Green Wing - It's all over! Page 2

I loved it-so much so I couldnt sleep till 2 am! I loved it heaps. I especially liked the bit when Guy is tell Mac to tell Caro he loves her, and he says it so sincerly! I didnt like the balloons, I thought that was a bit foolish, even by GW standards, but I did like both Mac and Guy trying to catch her. I went to school and was screamed at by two others whod seen it, and one who hadnt and didnt want to have it spoiled for her...and Mac crying :( I was holding back the tears!
was Sue's new beau her actual real life hubby, or am I mistaken?

so...hmmm...i think i enjoyed it. my husband was VERY disappointed as he never thought there was chemistry between caroline and mac.

then again, we weren't all that crazy about series2 the first time through though can't get enough of it on DVD.

without certain comedic pairings (boyce & statham, joanna & harriet/office) there wassn't as big a pool to draw from. the office girls/lord of the flies thing went flat quickly and i agree with other who have mentioned the missing closure for harriet and lyndon.

while i wasn't expecting answers to every question (do we ever really want things as tidy as the finale of 'friends'?) i think we were left with way too many loose ends.

as for joanna and statham wandering off into the sea, i just assumed that since it was low-tide they were walking out as far as they could, then going further...and as the tide came in they'd be deeper and deeper and more and more tired and then drown. of course, this was all passing through my brain in a few, subconcious seconds then discussed with DH).

sigh...green wing is my favourite show ever.

ah I forgot how much Boycie missed Statham-hes like his daddy! and Ive just finished studying lord of the flies, and im shouting-oh! oh! oh! she can be jack! ... yeah im a bit odd

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ January 5, 2007, 6:31 PM

I loved it-so much so I couldnt sleep till 2 am! I loved it heaps. I especially liked the bit when Guy is tell Mac to tell Caro he loves her, and he says it so sincerly! I didnt like the balloons, I thought that was a bit foolish, even by GW standards, but I did like both Mac and Guy trying to catch her. I went to school and was screamed at by two others whod seen it, and one who hadnt and didnt want to have it spoiled for her...and Mac crying :( I was holding back the tears!
was Sue's new beau her actual real life hubby, or am I mistaken?

hey guys first post so i thought i'd make it about the special!

I LOVED IT! although there were some things that should have been expanded more perhaps, it was a sad yet brilliant way to end the series.
It's a shame we didnt find out about Lyndon though! and also joanna and statham committing suicide was sad :(

Anyway it provided a great topic at school today, much better than revision!

Oh and Sue's new beau was Jeremy Sheffield and she is married in real life to Jack Davenport.

ah we were getting exams back so we were "writing in correct answers independantly" or mourning mac in other words.... ah okay-they look similar i swear :$ and welcome by the way!

WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! IT'S FINISHED!

quite enjoyed the ending...still a bit open ended- makes me think there could be another special episode (so pathetic, isn't it? Just couldn't quite believe it's all over, and just 2 series!)

Hope that there will be more sitcoms as hilarious as GW. Will keep my fingers crossed!

I’ve always like as apposed to loved Green Wing, a case of style over substance in my view.

But once Joanna and Statham swim to safety a spin off with them would make great viewing.

Barry

I thought that was Sue's real life husband too! Oh well, I knew she was with some gorgeous actor type.

Overall... I don't really know what I thought of it, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as I'd hoped. However, the scene where Mac told Guy he was dying was great. (as in blub making)
And all the Alan scenes were hilarious, as always.

We saw his dinkle.

Hi I'm new here too.

I thought the ending was very clever indeed. I always didn't mind if mac snuffed so long as he and caroline made it in the end.
Everyone was a winner really.

And for those of us who don't like to think that mac is dying, or that Joanna and Statham died, we can imagine otherwise.

Guy still had the best lines though....

I'm with Green Faerie's husband here. Never did like the chemistry (well, lack thereof) between Mac and Caroline.

The balloons do seem to be causing a bit of controversy, don't they?! Personally, I think it could have been better, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how. A nice surrealty to close a very surreal show though. And rather calming, which was nice.

And miles better than the 'alternative' version on the DVD. >_<

And hello to Alex and Amy! :)

Thanks for the welcome,

What do you mean 'lack of chemistry'? The toilet kiss is one of the most romantic ever....

I agree that it wasn't so apparent in the special, especially in the marry-me bit.
Caroline and Mac were described somewhere in the press as the most romantic couple since pride and prejudice (have to reveal my shameful ignorance- can't remember their names).

I think there was chemistry, but maybe that's wishful thinking...

If that green wing special was on all day I'd still watch it, but it was just lacking slightly. Too predictable in my boook.

The Good stuff:
1.Alan & Joanna - their situations overshadowed the other stuff in the episode. Killing that shopkeeper, the gay man at the caravan park & the explosion.
2.Sue with the gun and the job oppurtunity scene.
3.The scene where Mac is with those kids.
4.Martin's sadness of learning Mac's impending death.
5.Never knowing Mac's name - however I'm sure I heard the name Derek.

The bad stuff:
1.The funeral - Martin's Sign language performance, why would the writers think that his character would have the courage to do that so perfectly in a church? Ludicrous idea and made no sense.
2.JRT's acting never quite cuts my mustard (his voice especially).
3. The wedding - all of it wanted a revamp. Kilts - why?
4.Office girls - they didn't go as wild as they really could've done. I'd have had them cause explosions in the office and all around the hospital. Would have been more of a laugh-possibly :$ .
5. So many things were left unanswered (see below)

A few things bug me that have never come to fruition during the series. Such as:
1.At the end of episode 7, series 2(i think its the one where they all go to the spicy bengal). Right at the end Joanna rubs the bottom of her glass and someone appears to her left as he puts the paper down > I was expecting that to be Guy's dad. Nothing.
2. Martin's dad. Where did that lead to? Should've gone further.
3. By the tree in the special, Mac says that Caroline should marry that tw*t, That could've meant Martin and should've meant Martin. Would've been a much better ending for Martin the underdog to get his woman.
4.What happened to Jake and Lyndon?
5.Sue White finding another man. It just didn't seem right. Maybe the writers just gave up on lunacy ideas for her at the end.
6.A crazed Holly should've interrupted the wedding and kidnapped Mac and driven off a cliff in a sort of suicide pact, leading to the credits.

There was probably a few more I can't remember...

OK maybe that was a bit comprehensive but since day 1 when i watched ep1 of green wing accidentally, I've been a fan and we waited a silly amount of time to see an ending which really could have been a bit more surprising. Still a good watch though. :D

YAY! Someone who agrees on the Caroline & Martin front!

Also, when Holly admitted that the kid wasn't Mac's, the writers seemed to hint that it might be someone else's in the show (ie Guy). They never mentioned that again either.

Ive only just watched this today, and have to say I thought it was great. Personally, Id like a Guy Secratan (?) spin-off, but my money is definitely on Statham and Joanna.