Britain's worst ever sitcom Page 5

I thought Shane was pretty good as well.

Though it didn't take much acting from Frank Skinner as he was pretty much just playing himself.

Quote: Tim Faithfull @ February 16, 2008, 11:30 PM

I liked Shane, thought it showed a lot of promise, and could have gone to a second series.

Quote: Aaron @ February 14, 2008, 9:49 PM

Interestingly, Shane was so bad that although a second series was made, it has never been broadcast. (I've never seen either, so can't comment.)

A couple of other worst sitcoms ever contenders:-

'The House That Jack Built' with Adam Faith and Gillian Taylforth was dreadful (sadly it had a good writing team behind it).

There was also a spin-off from ‘Just Good Friends’…can’t remember what it was called (based around Vince’s family living in Spain…I think)

Quote: Writer2K @ February 17, 2008, 10:04 AM

'The House That Jack Built' with Adam Faith and Gillian Taylforth was dreadful (sadly it had a good writing team behind it).

If he hadn't died, I think that there may have been another series planned.

Quote: Perry Nium @ February 14, 2008, 12:02 PM

"Shane" starring Frank Skinner was disappointing.

I liked it, it was a bit cheap and is just an excuse for crow-barred puns but it made me laugh.

The second series WASN'T shelved because it was shit, it was shelved because Skinner pissed off ITV by leaving.

Quote: Writer2K @ February 17, 2008, 10:04 AM

A couple of other worst sitcoms ever contenders:-

That did have the sexy blonde girl from The Upper Hand in though, so that was good.

I can remember the trailer - it had the daughter-in-law (to be?) slagging the family off and saying 'What next? They'll put a flag up?!' then REVEAL FLAG. Ahh, hilarious.

Quote: Tim Faithfull @ February 16, 2008, 11:30 PM

Ah yeh that awful railway sitcom, that was the pits.

It put the kibosh on MY railway sitcom too.

Who'd have thought the lingering memory of a terrible sitcom starring Paul Shane that went out when I was about 11 would affect me 13 years later.

Mad About Alice. I hate Jamie Theakston. Dick.

Quote: Seefacts @ February 17, 2008, 10:52 AM

The second series WASN'T shelved because it was shit, it was shelved because Skinner pissed off ITV by leaving.

After spending however many tens of thousands of Pounds, how pathetic!

Quote: wayne lewis @ February 17, 2008, 11:12 AM

Mad About Alice. I hate Jamie Theakston. Dick.

Laughing out loud

I remember watching Lee Evans So What Now and finding it brilliant! Got the DVD a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to watch ny of it yet, but I hope I find it as funny.

From reading about Heil Honey, I'm Home!, it would appear that I have to see it! It sounds brilliant!

Quote: liamgazza @ February 17, 2008, 11:12 PM

I remember watching Lee Evans So What Now and finding it brilliant! Got the DVD a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to watch ny of it yet, but I hope I find it as funny.

From reading about Heil Honey, I'm Home!, it would appear that I have to see it! It sounds brilliant!

I think 'Heil Honey' was made deliberately a bit shit - it wasn't a straight sitcom anyway, it was a 50s US sitcom spoof.

Still, it's good to know what guff BSkyB were coming out with before they got the football.

Well do remember that it wasn't a BSkyB show, and in fact it was they who cancelled it!

Quote: Aaron @ February 17, 2008, 11:22 PM

Well do remember that it wasn't a BSkyB show, and in fact it was they who cancelled it!

I wiki'd it and the link at the bottom of it's page took me full circle back to BSG.

DAMN YOU - I'M TRAPPED IN A PARADOX.

Noel Gay Television according to you, and directed by Juliet May, she of one episode of Red Dwarf before getting kicked off it for being shit fame.

Laughing out loud

Well - as I understand it anyway - it was a British Satellite Broadcasting (BSB) show. On their Galaxy channel, I think. ANYWAY. BSB were bought by Sky, the combined service becoming British Sky Broadcasting - BSkyB. The purchase took place at the time of broadcast, with the new owners immediately shelving the show.

Could be wrong, but as I say, that's how I understand it. :)

Quote: Aaron @ February 17, 2008, 10:06 AM

If he hadn't died, I think that there may have been another series planned.

Why would that stop them? Would his acting have been any worse?

Fair point! Laughing out loud

Bottle Boys was pretty damn awful. Though perhaps it crashes through the bottom of the scale past "embarrassing" and "jaw-droppingly peurile" and re-enters at the top at "genius"?