Anyone watch (the) football? Page 3

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 9 2008, 2:23 PM BST

OK, my view on the goal was that he picked it up outside his own box, he wasn't one-on-one from there, he had plenty of Liverpool players between him and the goal, he used great pace and ball control to outpace most of the players and when he need to use a bit of skill he did, plus the composure he had at the end was great. Do you see goals like this every week? No. And that's why I, and I guess many others, thought it was a great goal.

The thing is, he wasn't closed down or put under any real pressure from any Liverpool players once he got into the Liverpool half. He didn't have to beat a man. Running with the ball shouldn't be a challenge for any professional. All he needed was pace, and then composure at the end...hmm, yeah alright, but he did have 3 men to pick out and 1 defender to avoid. Good run, but not amazing. What I'm saying is if he wasn't young and English, people wouldn't see it as such a great goal. And that is a fact.

Quote: Charisma @ April 9 2008, 2:34 PM BST

What I'm saying is if he wasn't young and English, people wouldn't see it as such a great goal. And that is a fact.

But come on, we need all the optimism we can get at the minute.

We get way too much optimism....every world cup, this is our chance to win it, we've got all these world class players...then every world cup we don't - simply because we're not as good as we keep making out! If we get optimistic about Walcott like this, then when he doesn't perform (because he won't, it's impossible to do that every match) then the media will get on his back and then he won't play well again for ages (see Lampard). Just pisses me off that's all.

I seem to be in a really fowl mood today.....first time I've been on here in ages too! Ah well, I'm gonna keep being grumpy and be the only person who doesn't think Walcott's any good :D:D

Looking from the outside in. England's national side suffer from two things. The top sides are mainly made up of all foreign players. When England play they never seem to play with guts and determination. Why I don't know. It seems playing for country is second to playing for club, which is very poor if true. Arsenal are a great side. Walcott being one of the few Englishman on the pitch!

Quote: Charisma @ April 9 2008, 2:42 PM BST

We get way too much optimism....every world cup, this is our chance to win it, we've got all these world class players...then every world cup we don't - simply because we're not as good as we keep making out! If we get optimistic about Walcott like this, then when he doesn't perform (because he won't, it's impossible to do that every match) then the media will get on his back and then he won't play well again for ages (see Lampard). Just pisses me off that's all.

I seem to be in a really fowl mood today.....first time I've been on here in ages too! Ah well, I'm gonna keep being grumpy and be the only person who doesn't think Walcott's any good :D:D

Having said that though, the issue reminds me a bit of Owen's super goal against the Argies. Suddenly everyone's in agreement that we must include Owen in future line-ups. Was he going to score a goal like that every game? No, of course not, but at least we had a glimpse of what he was capable of doing.

Quote: roscoff @ April 9 2008, 3:10 PM BST

It seems playing for country is second to playing for club, which is very poor if true.

You don't need to be on the outside to notice that.
I have so many theories, money is of course up there in the top 5.

Great game of football between Liverpool and Arsenal. Very dissapointed though to see the Scouse c**ts win though. Great fan of Kolo Toure, but was very clumsy and shouldn't have given away that penalty. Phillip Senderos lost them the game - shocking marking. Nice to see my team - Manchester United - get through as well.

Quote: Paul Carroll @ April 9 2008, 10:09 PM BST

Scouse c**ts? See all us scousers are as popular as ever. lol It really was a great game last night. Atmosphere was amazing and can't wait for Chelsea and then United in the final. Moscow here we come!

If Liverpool get Utd in the final, they will lose. I think that's a certainty.

As a United fan- I would love the chance to play Liverpool in the final- but wouldn't be too confident, nowhere near as confident as I was in the recent League game. Also talking to a Liverpool fan today about the recent bad form of keeper Jose Reina. Don't worry, he's a great Keeper in an awful bad bit of form. Edwin Van Der Sar went through a similar thing at this stage last season, he's got out of it, got back to his brilliant best again and pretty sure Reina can do the same.

Quote: Paul Carroll @ April 9 2008, 10:33 PM BST

Seefacts, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Don't get me wrong I believe Manchester United are the best team in the league and defintley deserve to win the league. But in Europe Liverpool are a different team even against English opposition (Chelsea last few years and Arsenal last night.)And don't forget, we never had a chance against Milan when we were 3 - 0 down at half time. Anything is possible.

Yeeeeeeah, but Benitez v Utd - it's not good reading.

Add to that Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez and Fergie's unended desire to get his second Euro cup so he can retire happy, I think they'd win.

But hey, in Europe you never know - it'd be good a game though, without a doubt.

I fancy Liverpool to beat Chelsea too. Draw at Stamford Bridge, then probably a 2-1 at Anfield.

Hopefully Benitez will then decide to try and win the BLOODY league once in a while next season.

And don't forget, we never had a chance against Milan when we were 3 - 0 down at half time. Anything is possible.

One of the best games of football I've ever seen.
Gerrard was phenominal - why can't he do that for his country?

One thing though- players like Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez and will certainly compliment the great match if it happens. As a United fan for twenty years- Ronaldo is the best player I've ever seen, but in a United v Liverpool final, the two most important men are Ferdinand and Vidic. On there day, nobody can score against them.

Quote: ian_w @ April 9 2008, 12:03 AM BST

Wenger needs an honourary knighthood.

Don't be stupid. Only Manchester United managers get knighted.

Seefacts, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Don't get me wrong I believe Manchester United are the best team in the league and defintley deserve to win the league.

They only deserve it if they get more points than anyone else. Come on you Blues!

Quote: Seefacts @ April 9 2008, 10:38 PM BST

Hopefully Benitez will then decide to try and win the BLOODY league once in a while next season.

They seem to think winning the European Cup means they're good. But they're basically crap.

Anyone can raise themselves for the odd game.

So did those scummy bastards get through tonight then?

All I care about is that my Blue boys beat Liverpool to the last qualifying spot, for next season's Champions' League. Unfortunately, we'll probably miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish on equal points with them, but miss out on Goal Difference.

You are aware that even if you finish 4th, it's only the UEFA cup for the toffees if Liverpool win the Champions League?