Compare The Good Life and Birds of a Feather

I think birds has the edge in edginess and realities. <3

Noooooooo, please don't do this.

Personally Felicity Kendall in the mud will always work for me,

Birds left me flaccid,

Mind you neither were especially funny. I guess the two would be the first two, I'd pick if I was looking for an example of dull, middle of the road comedy. Pabulum for the masses. I mean Porrdidge, Ab Fab, or Dad's Army, are still stunning.

Still I suppose neither were as bad as Bread.

I think BOAF was and still is a very good sitcom I have seen every episode [apart from The Chigwell Years and I do think series 8 was not the best Series that they done.

Quote: sootyj @ February 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

Personally Felicity Kendall in the mud will always work for me,

Birds left me flaccid,

Mind you neither were especially funny. I guess the two would be the first two, I'd pick if I was looking for an example of dull, middle of the road comedy. Pabulum for the masses. I mean Porrdidge, Ab Fab, or Dad's Army, are still stunning.

Still I suppose neither were as bad as Bread.

No. Ab Fab is utter shite.

Fight!

I'm probably thinking season 1, I never really watched it constantly. It was quite good before it parodied it's self. Gadzooks are we actually comparing sitcoms, what do you think this is a sitcom forum?

You beat me to this Rockabilly. If you hadn't started it I was going to.

Yeah - Felicity was quite cute but almost every other man in the country was drooling over her.

Dorien was quite sexy in a ready for a shag at any time sort of a way* but I don't think anyone would really fancy Pauline or Linda.

* think Charley

Dorien would be like shagging Brian May in drag, only worse.

Still they both had a similar structure. 2 Sets of people divided by class, and wealth rubbing along together. By having too different setups they were an interesting example of building comedy from dissonance. Most sitcoms seem to involve people being stuck together, not next to each other.

That said I also Felicity Kendall, she's very sexy when she's disapproving.

I never thought in my wildest dreams....

Quote: Rockabilly @ February 23, 2008, 2:03 PM

I never thought in my wildest dreams....

eh ?

Quote: sootyj @ February 23, 2008, 1:56 PM

Still they both had a similar structure. 2 Sets of people divided by class, and wealth rubbing along together.

I hadn't really thought about the similarity like that although in TGL it was out of choice - turning their backs on luxury.

Im so happy ,Im gonna put more grease in my hair .

But it's still an interesting idea, I mean in Porridge they may have been guards and prisoners but they were still stuck together.

Most good sitcoms are quite gag free, and build humour, from plot, character, and conflict.

Gag heavy sitcoms, are not really sitcoms. An interesting example of this would be Dad's Army, very few funny lines, but quite hysterical.

Also true sitcoms stay funny for ever, because they ahve universal dramtic themes. Look at how the Young Ones has dared, as will Friends.

If the young ones was ever funny ,I for one never noticed.

Yeah, but at least Birds of a Feather was original. Kind of the reverse of Porridge actually, in some ways!