Britain's worst ever sitcom Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ February 15, 2008, 6:10 PM

And of course the hippie vegan next-door neighbours.

Oh bloody hell, I'd forgotton about that. More nightmares ahead tonight.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ February 15, 2008, 7:30 PM

Ben Elton’s Blessed is a Sitcom that make my angry, How the mighty has fallen.

A more than worthy candidate.

Celeb wasn't exactly a work of genius either.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 15, 2008, 7:36 PM

Oh bloody hell, I'd forgotton about that. More nightmares ahead tonight.

I blocked most of it out. Mental defence etc.

Yes of course. I agree "All about me" and "Blessed" were truly awful.

Funny the way you forget the crap.

Oh what about the Eddie Izzard sitcom Cows? Now that was bad

Ugh. God. That keeps popping up in my consciousness. I can safely say that, without exception, Cows is THE worst 'sitcom' to have EVER been produced.

I think I deserve a medal or something for forcing myself to watch the whole thing. Maybe one of Jake's girlfriend's legendary blow jobs?

... A whole freaking hour. >_<

(For those not in the know, it was an hour long pilot.)

We may as well close the thread now, because there's nothing going to go any lower than Cows. It made According To Bex look more like Blackadder.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 14, 2008, 10:09 AM

Does it deserve the bad reputation it has?

Half way through the series now, and I have to say that no, I don't think it does. It's no work of genius, but still rather amusing. To be honest, I really think that it's one of those shows which has matured with age. Being set in the future (2050) it's still a way off, but there's a lot of hindsight comedy to be had which wouldn't have been seen or appreciated by audiences in the late 70s. I can certainly understand why it has such a bad reputation, but with what we know now, I don't think it's really deserved any more. Almost ahead of its time in that respect.

The charactors played by Donald Hewlett and Michael Knowles- who played silly arses in It Aint Half Hot Mum and You Rang M'Lord- are they brilliantly stupid in CBMN. I think they make one hell of a team.

I wouldn't have 'brilliantly stupid', but they're not the most wise, astute men, no!

I think Baddiel's Syndrome deserves a dishonourable mention here.

Aw. I went to see that being filmed. It was all right!

Of course I never got to see the finished product on telly, cos I think it was only on Sky.

It was pretty dire. Kind of like a British Seinfeld but without te jokes. And Baddiel's acting was dreadful. He looked really lost.

Just back on Come Back Mrs. Noah for a minute, I've now finished watching the entire series, and would just like to echo my previous comments. It's not a great show. Not a Blackadder or Fawlty Towers rival. But I've seen far, far worse, and it doesn't even nearly deserve such a bad reputation as it has.

Any good quotes by the Michael Knowles and Donald Hewlett charactors you could put on the forum Aaron?

Not without rewatching I'm afraid! They're in a pretty similar vein to their other characters for the most part, so just think along the same lines. I'll have to make you a copy. :)

Quote: David Chapman @ February 14, 2008, 8:10 PM

I like Pulling and Shane - not pulling Shane - oh no!

Worst in my opinion was "Oh Doctor Beaching".

Ah yeh that awful railway sitcom, that was the pits. I liked Shane, thought it showed a lot of promise, and could have gone to a second series.