What is "Fair Game" in comedy? Page 2

Quote: KJSmyling @ March 11, 2008, 11:32 PM

You are Gethin Price and I claim my £5.00 ...

kjs

Whose Gethin Price?

n.b. I say let racists out in to the blaring light of day, and make their silly jokes. It's worth noting how despised and silly Jade, and Nick Nick looked recently. Don't allow the scoundrels their undesereved notoriety.

A subject you can joke about, loses so much power, and danger.

Quote: Ondupe @ March 11, 2008, 11:36 PM

it's ok for someone who has tolerant and acceptable views to make a "racist" joke, it's not ok for a racist to make the exact same joke.

Double standards? All or nothing in my book. It's whether the joke (on an individual basis) is told with malice or not, that counts IMO.

David Tennant played Gethin Price once!!

(in The Comedians)

Quote: sootyj @ March 11, 2008, 11:41 PM

It's worth noting how despised and silly Jade, and Nick Nick looked recently.

I have no idea who this Nick Nick is, but to be far to the Jade Monster, she made the least "offensive" remark(s) in the whole debacle, and was totally scapegoated and preyed upon by the media.

Quote: sootyj @ March 11, 2008, 11:41 PM

Whose Gethin Price?

Perhaps the finest character in the best play about the nature of comedy ever written... http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1044487/

kjs

Sooo true about Jade.
And I can't even remember the real racist's name. Danielle? She was horrific.

Danielle Lloyd, I think?

F**k knows how I remember that.

That is also fair. Didn't want to type Jim Nick Nick Davidson for fear of him appearing in a cloud of sulphur.

As for offensive jokes, I'll stick with the hate speech definition (pretty much the legal one).

If one intends to cause actual harm (be it physical, financial, or emotional), to a specific person, or group of persons. This generally does not include mockery, and comedy.

Certainly having watched White Girl, and the RIvers of Blood documentary. They throw open very interesting questions about racism.

I tried to forget she exists.

Quote: sootyj @ March 11, 2008, 11:49 PM

Didn't want to type Jim Nick Nick Davidson for fear of him appearing in a cloud of sulphur.

But 'Nick Nick'? Am I missing something?

Danielle Lloyd,
"Behind her perfectly formed chest, beats a very small, and black heart,"
Read that in the Guardian, and she shagged a judge in Ms England.

She was definitely the most racist.

Ok I fess up that was a really lousy example. Far more about manipulation at Endemol.

Saw a documentary about David Ike, and a failed attempt to stop him speaking in Montreal. By the end the silly bastards trying to ban him, had made him a hero, with packed out audiences, and 1000s of books sold.

Quote: zooo @ March 11, 2008, 11:49 PM

I tried to forget she exists.

As did I. Not because she's apparently racist. Just 'cos she seemed to be another talentless "who?" 'celebrity'.

All good reasons!

Quote: sootyj @ March 11, 2008, 11:53 PM

Danielle Lloyd,
"Behind her perfectly formed chest, beats a very small, and black heart,"
Read that in the Guardian, and she shagged a judge in Ms England.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ March 11, 2008, 11:53 PM

Saw a documentary about David Ike, and a failed attempt to stop him speaking in Montreal. By the end the silly bastards trying to ban him, had made him a hero, with packed out audiences, and 1000s of books sold.

Is he one of them mentals who reckons that the Nazis were actually best mates with Jews?

Quote: zooo @ March 11, 2008, 11:57 PM

All good reasons!

And I should have added, only mildly attractive despite being loved by all the mens' mags.

But then that's hardly anything new.

David Ike is a wanderous man. He thinks the royal family are reptiles, only wears purple, and tried to rebuild The Isle of White railway over leigh lines, to give himself magic powers.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMq6gc1yMg

Truly he is a mental, magical national treasure.

He also doesn't like Jews, but I think by Jews he means evil robots that live at the heart of the Earth.

He was also a professional goalie, and sports presenter.