Anyone watch (the) football? Page 2

Yes.

I wasn't surprised to see that Liverpool had won, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get past Chelsea as well. Anyone think United will be going the distance this year?

Walcott's run was amazing. It should have been the matchwinner.

I hope United get to the final. I just dread the thought of a Barcelona semi-final. They're one of those teams we always struggle to beat.

I was made to watch it by a friend, and although I'm a rugby girl myself...got to admit Walcott's run was indeed amazing. Even though footy players are all cheating softies!

Seriously what is so good about Walcott's run? I just watched it again. He beat one man, Alonso I think it is, at the start, then doesn't have to beat another player on the way. Aurelio was too far away, Mascherano never caught up, he ran past Hyypia. Good end product, sure, but not amazing run.

Quote: EllieJP @ April 9 2008, 11:20 AM BST

I was made to watch it by a friend, and although I'm a rugby girl myself...got to admit Walcott's run was indeed amazing. Even though footy players are all cheating softies!

I really tried to like rugby but just can't. It's got no flare or style, just run one way and try to break as many bones as you can in the process.
There is a good reason football is so much more popular.

Quote: Charisma @ April 9 2008, 10:22 AM BST

Why should he get a knighthood? All they've won in the last 5 years is one FA Cup. That is an awful record.

You raise a valid point, sir. I just love the way he gets the team playing, and the fact that he does it on a quarter the budget of the other big clubs.

Quote: Charisma @ April 9 2008, 11:45 AM BST

Seriously what is so good about Walcott's run? I just watched it again. He beat one man, Alonso I think it is, at the start, then doesn't have to beat another player on the way. Aurelio was too far away, Mascherano never caught up, he ran past Hyypia. Good end product, sure, but not amazing run.

Err... the answer to that is in all the papers and punditry since he did it. Maybe you can read that if you seriously don't believe that was an exceptional run. ;)

Quote: Winterlight @ April 9 2008, 11:17 AM BST

I hope United get to the final. I just dread the thought of a Barcelona semi-final. They're one of those teams we always struggle to beat.

Don't worry a few teams struggle to beat Barca ;)

They are having a poor year though by their high standards. It will be an amazing semi-final line-up. No weak teams and I would say no favourites.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 9 2008, 12:16 PM BST

Err... the answer to that is in all the papers and punditry since he did it. Maybe you can read that if you seriously don't believe that was an exceptional run. ;)

Ahhh, yes the media, who know exactly what they're talking about. They're not biased by the fact that he's English at all are they?

This is the same media who claimed that if Liverpool weren't rotating and played Torres more then they'd be challenging for the title....Torres has only been left out twice in the league when he was fit, a maximum of 4 pts they could have gained with him. But the papers and pundits said it, so it must be true.

EDIT: thats not a go at you mate, I just don't like the media. :)

Quote: ian_w @ April 9 2008, 12:09 PM BST

You raise a valid point, sir. I just love the way he gets the team playing, and the fact that he does it on a quarter the budget of the other big clubs.

Ah yes, they do play very good football indeed. If I didn't have friends who are Arsenal fans and piss me off incredibly talking about how lovely the football they play is, then I'd quite like them to win. But they keep winning nothing!

Here's a good quote for you...

"Arsenal is a unique team," Mourinho told Gazzetta Della Sport. "Their coach hasn't won anything for years and is still an idol. There is no pressure at Arsenal. But do not say he is growing young players into talents. What he does is take young players who are jewels and polishes them. It's different. He has time to work in a serene atmosphere and get results."

Quote: ian_w @ April 9 2008, 12:09 PM BST

I really tried to like rugby but just can't. It's got no flare or style, just run one way and try to break as many bones as you can in the process.
There is a good reason football is so much more popular.

Football's a poor-man's sport. That's why. Less players, so you don't need as much money to buy your team mates presents at Christmas etc. ;)

On the other hand, there is the old saying that "football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians and rugby is a ruffians game played by gentlemen".

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2008, 12:24 PM BST

Football's a poor-man's sport. That's why. Less players, so you don't need as much money to buy your team mates presents at Christmas etc. ;)

On the other hand, there is the old saying that "football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians and rugby is a ruffians game played by gentlemen".

And I think these days there's a lot of truth in that saying. It used to be a working man's sport but times have change quiiiiite a lot.
And have you seen the price of tickets lately? I have to pay 20 quid just to get into a game in the basement division in an 8000 capacity stadium.

Don't worry a few teams struggle to beat Barca ;)

They are having a poor year though by their high standards. It will be an amazing semi-final line-up. No weak teams and I would say no favourites.
[/quote]

Come On Roma!

LIke Ellie me rugby fan too. But did enjoy that footy game. Just a little mention for Cardiff City. Crap game, great result.

Quote: roscoff @ April 9 2008, 2:15 PM BST

LIke Ellie me rugby fan too.

Must add, not all rugby fans speak like Tarzan.

Ug?

Quote: Charisma @ April 9 2008, 12:22 PM BST

Ahhh, yes the media, who know exactly what they're talking about. They're not biased by the fact that he's English at all are they?

This is the same media who claimed that if Liverpool weren't rotating and played Torres more then they'd be challenging for the title....Torres has only been left out twice in the league when he was fit, a maximum of 4 pts they could have gained with him. But the papers and pundits said it, so it must be true.

EDIT: thats not a go at you mate, I just don't like the media. :)

Ah yes, they do play very good football indeed. If I didn't have friends who are Arsenal fans and piss me off incredibly talking about how lovely the football they play is, then I'd quite like them to win. But they keep winning nothing!

Here's a good quote for you...

"Arsenal is a unique team," Mourinho told Gazzetta Della Sport. "Their coach hasn't won anything for years and is still an idol. There is no pressure at Arsenal. But do not say he is growing young players into talents. What he does is take young players who are jewels and polishes them. It's different. He has time to work in a serene atmosphere and get results."

OK, my view on the goal was that he picked it up outside his own box, he wasn't one-on-one from there, he had plenty of Liverpool players between him and the goal, he used great pace and ball control to outpace most of the players and when he need to use a bit of skill he did, plus the composure he had at the end was great. Do you see goals like this every week? No. And that's why I, and I guess many others, thought it was a great goal.

Agree. Great goal. Great run. One 'caveat', he was fresh and Liverpool players obviously tiring. Still a great run though.