No sport sitcoms? Page 3

I came third in the sack race one sports day.

The Quebecers over here have their Les Boys about a group of hockey players. It was originally a popular movie with a crap load of sequels.
I think an "Office" type show about some football players would be hilarious. it could be predominantly about them and their pampered lifestyles, and sort of like Arrested Development thing.
Aaaany ways I'm just rambling now. :)

Edited for Aaron: Les = The :P

Les Boys? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

I have to put up with real sport on tv, don't ruin my comedy

Maybe 'The Cup' has killed the chances of anything sports-related being commissioned for a while - I can't think of anything else being so reviled across the board. The point that British sitcoms are about failure while the thrill of sport is success could be one reason why it's barely worked. Also, comedy writers are often quite superior towards sportsmen and sports fans; it tends to be seen as something to mock rather than satirise.

Didn't Ian Pattison do a football based sitcom starring the barman out of Rab C. Nesbitt?

Atletico Partick.

It may only be a single episode, but I think the 'Golden Gordon' story in 'Ripping Yarns' is just about the best sporting comedy that TV has managed.

Quote: Ian G @ September 28 2008, 9:39 PM BST

It may only be a single episode, but I think the 'Golden Gordon' story in 'Ripping Yarns' is just about the best sporting comedy that TV has managed.

Here here.

I think Alan Partridge's sport reports in The Day Today were brilliant and probably the best thing about the show but I don't know if I'd want a whole show of them. I think it's quite good to have an episode within a sitcom based on sport but not sure about a whole sitcom based on sport, I think it could get a bit repetitive. I have just been watching series 2 of Still Game where Winston is playing golf, I think it's a great episode.

Arguably the most successful sport sitcom (albeit for kids) was Renford Rejects on Nickelodeon/Channel 4. The first two series were particularly good and the show benefited right from the word go for having a hook for teenage boys.

Or in other words, her...

I used to watch 'The Renford Rejects' all the time when I was a kid, well whenever it was on Channel 4. I have no recollection though of the girl in that picture. I just remember the kid who thought he was Italian and the other one who wore a Hull FC shirt.

Blimey. I'd totally forgotten about her. She was a better player than any of the others.

Never really liked her that much though. Probably the sport thing, putting me off.

Quote: Aaron @ October 2 2008, 11:05 AM BST

Never really liked her that much though. Probably the sport thing, putting me off.

Were you picked last for teams in PE, Aaron?

Not if I could help it.