What is "Fair Game" in comedy? Page 5

Quote: David Chapman @ March 24, 2008, 2:59 PM

But they are aren't they?

Martin Luther King?

See now imagine that line to an audience of 400 English people, and one American. Expat Americans are probably one of the smaller minorities in this country.

Quote: sootyj @ March 24, 2008, 3:14 PM

Martin Luther King?

See now imagine that line to an audience of 400 English people, and one American. Expat Americans are probably one of the smaller minorities in this country.

What about English white, able bodied, hetero-sexuals?

See the view for me is, it isn't that certain people are off limits. It's more every one is a fair target, providing you are aware of your intent.

I think it's highly depressing how the white working class, have been relabeled chavs. From White Girl, to East Enders, via Viki Pollard, I think they deserve a bit of a break.

The white middle classes don't get let off the hook either.

Quote: sootyj @ March 24, 2008, 2:51 PM

The more I think about this subject, the more I think it's intent, mor than content.

Precisely. No subject should be inherently off-limits. The context and tone should always be taken into account. For example, I believe that all people are racist to some extent. But not necessarily maliciously so. It doesn't mean that we all go around proclaiming death to the sub-species black people or anything like that, which seems to have been put into the public's mind as inextricably linked to 'racism'.

There's a world of difference between a joke about racism and a racist joke.

Quote: Antony Wheeler @ March 24, 2008, 2:33 PM

There was a time when jokes about 'blacks' and 'poofs' were deemed acceptable...

This reminds me of something I spotted the other day, and keep forgetting to mention. It seems that jokes about all builders etc being Polish are the 'in' thing at the moment. Even Marcus Brigstocke, a person who instinctively springs to mind for me when considering anti-racism comedians, made a joke about them. But would you get a joke about the Paki shop? Would you f**k.

Maybe, if you used the word Pakistani.

There is no insulting word for the Polish. (is there? not that I want to know it.)

Certianly as a Jew, I get so sick, and tired of the way you can be pretty grossly antisemitic. As long as you claim, you're infact an anti Zionist.

I also know a lot of Black people, who can't bear the way you can mock Black people for being "inauthentic." Little Ms Jocelyn et al, portray heinously racist jokes, and then call themselves PC because it's by Black people.

It's actually what Stalin used to do.

Quote: zooo @ March 24, 2008, 3:25 PM

Maybe, if you used the word Pakistani.

Doesn't matter what word you use, if any at all. Could be Indians, and I'm not aware of an 'insulting' term for them. You just wouldn't have it happening! Double standards if I ever saw any.

Quote: zooo @ March 24, 2008, 3:25 PM

There is no insulting word for the Polish. (is there? not that I want to know it.)

I dunno. Erm. *scratches head* Communist cock-suckers? *shrug*

sootyj - Again, it's all double standards. "Alright for us, not for you." People will always copy what one says. If a black man refers to himself as a nigger, then he has no right to get pissy if someone else does too. I can't even begin to count the number of asian people I used to know who'd call themselves as Pakis. But if they so much as suspected that you'd THOUGHT the word, they'd be going f**king livid. It's all or nothing with that kind of thing. Using such words desensitises them (and rightly so IMO), so don't be surprised when they get used by others.

Quote: Griff @ March 24, 2008, 3:36 PM

Americans talk about "Polacks" and have a famous tradition of "Polack jokes", much along the lines of the "Irish jokes" we used to have in this country.

Used to?!

I rarely leave the house, so am not the best person to ask, in all honesty!

Someone sent me one of those chain email joke thingies recently that was an Irish joke.

First one I've heard in years.

Oo oo, tell! Tell!

Apropo of nothing. I didn't know till recently that Lenny Henrys big break, was on The Black and White Minstrel Show. Go figure.

I hate the way that ground breakers like Lenny Bruce, Love thy Nieghbour are judged by future generations. Generations who never went through the struggles the makers of these shows went through.

I also get very pissed at being told, I can't enjoy The Merchant of Venice as it's antisemitic.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_45_14/ai_53409122

Be that'll make you spit tea on your keyboard!

I deleted it!

I don't think I read it either. Sorry. :)