Love Soup Series 2 Page 17

Do I get a fanfare for reaching 200 posts in less than a week?

Just a 100 weeks to go to reach 20,000 :D

You can do it!!

Quote: Aaron @ May 19 2008, 6:21 PM BST

The one to the disabled woman? It was a bit contrived, was it not?

You could say that but I prefer to say he, (Renwick), used a prop to make a point about aloneness, (not loneliness).

Anyway, the soliloquy starts after she's once again been shat on by the idiot barman. She starts in on the soliloquy, as she walks away out of the pub grounds. What she says seems entirely logical after she as good as apologises to the barman for his bad manners, but this being Renwick her soliloquy cuts straight into the next scene without missing a beat. It's we, the viewer who are now on the back-foot. Renwick doesn't take prisoners. He might as well say: keep up at the back there. You're left wondering, is the crippled wheelchair victim a metaphor for able-bodied people like Alice? Or a symbol that even a wheelchair victim has found a better relationship than Alice can?

The soliloquy, didn't ring 100% true to me, as it showed Alice with too much self awareness. (Or maybe that was the intention; to signal journey's end? And as it was the last episode it would indicate that Alice would no longer apologise first to those who trod on HER foot.

But no, I'm sticking to my belief that Renwick himself was spouting forth and not the character.

Interesting to see writers' renowned for such great imagination at work. The arrest of Alice on terrorist charges in an earlier episode is clearly Renwick picking up on media reports of heightened airport security in response to terrorist activity and the willingness of the public to give up some of their hard won liberty forever. No 9/11 or 7/7 and would his imagination have thought up such an episode? Similarly I remember reports of an attractive young girl crippled for life and confined, immobilised to a wheelchair. Writers don't live in a vacuum. They hoover this stuff up.

And Alan, no, I missed the BBC4 interview - drat! Will I be able to recover it on the BBC's iplayer I wonder?

Quote: Danny K @ May 19 2008, 7:17 PM BST

You're left wondering, is the crippled wheelchair victim a metaphor for able-bodied people like Alice? Or a symbol that even a wheelchair victim has found a better relationship than Alice can?

Were we supposed to think that?
I was left feeling *very* uncomfortable about that relationship! She did not look happy at all.

Can we go and rescue her please?

And Alan, no, I missed the BBC4 interview - drat! Will I be able to recover it on the BBC's iplayer I wonder?

I'll send you a DVD of it if you send me your postal addy - you deserve it for such incredibly eloquent and insightful posts so far.

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ May 19 2008, 7:23 PM BST

I'll send you a DVD of it if you send me your postal addy - you deserve it for such incredibly eloquent and insightful posts so far.

Cheers for that Alan. Just been and checked on iplayer and it's a no-go. So I'd be more than grateful to see that interview. Just sent you an email with postal addy etc.,

"eloquent and insightful", Nooooo - I'm a newbie here, so I'm sat up straight, knees together like Alice, sleeves pulled tidily. So I'm on best behaviour that's all.

Give me a week or so and I'll be farting at will!

I've mulled it over a little more and another thing that annoys me about this last series is how many guest 'stars' there were, practically one every episode, soo many many chracters, they were never so many in series one. And also why did we have to follow their lives, a far as I'm concerned if Alice isn't in the scene, or it's not a flashback of one of her friends experiences I'm not interested. I mean what was with following Doug to that girls house (the triplets thing) - the show isn't about these characters, they're supporting players - it's become much more on ensemble piece not the concentration of Greig/Landes that made the first series so charming. Booo. Angry

Who's Will?

Quote: zooo @ May 19 2008, 7:49 PM BST

Who's Will?

Hope he has a gas mask

Quote: Danny K @ May 19 2008, 7:44 PM BST

Cheers for that Alan. Just been and checked on iplayer and it's a no-go. So I'd be more than grateful to see that interview. Just sent you an email with postal addy etc.,

Strange, I don't have anything in my inbox but if Aaron is the postman then it could take a while ;)

Quote: zooo @ May 19 2008, 7:22 PM BST

Were we supposed to think that?
I was left feeling *very* uncomfortable about that relationship! She did not look happy at all.

Can we go and rescue her please?

True, that came over too. Did Alice's 'landlady' have a point? In other words, the immobilised wheelchair girl would make the best blow-up sex doll ever. Not that I'ver seen a blow-up doll. (Well I have at a bootsale) - as I walked past it, honest!

I was looking to see if the wheelchair beauty was going to shed a tear at the end - then your uncomfortableness would have been well founded. But after staring open-eyed and listening to Alice, the camera zooms in ultra close and she blinks in a very deliberate way, as if she's understood what Alice has said and how it also applies to her own predicament.

But what a sex doll! I could sell loads like that on eBay.

You're left wondering, is the crippled wheelchair victim a metaphor for able-bodied people like Alice? Or a symbol that even a wheelchair victim has found a better relationship than Alice can?

Erm... Are you? :S I just see a disabled woman unable to escape. Wheelchair victim though, eh? Did it beat her up? ;)

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ May 19 2008, 7:57 PM BST

Hope he has a gas mask

Strange, I don't have anything in my inbox but if Aaron is the postman then it could take a while ;)

Just in case there's an error with the email I've pasted over the details into the forum message system. That should work.

Is it there yet?
Is it there yet?
Is it there yet?
Is it there yet?
Is it there yet? . . .

Quote: Danny K @ May 19 2008, 8:14 PM BST

Just in case there's an error with the email I've pasted over the details into the forum message system. That should work.

Is it there yet?
Is it there yet?
Is it there yet?
Is it there yet?
Is it there yet? . . .

Ha ha ha, yes I got it and have replied. Aaron pulled his finger out and delivered the mail .. finally!

I blame the French!

"You're left wondering, is the crippled wheelchair victim a metaphor for able-bodied people like Alice? Or a symbol that even a wheelchair victim has found a better relationship than Alice can?"

Quote: Aaron @ May 19 2008, 8:05 PM BST

Erm... Are you? :S I just see a disabled woman unable to escape. Wheelchair victim though, eh? Did it beat her up? ;)

Well my 'eloquent and insightful' rep didn't last long. :$