm not sure I could cope with them.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 21 2008, 9:57 PM BST

Before Curt came on I was going to say the USA has never really appealed to be - but Canada sounds a lot cleaner and open - and it's not filled with Yanks!

We are the big country with the small population and hey...we're still Commonwealth :)

Quote: Curt @ April 21 2008, 10:23 PM BST

We are the big country with the small population and hey...we're still Commonwealth :)

With the emphasis being on Common!